1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The prices on 80s Peavey guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drmordo, May 13, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

There was a guy here on the CL (back in Feb) selling 8 or 10 Peaveys in different colors for $425 ea. I thought that high then, but apparently was mistaken.

drmordo likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my first two guitars (acoustic and electric) and first amp from a guy who was one of 6 brothers—four of whom played guitar...all of them were rabid T-60 enthusiasts for some reason...between the four of them, they had 20 or 30 of them!

I played their T-60s on occasion, but never bonded with them—the weight wasn’t a problem (although I didn’t weigh much more at the time), but I just didn’t like the tone. I liked the fact that they had very stable tuning...funny enough, none of them own a single Peavey guitar nowadays—it’s almost like they went through a phase and then moved on (mostly to Leo-era Music Mans, G&Ls and 57AVRI Strats).

I think they’re semi-cool in a nostalgic, niche-y kinda way...but I ain’t running out to get one either.

It’s cool for other people to own them, :p...

drmordo likes this.
  3. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

The going price of these guitars surprises me too. In general, most Peavey products are not my cup of tea, but one thing is clear. The business model that Hartley Peavey set up made it possible for a LOT of people to have access to reliable, reasonably priced musical gear of all kinds that otherwise might not have been possible.

Side note: One of the nicest playing guitars I have ever picked up was a bandmate's 1988, Pepto-Bismol pink Peavey Vandenberg.

4. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Less than half of mine, tried getting them all together but I'd need a hall :lol:
    Peavey Family (5).JPG

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Over the years I've seen PLENTY of Peavey T-60's in good shape in pawnshops around this area.

Many I could have snagged for $250 or lower w/ OHSC.

I'll pass thank you.

drmordo likes this.
  6. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Back in the mid-80s, when I was working at Hewgley's Music Shop in downtown Nashville, Peavey came out with the Razer. Being a dealer, we had one or two in stock. The looks were totally 80s, the pickups were a bit too hot for my taste, and the neck was excellent. But Jim Broadus made so much fun of them that I was too embarrassed to buy one.

Apparently, lots of other young guys were shamed out of buying them too, because they're near impossible to find now. I'd prefer a blue or a gold one, but will seriously consider any if y'all see one for sale. Either tremelo or hardtail is fine by me. I know Dan Auerbach has one with a Bigsby. I've met him a couple times, but we've always talked motorcycles. Next time, I'll have to change the subject.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll go ahead and post this in "guitars wanted", just in case.

Blazer and drmordo like this.
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen some T60s sell in the $500-600 range but they can often be found for a lot less. I actually bought a T60 new around the time that they came out I think it was around $325. It was heavy, but had some great sounds, versatile passive wiring system.
    Later I got another one, painted it black, put in some Duncan humbuckers, but honestly the stock pickups were great. I've played some of the T60s recently and didn't like the thin necks or the weight.

I would like to find one of the Peavey Falcon Strat knock offs, I never see them anymore, or the USA made Generation Tele copies.

drmordo likes this.
  8. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

also 1980 was forty years ago.

drmordo and kodiakblair like this.
  9. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I still have my T40 bass. It sounds good but isn't easy to play and from playing it 5 nights a week for 4 years, the weight of the thing screwed up my shoulder .... I still play it once in a while.

drmordo likes this.
  10. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

That is one Peavey guitar I would be very tempted to pick up if I ever saw one. I love futuristic guitars.

Censport likes this.
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Mine is a 1979, and as everyone has mentioned, they are heavy and have a very small neck. The attraction for me was the unique "single coil to humbucker" tone control.
    And for the asking price you should get the hard case. Those are impossible to find these days.

drmordo likes this.
  12. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

The T series instruments were quirky oddballs. While they had some cool technical features, the weight and the distinctive designs tend to make them love-it-or-hate-it axes. For everybody growing up in the 80s, they were a big part of the landscape, so it’s not surprising that they are having something of a renaissance now. Due to nostalgia I think they are actually more popular now than ever—certainly, more popular than they were when they were new. Peavey made some good gear but let’s be honest: everybody ended up with Peavey because they couldn’t afford or didn’t have access to the Fenders, Gibsons, Marshalls etc. that they really wanted. The T-60 was sold as a pro level guitar (whatever that meant) for about half the price of a Strat, and I think a lot were sold on that basis to people who were not affirmatively excited about the T-60 on its own merits, but figured it was the best they could get on a budget.

And I don’t say this as a hater: I owned a T-60 for a while in the 90s, bought on purpose after its heyday, but just didn’t bond with it. My first real bass was a T-40, and in the late 2000s I bought another one. The T-40 is more popular as a bass than the T-60 as a guitar, but it was so big and heavy I never got comfortable with it, after playing a Precision for a long time. But among the internet bass community, the T-40 is known for being very versatile. (I sold my T-40 to the bassist in my band at the time, a slim woman who was dwarfed by it, and I liked to post pictures of her playing it in threads where people were bitching about how heavy T-40s are.) (They really are, though.)

I think Peavey’s next round of instruments, although maybe not as sought after now, were more successful as instruments. The Foundation, Peavey’s next bass after the T series, was and is a fantastic bass. And, I have a Razer, and notwithstanding its odd shape, it’s a great player, with the tone control coil taps but without the boat anchor mass, and a great neck, as @Censport says. Mine has a trem and it’s one of the smoothest I’ve played.

kodiakblair, drmordo and Censport like this.
  13. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm partial to the S1, S2, and S3 Generation Series, aka "Jennies". There was also a Generation Standard that was basically a Tele copy.

Not to be confused with the later Asian Tele knock offs that also carried the "Generation" badge.

If these said "Fender" on the headstock, they'd be selling for over a grand. You can still find them under $500, but the pristine examples are typically over $700.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  15. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Solid colours are lighter.

About 1980/81 the painted bodies were made from poplar. Ditch the bridge,knob and pickup shells,the weight drops to 8lbs :)

Pots alone are 1/4 lb :eek:

16. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

You, um, have a pic of said Razer?

Please?

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

My bassist has a 70s Peavey 40 bass and it’s a terrific Playing and sounding bass. It’s built to withstand a nuclear blast it seems and it weighs about as much as a tank.

18. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Brian Henneman of the Bottle Rockets used to be known for playing T-60's. This one has a cool decal job.

19. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I picked up one for $200 at a Goodwill, thought it was solid and fun.

preactor likes this.
  20. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

+1 on the patriot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.