The "post-gig" depression: anyone else suffered it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marcelo R, Nov 26, 2018.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

It happens to me all the time, but my "gigs" are art shows. After working on a painting corpus for a year or more, it's hard to give everything you have in a 2 or 3 hour opening and then you go back home. I usually spend the following month not knowing where to go, do I still want to paint ? But the urge eventually always come back. I used to stress about it, but now that I know it's a process, I let it happen.

Here's what I do: jeangaudet.ca

Marcelo R likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One absolute truth BB is that when things go south with the band, or just someone in the band starts stepping in it, YOU will be the one who ends up sounding bad. I don't know why that is, but it's just one of the absolute undeniable truths of the universe. Put it out of your mind. One time I was doing some previously requested songs for a relatives anniversary, when some other musicians showed up to play with our group. The woman asked me where we wanted them, I said I want you all to set down at the table over there, when we're through, you can have at it. I shocked the lady so badly she just did what I told her. This was a one time event that was never going to happen again, I didn't want someone who didn't know the material to screw it up. I did not feel bad about it! :lol::lol:

SparkleFart, Jupiter, DrBGood and 2 others like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I get a little down when few show up to a gig. It's a turkey shoot. I feel bad taking the bars money. For instance friday (black friday) we had a gig booked many months ago. I figured there would be no one there. Not only Black Friday , day after Turkey Day, but the local college football rivalry game started at 6 pm. Ughh I thought.
    Turns out the place was packed, so much so we had to use the green room for a change as they needed every table! Many stayed to the end wailing and cheering. Go figure. Other times we've played there it's been real slow sometimes.

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I have that happen with sessions. I can run at full speed through a twelve hour session and the moment the pressure is off I can barely hold my head up from the cessation of the rush that got me through the session. I feel "guitared out." I'm usually back to normal the next day.

Bob

Marcelo R and DrASATele like this.
  5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Back when I gigged regularly, I had this happen a few times. I can remember playing a gig in another state Portland in Maine, the drive back was very tough mentally. For me it was a typical gig playing bass a couple of oops moments but nothing overly jarring. I felt pretty good saying goodbye to the rest of the band but 10 or so minutes into the 4 hours ride home I was mush. As someone who has dealt with long bouts of depression, this after gig thing was definitely more of what the OP said 'sad'. I think it has something to do with the mental changes that come with being pumped up for the gig and then putting everything you have into the performance that when your done mentally you're just on empty, the get up and go, already gone, and the mind has to deal with the lack of stimulants. Just my take on it.

Wildcard_35 and Marcelo R like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Perhaps it’s odd, but I NEVER feel bad for taking the venue’s money.
    Most venues pay very little, around here anyway.
    I feel the opposite.
    There are many venues in the Austin area that I actually despise for their cheap, Mickey Mouse way of doing business.
    Some of those venues are legendary, and “iconic”.
    I ain’t namin’ names.
    They have been Mickey Mouse outfits for many decades.

Wildcard_35 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yup.....I know that feeling after a gig.....I think there's a high probability of feeling that way after any event that requires you to participate so intensely, emotionally, physically and mentally....in front of a room full of people watching you.....seems like a recipe for some strong emotions both wanted and unwanted...

brookdalebill and Marcelo R like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I hear you. For the bigger bars that make a lot of money that's cool. But many up here are struggling to even keep the doors open. So many people think: " I want to buy a bar and have music, that would be fun!" Haha, welcome to the real world dreamer....

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Do you remember the old joke?.....A wealthy Arab oil sheik calls his three sons in, telling them it's been a fabulous year gouging the Americans on oil, and he wants to buy them something they long for. The twenty-one year old son says, "Father, I would like my own jet airplane." The sheik turns to his assistant and says, "Buy the Boeing Aircraft Co.".....the middle son says, "Father, I would like a luxury car." The sheik turns to his assistant and says, "Buy the Rolls Royce Motorcar Co.".....the eight year old son says, "Father, all I really want is a little Mickey Mouse outfit." The man turns to his assistant and says, "Buy Montgomery Wards!"......if you can't guess, I once worked for Montgomery Wards, and that joke was popular at Wards at one time......;)

Wildcard_35 and brookdalebill like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I play out a lot so thankfully no.

I guess I tend to stay in the moment and play with good musicians so I don’t relive and review after.

Playing out seems to be a real ordeal for lots of folks and I sometimes wonder why they continue.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

I do triathlons and have had similar feelings after a race. High expectations and lofty goals that aren't met may be the reason.

Marcelo R likes this.
  12. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I have had a few of these moments. It happened more when I was in a band that sometimes booked two or three gigs in a 24 hour period during South by Southwest. Some of the gigs were great, others were exercises in futility, others still were a mixed bag of intoxication, a fun crowd, or a sometimes cantankerous crowd. I seem to recall a bit of a crash after getting home and unpacking my gear and just feeling...down, like "what the heck do I do now?"

Some of these instances occurred when I thought some magical kind of thing was likely to happen. I had heard tales of bands getting record deals, a song placed in a movie, meeting good looking ladies from out of town, etc. during the much ballyhooed and mysticized event they call South by Southwest. Usually, it was just another gig. Now I know.

Marcelo R and Paul in Colorado like this.
  13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Nope. I have pre-gig depression, especially these last couple of years, and post-gig euphoria (and hunger).

Perhaps it's time for me to hang it up and sell off everything. I keep thinking that; so like the Internet, it must be true. :D

Marcelo R and Wildcard_35 like this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I did more when I was younger, but these days I'm usually happy for any gig I get. However, the last gig I played I felt really disappointed as we got less money then I thought we'd agreed on (we didn't) and we didn't get much in the way of tips which are usually good at this venue. I hadn't felt like giving up like that in a long, long time. Ironically, my bass player who seemed upset at having to play this gig at the beginning was in a great mood at the end.

Marcelo R and brookdalebill like this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I have most definitely noticed a day after the gig low key sad mood kind of thing. It happened a lot when we first started getting gigs. Now that it's been pretty steady for a few years it isn't as bad.
    I think it had something to do with the idea that something I really was excited about was past, and maybe there wouldn't be any more.
    Keep booking gigs!

Marcelo R likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've played church services that sounded so bad that I walked away infuriated, and had to go outside to cool off before coming back in. It amazes me the level of unpreparedness people are okay with.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Too many times to count. I have given everything I have, it is just part of the cycle.

Marcelo R likes this.
  18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’ve had situations where I was disappointed after the gig.

Only once did I get truely depressed but it wasn’t a gig.

Several years ago I was approached about forming a band. I thought sure ‘cause I knew the other guitarist/vocals & other vocalist. We decided to work up tunes with the three of us while looking for bass (few & far between here) and drums (even fewer, especially capable)

Six weeks later, after rehearsing twice a week, I realized this was not going to fly. I literally put my all into this. Working on arrangements, recording the sessions, practice on my own, and pretty much forgoing my real life. They contributed little except song suggestions & keys

I left an amp at the rehearsal site so all I needed was my guitar & board. I rolled in one Wednesday evening and Emily (vocals) & Paul were already drunk. We tried one tune and realized it wasn’t working that night. I packed my stuff & amp into the car, walked back inside and unloaded on them. I was not rude but I stated my point emphatically. Emily was crying, Paul was having trouble standing, both saying they would do better. I said I have nothing left to give and left

I explained to Jackie what transpired, put my gear away, hung the Tele on the wall with the other guitars and did not play another note for 2 years. When asked why I wasn’t playing anymore I’d reply that I just didn’t feel it

I finally got out of my funk and began noodling on my acoustic. Went to couple of local jams and finally got up to play. I realized how much I missed playing in general but playing out

Sorry for the long story

Paul in Colorado and Marcelo R like this.
  19. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I'm always a bit sad after a gig. I so love playing so, hate it when the playing is over.

Marcelo R and brookdalebill like this.
  20. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I play solo.

A lot of gig's are less than inspiring. The crowd's are thin and mostly unresponsive. Part of the reason is that venues want music too late... 8 to 11.

Older music peep's do not normally stay out past 9PM, in most places I play. They have music later for late diner's and to try and keep other diner's around for an extra drink or two. It kinda work's, but people do NOT drink as much as they once did... at least out and about. (the DUI law's)

Plus, these are NOT music club's. They are restaurant's that want background music for their DINING customer's. They pay well but it's hard work.

And being up there alone is very tough.

Im not a comedy act or a magician... and, Im not 24 with large breast's or look like someone from a TV music contest (the Voice ect.) I play music and sing song's that I believe people want or need to hear. And, Im told, that I do it well.

I still love it. And, and keep going because I do relish the few moment's where peep's come up and give me a nice tip and say how much they enjoyed it. It happen's almost every gig. (You can never really tell who, or how many, are actually listening.)

So, I keep going on after 45+ year's of performing.

But, it can be depressing these daze. (For those who were there, it's certainly not 1976, anymore.)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.