The Pointy Peavey

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This old thread needs another 9 or 10 pages.

IMG_20211212_092550843.jpg

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
However … there’s one really superficial thing that bugs the crap out of me, and it’s the pointy high school metalhead design of the logo. It’s just crap. Now, I only play for myself, no one but me ever sees it, and I’m not trying to impress anyone at all. The thing is, I spent 25 years as a graphic designer, and it just offends me at some deeply aesthetic level. Is that so wrong?

Here's what's absolutely absurd about this statement and everyone who equates the logo with '80s heavy metal. The peavey logo existed before the members of Metallica were even born.

1961.jpg

Last edited:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Lightning—and Inspiration—Strike

During his senior year of high school, Hartley designs his future company's lightning-bolt logo. "I wanted to have a very distinctive logo," said Hartley. "So I came up with the concept where the 'P' and 'V,' and the 'A' and 'Y,' would more or less intersect." Today, this logo is instantly recognizable all over the world.

1959.jpg

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
When I needed new grille cloth for mine, it was time for the logo to go. Along with the aluminum side trims, each of which was gun-stapled with about 20 fasteners. I also spray painted the baffle face to hide where the wood fibers of the particle board were visible. I think the cloth was under $10, so the modernization project was very inexpensive, and the original parts could be supplied to the next owner upon sale. I think it is a big improvement.

IMG_20161002_104317654.jpg