The post apocalyptic music scene... How do we help the situation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Mar 22, 2020.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’m an eternal optimist. I am someone that plays out both at an open mic/jam and am a sit in player in a Reggae band and occasionally a couple of bar cover bands.
    I don’t see our local live music scene being in the pits too long after we can start being ourselves again

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe large twins and full stacks will see a comeback to cover socially distanced outdoor gigs... :cool:

Flakey likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a person who has spent the last year and a half helping to manage and book a small local venue, and a player who has worked in them for over thirty years- lemme tell ya first hand, many of them won’t be reopening. We’ll lose a lot. If this goes on long enough, we’ll lose a whole lot more than that. If this goes through the end of May, we’ll lose 40-50% of small to medium venues, and that’s a conservative estimate. If it goes through summer we’ll lose better than 80%. We’ll also lose most of the promotion and sound reinforcement and other production companies. We’re talking mass bankruptcies. Not the least of which will be filed by full time musicians.

We have a lot of full time players around here. Exponentially more than you would think possible for a city our size. We’re keeping our heads up, and trying to stay optimistic. But truthfully, we’re scared. And for good reason.

When this thing does kick back in, it’s still gonna super thin for the players. Because there will be way more bands and artists than there are venues. I anticipate a lot of people either hanging it up and getting regular jobs, or heading out for greener pastures, if any such exist.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all doom and gloom. I want this all to be ok and a year from now I want it all to seem like it was just a bad dream. But I’m also a realist. And this is ugly.

It won’t be as bad for the younger crowd that’s actually been to school and has other skills. For the guys that have done this and nothing but this for thirty plus years, who never learned anything else, and who aren’t eligible for unemployment because they’ve always been self employed independent contractors... well... this ain’t looking so good if it ends up being long term.

4. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

We need to be exploring collaborative distance playing - there are a couple peer to peer jamming sites out there - take that output and webcast it and figure out how to produce a product - lateral thought - we are already doing that with TV shows over here skyping the presenters in. - in Europe it has got past the distancing element and is now going full tilt into isolation lock down with no real end in sight.

(and you can turn the drummer down)

5. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Phoenix rising is what I see. Someone will reopen and fill the void. Either move/go with the times or become a dinosaur and become extinct

My perspective is a small island/territory in the Caribbean. But I’ll bet my last dollar we will recover with a vengeance. This goes for the entire Antillean chain

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

true, but the initial parties are going to be epic

be prepared

7. Jakedog

Disagree, respectfully. Historically speaking, the one thing people spend MORE money on when times are tough, in depressions/recessions, etc... is booze and entertainment. If these were normal circumstances, my business would be up right now. But these are not normal circumstances. I really feel like when people are finally turned loose again, they’re gonna go a little (or a lot) nuts.

The issue lies in that by that time, most of the venues could be gone. The ones that survive are going to do very, very well. But they will be few and far between.

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Watching live music over a screen is not live music. At best it’s ‘real time’ music. It’s boring as hell compared to the real deal. Nothing sounds or moves people like a live band and actual live music.
    I mean it’s tantamount to watching a dance club on your TV. You ain’t likely to start dancing (one hopes). I know for now, it’s all we got...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  9. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

The music scene killed itself, I have zero desire to go watch a band butcher classic rock at 11pm on a Tuesday at a bar with $6 PBR.

10. Jakedog

Geez. That really does sound awful. I’m glad I don’t live there.

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

Before the ZA, the Dallas Fort Worth area had countless live venues featuring every genre imaginable. Dallas had countless nightclubs, The Deep Ellum area, Upper/Lower Greenville, The 175 million dollar Pavillion Music Factory with 20+ restaurants and bars with close proximity to hotels and the Irving Convention Center. One stage offering 24 hour live music. The mid-cities area had Grapevine’s Main Street Venues, Arlington’s land mark club scene, Keller Main Street venues. Fort Worth has the booming downtown club scene, Stockyards, One West Area, nightclubs scattered throughout the area, hell, we had grocery stores with live jazz on weekends.
    I can’t bear the thought of losing it all...

12. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Well pubs and clubs have been told to close here until May at the earliest. I can see it going on until July, maybe longer. For those musicians gigging as their only income, they are in big trouble. This means no money for maybe four months ! When the pubs and clubs re-open how many will be left ? How many musicians and bands are going to be looking for gigs in the remaining venues ? Hundreds ! Many venues will book their usual acts as a safety net. Will the pay be the same ? Only recently in the last couple of years have new pubs opened after the big crash in 2008 and most of them are doing food. It's a risky business now. I'm lucky in a way as I'm a key worker, a support worker, so my one gig a month is depriving me of a bit of pocket money, but I'm also in the firing line to catch the germ. This thing will affect the planet for a long time. We are booked to go to NY in August for four days....at the moment, sadly I don't think it's going to happen.

13. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

when I left Texas to move to the Caribbean, this time, I remember Grapevine as a small bedroom community with only 2 restaurants. I had a sailboat om Lake Grapevine at Twin Coves Marina and drove through the town of Grapevine 2-6 times a week
    that was 27 years ago.

the DFW area had a good music scene back then. I'm sure it will be so again

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

Ok, most of my favorite venues are confirmed closed. Visit the local websites for your area, total devestation. The rest will follow before this is over. They will all be gone. Video streaming is only grabbing attention if its a national headliner. I watched one of my faves lastnight and it was really flat like most video streaming. There is no 'live' in live streaming. It couldn't be a more awkward and flat experience. Take these same folks live and they kill. Music will be a different game post apocalypse. I know other industries are suffering too, and I worry for them as well, but music is a fragile thing to begin with.
    This may not be all bad however. Man, if I could open a place post pandemic I would. In fact simply purchasing a landmark venue would be the way to go. They have all the assets in place and a built in clientele and history.

15. 4pickupguy

Well I started this thread a couple of weeks after the lockdowns started in Texas.
    I’m am happy to report that most of our favorite venues are made it to the other side.
    The ones we like most sold food curbside and delivered food (some 24 hours) to keep a pulse and employees fed. Sadly a few of decades old landmarks have not shown signs of returning. One was a 40 year landmark owned by a killer keyboardist and had fantastic live acts as well THE best jams hosted by greats like Jerry Don Branch, Buddy Whittington, Jim Shuler etc.. Super fun times there. I know there are some outdoor benefit shows to help the local area folks and one is for this place. I’m glad I was wrong on the total devastation I predicted.
    How did other areas weather the storm?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.