The prices on 80s Peavey guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drmordo, May 13, 2020.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard that the later guitars such as Predators and Raptors are well built, made in USA guitars that are a good deal. For me personally the Made in USA aspect is not something I'm willing to pay a premium for. But if it is substantively a better playing and sounding guitar for the money, then I'm interested. Haven't come across them on the rack at a used gear music store, but if I ever do I'd certainly give one a spin to see if they're really all that.

preactor likes this.
  2. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

The Peavey Patriot is an awesome guitar. I think the pickups are fantastic.

JayFreddy and bftfender like this.
  3. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

And can be found for about $300

bftfender likes this.
  4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1 strat yoko 2.jpg
    Originally a sunburst, this T-15 has been with me for the better part of 25 years.

JayFreddy and bftfender like this.
  5. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

1988 Peavey Falcon on the left. It was my main axe for most of the 90s.

PV.jpg

JayFreddy, Ex-riverman and Censport like this.
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow I gave a T60 away a while ago

drmordo likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

def. they really sound unique & do the start thing well backed off a bit & then dimed ..just a great lead sound..almost as if you goosed a strat with the perfect pedal but its all in the 9-10 n the pickup.

8. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I have a USA-made Patriot I scored on Craigslist a few years ago. It's still stock.

Except for the three neck shims and Warmoth neck I attached.

And the new pickguard.

And the Gotoh locking tuners.

And the Callaham bridge.

And the Fender Noiseless pickups.

...but, yeah, almost totally stock.

If you are thinking about using one of these as mod platform, be ready to put some love into it.

Gabeezlebub, drmordo and kodiakblair like this.
  9. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits TDPRI Member

I got a T-60 with the OHSC in a trade on craigslist a few years ago. I had an old tower computer that would stop working while it was running, but you could kick or punch it and it would kick back in and work for a few more minutes...then you'd have to kick/punch it again. Not kidding in the least. Guy traded me straight up for the computer, knowing it was a broken computer and I got the Peavey. I ended up getting rid of it in a trade, but I really wish I had hung on to it. Solid guitars and very well built. I can't remember anything about the tone, but I guess I thought there were greener pastures elsewhere.

drmordo likes this.
  10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

It hasn't been that long ago that these were half the current price. I wonder what's driving the price up?

11. miotch

miotch TDPRI Member

T-60 was my first real electric (not gonna count the Kay). Great guitar and wish I hadn’t sold it. But it wasn’t cool enough for me. Stupid.
    Anyway, I decided about a year ago I’d look for a white one and fill the 35-year void since I sold it. Well I was also shocked at what people were asking. It is honestly worth $600, but I was expecting $250 or $300 because that’s what they went for in 1985. I won’t own one anytime soon. Just can’t justify the coin for something I don’t need.

drmordo likes this.
  12. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

My black Tracer -- with the stepped droopy neck, which I got in Pittsburgh when we signed on with the Episcopal Church as missionaries -- got stolen in Honduras when the bishop there promised to keep an eye on it. My first and last locking-trem super strat. Korean-made, I think, by that time. The Peavey mixer and speakers I've owned or used are basic and they work, usually. But those old ash T-models look a little like shop projects with cast hardware. Maybe they're the Danelectros of their time.

13. oafyuf

oafyuf TDPRI Member

Just in case your T-60 doesn't weigh enough... ECG make a neck that fits perfectly.

Attached Files:

14. Lizzard

Lizzard TDPRI Member

Johnny Copeland - for a good while

15. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer TDPRI Member

With regard to all things Peavey.... I can not recommend enough that you read;

The Peavey Revolution: Hartley Peavey: The Gear, The Company and the All-American Success Story

It was written pre 2005 when everything went sideways for the US Musical Instrument market.

You can get it on Kindle at a whopping price of $37.... but if you are truly interested in guitars, amps and the music business as a whole it is the only book of its nature. The story is told by the man who stood shoulder to shoulder with many of the worlds great musical instrument innovators.

JayFreddy and drmordo like this.
  16. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

As for heft, the natural-finished ones were made of Northern Ash. They were heavy. There were 2 factors there, one, "heavy" is subjective, and a lot of people probably were subconsciously comparing to that more famous double-cut boltneck, the Strat, which has a considerably smaller body, thus creating an unrealistic expectation. The other factor was the choice of Northern ash rather than swamp ash. Northern is more dense and thus "heavier."

If weight is a consideration, however, check out the solid color T-60s. Many, possibly most, were instead made of poplar. They are considerably lighter than the natural-finished Northern Ash guitars. I have a black T-60 and it is not heavy, iirc 8.5 pounds.

As far as not sounding very good, I think most people simply didn't bother to figure out the tone circuit. They saw humbuckers on the guitar, and expected them to sound like humbuckers; but of course with the guitar's tone controls on 9 or 10, they were not humbuckers at all.

[​IMG]

drmordo likes this.
  17. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I’ve played a few and thought they weren’t bad. The real thing driving the cost is the high value guitarist place on vintage, and ISA made instruments. I think there is a lot of players out there that think just because something like this checks those boxes it’s better than a modern inexpensive Asian made guitar. Maybe, probably not, definitely not a better value at that price.

People have been priced out of vintage strats and relies because the prices are insane now. I remember when I started playing there was plenty of cheap vintage guitars, basically anything that wasn’t a tele, strat or les Paul could typically be had for cheaper than a new model. I always wanted a tele deluxe back then and they were pretty inexpensive, but these days they go for over two grand.

18. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Yep, also Carl Perkins.

[​IMG]

preactor, JayFreddy and Blazer like this.
  19. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Those Super-Ferrite pickups are killer, though. I put some in a "rat rod" inspired build and they sound great!

preactor and drmordo like this.
  20. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Afflicted

It’s funny because even like 10 years ago you were able to get them for 3-450 all day

I had one that was great! Heavy and the neck was a bit too skinny but it was great! Sold it to a kid on Craigslist and he was robbed and killed for it about a week later

very freaking crazy

Brian Krashpad and drmordo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.