The Proclaimers: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by cometazzi, Aug 28, 2021.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

No, but I do appreciate the Scottish desire for independence.
    It's a lovely country and the people are, for the most part, excellent.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

chunder in the old pacific sea,,,

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You don't appreciate that not all Scots desire independence. This one doesn't.

Cloodie and tattypicker like this.
  4. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

You're making assumptions. Let's leave it there.

7171551 likes this.
  5. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

So, before the mods realise that the "U"K has politics too... Here's my contribution:

Back about the time this song was first out, I was house-hunting in Spain in the Costa Blanca area. We had rented an apartment in Benidorm as a base. (If you don't know, Benidorm is an extremely popular mass-market holiday destination- especially for Brits and Germans. "Sun, Sea, Sangria and S*x") My local was a well-known venue called The Western Bar, which was "lively".

...Anyway, the point of my story was I was in there one night and still vividly remember 500 miles coming on the juke box.

You need to picture the scene. The place was mobbed, 3 deep at the bar and the staff were working flat out. There were several Hen Parties in, one where they were all dressed in pink tutus as ballerinas (extremely LARGE ballerinas) another seemed to be Calamity Jane themed although none of their check shirts seemed to fit very well... There was also a large Stag party. About a dozen guys dressed in full superhero costumes, capes, masks, cod-pieces etc etc. They were spilling out into the street and jumping into the path of cars- commanding them to stop in the name of the law! The remainder of the crowd seemed to mainly consist of sunburned tourists of various nationalities, but many Scots and Irish. I did see one local guy- You could tell he was local because whilst the tourists thought the weather was great and wore sometimes not very much at all, the locals were starting to feel the chill at night and this guy had a turtleneck sweater and a Parka on...

...The song started. By halfway into the first verse the crowd and the staff somehow lock-stepped into the rhythm. Everybody sang, everyone was infected: hands punched the air, ballerinas walked on the spot, cowgirls shot pistols two-handed. Bar staff poured drinks to the beat. Superheroes did unmentionable things in time and one Parka-clad hooded figure gradually nodded his furry head and trudged in place... The song cast a magic spell over everyone. For a few brief minutes no one had a care in the world. When it ended there was a moments silence as everyone tried to process what had just happened, then the crowd just erupted!

THAT's what I remember every time I hear the song.You had to have been there!:D

tattypicker likes this.
  6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

That's a fair cop.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.