The Prince of Wails: KLD Kit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Randy Jones, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

Hello shock brothers,

First time working on an amp, so brace for newb questions. I ordered the Princeton amp kit from KLD (trem, no reverb). Some things of interest: it's diode rectified, two 12AX7s and two 6L6's, it has a "boost switch" which cuts out the tone controls and is supposed to provide a tweedish sound. Yah, we'll see. After ordering it appears this is highly similar to the Ceriatone princeton kit. So, looks like a copy of a copy. Not sure

Kit arrived and i'm now trying to layout the chassis. Chassis is aluminum 11x7x2 which seemed plenty big, but now seems tight! I think it will still work. Here's the view looking into the chassis. Output transformer is surface mounted. Power transformer has one bell in the box with a the wad of wires coming out one side. Before i start drilling holes, how does this arrangement seem to you experienced folks? Basically, i'm trying to keep the guitar signal far from the powery bits.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.09.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.10.43 AM.png

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Did the chassis come with it? I figured KLD recommends their USA partner for chassis. They are pre-drilled, and I believe the layouts are all pretty similar. I'm not knowledgeable to say for certain. But I would go by their layout design as close as possible, unless someone here recommends otherwise. KLDs are 'clones' but not really super close to spec to famous amps. They are made very modular - probably to save costs across the line. I would consider using ceriatone's layouts as reference only.

Randy Jones likes this.
  3. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

No, i ordered the blank canvas aluminum chassis separate. Went this route because... i'm a glutton for punishment? Also, the suggested chassis overlapped with their other amp designs as you note, meaning there is a hole for a rectifier tube etc that i wouldn't need.

4. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

Any glaring issues with my layout plan? Mostly i want to avoid noise. My understanding is the main source of noise is having the guitar signal/preamp section too close to the power section.

Does it help to add wires to the pic above... digital soldering is much easier to undo :)

5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

Position of the transformers can cause noise. Hopefully someone more experienced than I can chime in if they see a problem.

One thing that looks out of place is the location of the bias pot.

6. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

Thanks for looking! The bias pot came on the pre-soldered P2P board. It’s oriented vertically in reality.

7. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

C3F411B4-3AA6-442B-A188-F65119D5897B.jpeg One small step for a man. One even smaller step in an amp build.

8. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

The tranny placement looks okay. 6L6 output tubes want some space between them to help with heat dissipation. (Like ‘1 x tube diameter’)

Randy Jones likes this.
  9. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

Thx for the feeback! Switched to a 17x7 chassis for more flexibility and ease of maneuvering for newbie.

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 6.23.29 AM.png

10. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to have the PT near the main board and the OT further away?

Randy Jones likes this.
  11. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

I do not know. I put them there for 3 reasons:
    1) The wires coming out of the PT are shorter and connect to the right half of the board, so i put it closer.
    2) the PT is super heavy. Having nearer the middle will hopefully stabilize the weight
    3) Visually i kinda liked the alignment.

There, now you know you're dealing with a total luddite. Thankfully i haven't cut the top of the chassis yet, so now is the time informed decision making. That's where y'all come in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.