1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The prices on 80s Peavey guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drmordo, May 13, 2020.

1. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

I love my old Peaveys and have four of them. Specifically, a T60, Patriot guitar, Patriot bass, and Ecoustic. They're all interesting and unique, play well, and are well-built. I think for what it is, my T60 is easily worth the $450 I paid for it a few years ago. I personally like the unique look too.

Since you mention the T60 specifically, I have one of the painted poplar versions and it comes in at 8lbs, so it's fine for me and about what my Strat Plus weighs. the painted ones have contours too are are reasonably comfortable. I get along with a range of necks, so the skinny neck works fine for me but I can see that being a showstopper for some people. I find the blade humbuckers plenty articulate and prefer this guitar to my Les Paul Classic. I simply use the tone pots to get more or less "mud" like any guitar. These are among the most useful coil splits I've ever used. The split at 7 on the tone knob for each pickup works well enough, but more importantly, they have a useful single coil sound instead of sounding weak like a lot of coil splits I've tried.

Here's how it can sound. At 4:40 I dial back the humbuckers into single-coils.

My Patriot is barely over 6lbs, super comfy with a Fender-like Gibson-scale neck. I found it used for $95 on CL, put new tuners on it, painted it, and it it plays great. I've taken it overseas by removing the neck and putting it in my checked luggage. The Super Ferrite pickups on it are very P90ish. One of the guitars in this one is a Revstar with P90s. The other is the Patriot.

Here's are the Peavey siblings.

[​IMG]

I used to have a Falcon too which also played wonderfully, resonated really well with a beautifully flamed maple neck, but I decided to sell it as it had a Kahler Spyder locking bridge and nut which simply annoyed me.

To the original question about what people are paying for these things, they're simply well-made instruments with a unique flavor that some people simply enjoy.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. badkins

badkins Tele-Meister

My first electric was a Peavey T-60 :)

George Benson played one, but I was never impressed with the guitar. The pickups were nothing special. I think it had a metal nut, so that combined with the heaviness did seem to give it reasonable sustain.

It wasn't until about 30 years later that I discovered that a Tele is the perfect guitar for me!

drmordo likes this.
  3. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

When the T-60 came out, you have to remember that Fender wasn't making very good instruments. Recall the crummy 3-bolt Strats (and the ash versions of those were HEAVY, too!) and they cost a lot of money, new. Hard to believe when you see the prices on 70s Fenders now, but they didn't hold their value well. In the early 80's I bought a '77 Telecaster. It was pretty, and the neck felt nice. It wasn't a great-sounding guitar. I paid $200 used in 1981, and I got $100 and a '67 SG in trade when I sold it a year later (boy, keeping that SG would have paid off!)

The Peaveys got better after the T-60. I didn't care for the T-60 -- the weight, and the neck mostly. But the electronics were pretty cool. They had an innovative tone control that would roll off into a single coil at about "9" and was humbucker below that. Around 1986, I bought a T-27, which was a huge improvement. I really enjoyed it, and boy, was it cheap. It had a bridge humbucker with the single-coil roll-off, and single-coil middle and neck pickups. They sounded very good. The neck was better, though the fingerboard was a little flat. It was my only electric for three years, and I didn't buy another electric guitar for three years after I sold it.

4. guitararmy

guitararmy TDPRI Member

I missed out on the T60 Peavey era, but bought quite a few Peavey guitars in the 90's.
    Only one I regret trading off was a Generation S-2 model. Great neck, nice active pickups.

5. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i like the Peavey guitars look, very distinctive

Yes Johnny Copeland!

in my mind i always hear that ceramic squawk in these clips with SRV .

i get smiley watching Stevie's face at Johnny's one note with the arm move thing in the little sister, then Stevie had to try some too

Jay Jernigan, drmordo and radiocaster like this.
  6. olp77

olp77 NEW MEMBER!

7. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Mint T60 on local CL is asking $1000. Been there at least a month. $500 or thereabouts for a T30

8. olp77

olp77 NEW MEMBER!

Played one on the road for 12 years. Great guitar. Had coil switching, phasing, good sounding guitar. Well made and a real bargain back in the day. Paid $300 something new in 1983, sold it a while back for $700 to a collector of T-60s who thought he stole it.

Attached Files:

drmordo likes this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a friend who had a T60 and he let me play it. I thought it was a really good guitar.

Kind of reminded me of a Rickenbacker, not the sound but the body is substantial, even if probably not quite the size of a 330.

10. JazzFusionGuy

JazzFusionGuy TDPRI Member

I used to own a T-60 and I loved the sound and the neck. It had some unique electronics on board too. It was heavy as lead but I used to do jam rock for hours with it. I even released a CD of those jams and that guitar sounds great all these years later. I sold it years ago for about what I paid for it. Overall a good US made instrument.

11. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

I bought a Peavey T-15 and absolutely love it. Great sounding guitar!!!

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Bought a new one in 1978. Kept it for a year. The weight and the skinny neck became tiresome. I loved the way it looked, liked the sound okay, fascinated by the controls but went back to a Strat. Still have the Strat.
    Re post 85: I will always be impressed by SRV'S interest in anybody else's playing. I'm sure that he scared everyone else out of their minds, but, I'm equally certain that it was not his intention. He wanted to jam and he wanted you to, also. Those grins were as real as anything I have ever seen.

drmordo likes this.
  13. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Man have I got a story for you all. Let's say 2-3 years ago a good buddy of mine gets
    way into these old Peaveys and buys several -- of each type. Like ~2 patriots, I think
    two Horizon IIs and a Horizon 1, a couple T-series, all for like $2-300. He keeps bugging
    me to get one -- finally there's one for $50 on craigslist a few block away from my house.
    It's a black Patriot with two Ferrite pickups. GREAT instrument -- super comfortable, sounds great, everything. Immediately it becomes my go-to practice guitar (I really
    like the jack on the front to sit down and plug in for practice). Mine was black poly and
    I kept thinking that it'd be great stripped and finished. So, buddy sells me an extra
    Patriot body (?) that he somehow ended up with -- for $50. My bother refinishes
    it and for an outlay of $50 + $50 + $38 (two T-series knobs) I'm in hog heaven.

JR Patriot 1.jpg JR Patriot 3.JPG

..But I've still got the black body. I'm a tinkerer and I hate waste. A patriot neck
    is like $150 shipped on Ebay. So, I put up a Craigslist ad like "hey you all, I know
    one of you has a patriot/neck/parts laying around.." This guy calls me up and offers
    to GIVE me his two Patriots -- Free if I'd drive to get them. He basically had them
    around and was happy to see them get used/loved. I drove ~3 hours round trip last
    night to Rockford, but now the Brown Patriot has two siblings..!

2020.05.21 - Three Patriots.jpg

How's that for the feelgood-gear-hoarding story of the year..?!

14. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

This.
    I owned a T-60 for a bit, and it was hands-down the finest electric guitar I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It wasn't necessarily my preferred sound, but it does it's thing well. People probably aren't aware of all the proprietary stuff on these guitars, from the bridge to the tuners to the metal volume/tone knobs. It's all Peavey, not from a random factory somewhere. Rock-solid as well. Heavy as well too, those rumors are true.

But tell me what other vintage, USA-made, player-grade guitars can be had for $500-$600? Seems like a fair price to me. I actually only paid $400 for my T-60 about a year ago, so maybe they're appreciating?

Heck, I just bought a mint-condition 1987 Peavey Falcon for $275. That's $275 for a vintage, high-quality, USA-made, looks-brand-new guitar.

I'm not saying they're the finest instruments ever made, but they're certainly right up there with Fender/Gibson/etc.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  15. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

Used to have a Horizon II, eventually sold it when my American Standard Strat continually put it to shame. I really don't miss it.

For those that are interested in the tone control, here is the schematic.

Attached Files:

JayFreddy likes this.
  16. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great story, but you still need a neck! :p

drmordo likes this.
  17. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I actually re-read it before posting and thought about the postscript being that there's still that extra patriot body..!

18. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

The Raptor was never made in the USA. It was a Korean Strat copy.

Thr Reactor and Predator were assembled in the USA, but from entirely foreign parts.

The Predator Plus was Korean. Also a Strat copy, 1st Korean and later Chinese or possibly Indonesian

The Tracer was always made in the USA. The production line that made the Tracers also made the Generations I mentioned earlier, which eventually morphed into the production line that made the Wolfgang for EVH.

It was a time... It was a place.

drmordo likes this.
  19. mctofuburger

mctofuburger TDPRI Member

There's still deals out there on the old Made in USA Peavey stuff. I picked up this 84 Milestone for $200 and turned it into a fun project. Seeing as how this thing has no resale value and is a fabulous player, I thought I'd turn it into something more useful for me.

Not really a fan of the p12 pickups or the wiring scheme (I know it's cool, just not for me). So I got a great deal on some Gibson 57 zebra pickups and wired it up like a 50's Les Paul. I decided to really unleash the 80's on it and added cream speed knobs and painted the pickup rings cream.

IMG_20200425_160547722.jpg

20. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Those T- somethings are still 2-300 on Knoxville's Craigslist. Still see them in the pawn shops in the same price range too.

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.