1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The prices on 80s Peavey guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drmordo, May 13, 2020.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Holy moly! My cousin had a T-60 back in the 80s, and it was a very underwhelming guitar. It was heavy, blocky, didn't sound very good, and was just awkward to play. We both agreed my Ibanez Roadstar was a much, much better guitar. I still have the Roadstar, but his Peavey is long gone.

But I just stumbled onto them on Reverb, and I am amazed what people are asking for them. Examples in original condition are starting at $600!!!

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=peavey t-60

How many of y'all are old enough to have played one of these back in the 80s?

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I remember seeing them. I never tried one, they did not appeal to me.

When I'd see them being played by professionals I guessed it was some kind of endorsement deal obligation.

Bassman8 and drmordo like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not old enough but one thing I know is that 90% of them are ridiculously heavy

My dad says he always liked them but I thought they were kind of goofy

Other than that it’s a U.S made guitar, I’ve seen the back up band on hee haw playing the guitar and bass

OlRedNeckHippy and drmordo like this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

this thing is killer !!! Chews my strats up
    Patriot a.jpg

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

$600 for an American made instrument. Not a bad price. Peavey was always more of a working man's company. Akin to Traynor in Canada. People would play them while dreaming of something else. Still, they were very good & priced reasonably.

T-60s do have their fans. :cool:

6. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

A lot of those "my first decent guitars" from the 80s seem pretty overpriced to me now. I guess nostalgia adds a premium.

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

My podnah has a T-60. It was his first electric. He bought it from our mailman.
    It weighs a lot. A whole lot. Skinny shallow neck. Lots of tonal options.
    I don’t need one.

drmordo likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

If they are willing to pay you $600 to take it, I would say that is about correct...

rangercaster, Wobbles and drmordo like this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My Nephew was selling his 15 years ago for cheap, I passed and still don't miss it.

drmordo likes this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

The rhythm guitar player in my first band had a T-60. I played it a few times and it wasn’t for me. Heavy, heavy guitar. I used to own an Ibanez Roadstar II and would agree the Ibanez was a much better guitar.

drmordo likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They are very common around here.
    The late Ray Hennig’s Heart Of Texas Music sold tons of them in the 70s and 80s.
    They are usually heavy, with strangely thin necks.
    They are very well made, and sound OK.
    I still see them in music stores, pawn shops and CL.
    The going rate seems to be $500, but I bet $350-400 will probably score you one.
    I once had a great, clean T40 bass, in sunburst with rosewood board.
    They were the first commercially available guitars made with CNC machines.
    Good tools.

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

A T-60 was my first electric guitar. I purchased it from a local guitarist named Johnny Red at his job at C&S music on the installment plan. I payed $300.00 and it took me a year before I owned it outright. A little perspective is in order I think. In 1980 a Strat was $600 and up and a Les Paul was north of $800. Most of my friends had Hondo's or Aria's or other cheap Asian guitars and the Peavey was a big step up. Nowadays $300 buys a helleva lot more guitar than it used to.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Back in the early 90's I bought a used T-60 from an old early 60's band mates' music store. Bought it for $90. Hadn't owned a electric in about 20 years and wanted for recording a couple songs that could use one.

Was my only electric for the next ten years or so. Sold it about ten years ago for $285. Not a bad profit after having played it for all those years.

By far the heaviest guitar I have ever played or owned. Made LP's seem like light weights.

Also had a really thin profiled neck that gave me cramps in my hand and wrist. Not a fan of thin profile necks for that reason.

drmordo likes this.
  14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Very, very true! It's hard to explain how crappy cheap guitars were before the 90s when cheap but well made imported guitars hit the market.

Since I started this thread, I texted my cousin and he sold the Peavey 20 years ago. But then he bought another maybe 5 years back! One very interesting thing he pointed out is the pickups transition from humbuckers to single coil as you turn the volume down. I didn't believe him until I googled it. Apparently the T-40 bass does the same trick. Pretty interesting, although it seems like a coil tap switch would work at least as well...

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a T40 bass from 1980. The body is a hunk of ash that looks like furniture from the old Crate and Barrel.

It is a boat anchor of a bass, but it sounds great and records even better.

16. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I had a gold Peavey sometime around 1987-1988. First electric guitar. Dad bought it with me (he always made me save up to buy things). Traded it around 1993 for a Korean Squier because I wanted a guitar to play some SRV. Still have that guitar.

drmordo likes this.
  17. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a T60 that I thought was great at the time, lots of tonal choices. They were really hot in Nashville back then as was the T40 bass. It was heavier than hell, I still have it sort of, I took a band saw to it and made it more in the shape of a strat. After I had mine we bought one as gift for another guitar player in the band I think it was under $500 new.
    For some reason they have appeal to collectors and early examples in really nice shape can fetch $600 but you need the original case as well.

drmordo likes this.
  18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

A T-60 would have been a hell of an improvement over my first electric. A Harmony with small amp from the Monkey Ward catalog. Beginners nowadays have it made in terms of quality & selection. :cool:

howardlo and drmordo like this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I could definitely live with these cutaways more than the standard t-60 variety

What is that model called?

drmordo likes this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Original knobs go for $25+ each last time I looked.

I believe Peavey used gun stock copy Carver's to make a dozen necks at a time repeatably, which are not really CNC. But it was a higher quality in manufacturing repeatability sense, than other factories then.

Heavy guitars were popular in the 70s/80s as that meant more sustain ... at least that is what the magazine experts were pushing back then.

Skinny necks keeps me out of trying one.

JayFreddy and drmordo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.