The PRS Custom: A Short History, do Tele guys like PRS's?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by fivewattworld, Dec 20, 2019.

1. fivewattworld

fivewattworld TDPRI Member

Well boys and girls I moved over the summer and that weekend process somehow became four months of settling in.

I did get back to work making new history vids but not settled enough to share them with all of you, though I know a bunch or you have subscribed to the channel in the mean time.

I just posted a new video on the "Short History of the PRS Custom" which is what the Custom 24 was called of course before the Custom 22 came along.

There seems to be a higher than average number of gear historians here on TDPRI and its one of the reasons I like to try to put the vids up here. The upside (downside) of that is that you teach me stuff that I didn't know or, (cough) I got wrong. Learning is the way to go and why I make the videos in the first place.

Thanks in advance. Best holiday wishes to everyone. Keith

2. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

Hey Keith! Welcome! Love your videos.. I wish you made more of 'em! :)

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

<<<<<< 1990 Custom

fivewattworld and Ron R like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Vox 046.JPG
    Hi Keith.....thanks for posting. I've seen many of your vids, and have really enjoyed them.
    To answer your question in the title, yes, this Telecaster player likes PRS guitars. I have owned a 1960 double cut Les Paul Jr since 1969, and IS (and will always be) my first love. A few years ago, I bought a PRS SE One.....a (more or less) new version of the Jr. Since I'm a compulsive modder, I had to add a tone control and later a neck pickup. I like this guitar, but when I got a Warmoth "conversion" neck for my Tele (with a Gibson 24 3/4" scale, fat profile and 1 11/16" at nut) I found my ideal guitar. I've since built a "backup" Tele, with the same spec neck. This way, I have a hybrid of a Gibson/PRS scale neck, with a Tele body, bridge and p/ups. I also prefer the "blue collar", utilitarian look of my Teles. A PRS is so beautiful and well finished (even the SE line) that I hate to take my SE One out anywhere. So, while I like the feel and sound of a PRS, I still always return to my Telecasters. ;)

5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I LOVE my '87 Tobacco Burst Custom.

fivewattworld likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

IIRC, Howard Leese of Heart was an early adopter too.

fivewattworld and nojazzhere like this.
  7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Hi Keith, I have enjoyed all your videos and appreciate the effort you put into them.

I like PRS but not enough to buy one yet. The Tele is just so raw, basic, and functional that it’s all the guitar I’ll ever need though I did add a Strat and Jazzmaster this year for the occasional change of pace.

I’ll never say never on a PRS because they are so well made. However, I’m happy with my Fenders for now.

Merry Christmas to you!
    Don

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

thanks for all the cool videos keith!

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Interesting video.
    I was at one point a 100% tele man, excepting my J-50.
    Now my PRSi outnumber my other electrics.
    I own a PRS se 245 Standard singlecut (2017) and an PRS se Korina singlecut (2010), both modded with '50s wiring and P90 pickups.
    I am jonesing another tele but will have to sell (or trade) a guitar to finance it. Sigh...
    PRS makes some really nice guitars and the excellent SE series fits my budget nicely.

Mark

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

here be mine
    [​IMG]

I have an SE 22 also, both are awesome but this one needs some work as it's fretting out some

11. fivewattworld

Thanks! The histories are real bears to make. I figured it out on this one, it's about an hour of editing for each minute of video on screen, and that doesn't count the research and writing phase. Still, such is the price for profound curiosity and I know a LOT more about each topic after the research so I'll keep doing them.

Mosstone, nojazzhere and EsquireBoy like this.
  12. fivewattworld

Yeah, I read that. The difficulty of these is the (self-imposed) time limit. So I have to edit much. But the beauty of the medium is then people put it in the comments. So it's all good.
    Thanks

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Not a fan of them, in general, with one exception: the David Grissom model in goldtop.

brookdalebill and fivewattworld like this.
  14. fivewattworld

And Merry Christmas to you Don! Thanks

15. fivewattworld

That was my everyday guitar for years actually. I owned four DGT style guitars at one point. I've since reined things in a bit, but that's what the channel is about, telling myself I don't "need" as much stuff as I think I do (on any given day.)

I'm currently spending much of my time with a Strandberg Salen T-type. Well the T-type is likely a debatable point here, but that's the fun of forums right?

E5RSY likes this.
  16. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I had a emerald green 90s cu24 that i loved everything about. Except the sound. Thing was just very dull and ive found this to be a trait that many prs have. Even changing the pups didnt fix it.

Had one of the best necks ive ever had though. A respectable amount of heft and asymmetrical. Something id really like to have on a fender or gibson

With that said. The DGT solves this. They sound great, definitely the best thing PRS has ever done. Would love to own one

fivewattworld likes this.
  17. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a 594 Soapbar, a Silver Sky, and a Singlecut 10-Top. Count me as a fan of PRS.

18. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Custom 22 Ten Top and SE Custom 24 with Duncan pickups.

A16DDBF6-344C-483E-8074-85F39B110792.jpeg 64326462-981D-4A0C-8053-3AD45BC26555.jpeg

fivewattworld and Mincer like this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

They are guitars, what is not to like?

RoyBGood, Treynor, Dan German and 3 others like this.
  20. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I am not really a fan of PRS. This is just my opinion. YMMV. They are high quality, but I never liked the look or the feel. It's the same with Epiphone, Ibanez, Jackson, ESP. Not my cup of tea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.