1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The PRS snob.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Oct 29, 2012.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar snob is simply a person who thinks he's better because of his guitar choices, and makes sure to tell you about it. Period. Doesn't matter if it's a Squier, a PRS, a CS Fender, a Gibson Historic or whatever. May even be a Tele snob or two out there!

Ever read this one-- "My partscaster blows away every CS guitar out there!"

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Still bitter at Gipson after all these years. ;):lol::lol:

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Is that real gold from the teeth of serfs that is plated on that guitar?

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

"My partscaster blows away every CS guitar out there!"

I would add to that "Squier" "MIM" and several Korean made Teles found abandoned and neglected in dumpsters. It seems a total waste of money, and aspiration to have any desire for a CS Fender when there are so many much more satisfying alternatives available.

5. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm, I guess your description is probably more accurate. So what do you call a guy that mistakes having expensive gear for having talent? Are they just dumb?

6. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Hmm - but my partscaster does blow away every CS guitar out there. That's because I made it out of the parts I like and that I found over 20 years of playing, and had it set up by a wonderful luthier (take a bow Eltham) - so, for me, it is my perfect guitar.

You might think its a piece of crap, but you don't play it.

That's the trouble with guitar snobbery, including inverse snobbery, there ain't no such thing as the best guitar.

For some it might even be a Squire. We all have different fingers and ears.

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I have partscasters, and they're really good guitars.

It's the attitude I'm talking about.

It's not enough for some to share their joy of owning a cool guitar, it has to "blow away" someone else's.

8. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

To me, it's the person playing it that gives a guitar most (if not all) of its 'character'.

9. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

My PRS is 27 years old. I play it thru a 30 year old amplifier.

Old guitar through an old amp.

My gigging Telecaster is 2 years old. I play it through a 2 year old amplifier.

10. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    I thought I had an old PRS. Mine is only 25 years old.

11. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I hate those guys! "Oh, I'm so superior and cultured because I watch 'Frontline' and 'Sesame Steet'!

;)

12. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

I've got a couple of high end PRSi (not silly-money private stock models though) and have always been wary of being mistaken for a guitar snob when I play out with them.

They've picked up a few dings along the way (that I'm not bothered about in the least) and they are fantastic players (my only reason for owning them).

However, I hold my Fenders in the same high regard and love playing them all.

13. sir humphrey

Yes - know what you mean. Then there's always the old trusted "if you don't think my favourite guitar is the best it's because you're not a good enough musician to appreciate it" tactic - usually used by people who couldn't play their way out of a three chord shuffle.

14. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Yeah, a guitar snob is someone who thinks his gear somehow makes him a better musician than you. Getting them to shut up and play is nearly impossible. Finding one that can make a G chord is even harder. But, at the end of the night, the guy with the chops is still the guy getting the girls.

At least, that's what I tell myself.

15. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

I have to admit I'm a vintage snob...........

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate the guys who buy expensive gear and put up giant signs on the outside of their million-dollar mansions advertising the fact that they have better gear than I do. You know, the kind of guys who walk up to complete strangers at a blues jam and flash their Guitar Center receipts in everyone's faces. Sometimes, they even rent billboards and put up huge ads that display their snobbery to everyone.

What? Is my fantasy rich-guy snob any less realistic than some of the other unlikely examples in this thread?

17. sir humphrey

[QUOTE="kelnet"

What? Is my fantasy rich-guy snob any less realistic than some of the other unlikely examples in this thread?[/QUOTE]

Yes

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Does anyone actually know someone who has $20,000 worth of gear and no desire to be able to play it?

19. deano_l

deano_l Tele-Meister

I dislike inverted snobery. The arrogance of someone who thinks he's better than you because he's poorer, more "real", more "down-to-earth". It's a form of class snobbery... you think you are better than me because you have this quality or that quality.

Its nonesense of course and just another form of arogance. The person who gushes over the squier they have bought in order to "keep it real" and "not be a rich areshole" is just as much of a foolish snob as the PRS owner who crows over their guitar as a sign of their wealth.

20. marc13

marc13 Tele-Meister

Pics or its not real!! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.