The Plain White T's Appreciation

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
When pop punk had its golden years in the early 2000s, many bands had a hell of a good time. Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Green Day, New Found Glory and Paramore among them.

Having hailed from the same suburbs of Chicago, IL as Fall Out Boy, Plain White T's were another act that was often called pop punk (or, in some cases, alternative rock).

With a lot of similar influences in their music--Green Day, The Beatles, The Clash and early Police--the Plain White T's were mostly known for their acoustic pop ballad, Hey There Delilah, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 on this date 15 years ago, in 2007. The song was written for the track star Delilah DiCrescenzo, whom lead singer Tom Higgenson had met in 2002.

The single's runaway success (it was originally recorded in 2004, but never officially releaeed as a single until early 2006) suddenly earned The Plain White T's 2 Grammy nominations, including one for Record of the Year (it lost to Rehab by Amy Winehouse). The group never quite scaled such heights again, though lead singer Tom Higgenson did guest on the song Little Miss Obsessive by Ashlee Simpson, and the group even appeared on an iCarly episode perforing the song Our Time Now, which was also featured in promotional trailers for the ABC Family series Greek.

Throughout much of 2008, the Plain White T's toured with Panic At The Disco and also appeared on Sesame Street.
The band's "Rhythm of Love" single was the first to be released from the group's 2010 album, The Wonders of the Younger, which unfortunately sank commercially. The song reached number five on the Hot AC chart, and was in the top ten in 2010 as well. In 2012, the band also covered The Ramones' "Pet Sematary" for the song soundtrack of the 2012 Disney film Frankenweenie. Should've Gone to Bed, a four-song EP, was released on April 9, 2013.
The band left Hollywood Records after creative conflicts with the label during the production of the American Nights album. American Nights was released by Megaforce Records on March 31, 2015. The release date of American Nights was pushed back several times by their former record label, Hollywood Records. In 2015, they also appeared on Blues Traveler's album Blow Up the Moon, co-writing the song "Nikkia's Prom." During this same time, The Plain White T's, along with Panic At The Disco, Cyndi Lauper, Aerosmith and David Bowie, among other artists, contributed to a SpongeBob SquarePants musical, wihch aired on Broadway and even earned a Tony (!) nomination. On November 22, 2015, the band released a music video for "American Nights" featuring Higgenson's son, Lennon.

In May 2017, Plain White T's released a music video for their song "Land of the Living". The band, which had left their label Fearless in 2005, returned to the label. As of April 2017, the band has said that they are currently writing new music. The band performed "Hey There Delilah" at the 2017 Alternative Press Music Awards. In July 2017, the band closed the 2017 National Scout Jamboree, exactly 10 years after "Hey There Delilah" was number-one on the charts. In 2017, Plain White T's re-signed with Fearless Records. Their latest studio album, Parallel Universe, was released on August 24, 2018.

Tirio quit the band in October 2020, making Higgenson the only member of the original line up.

It upsets me that many people consider them a one hit wonder. If you watched Nickelodeon or TRL growing up, then congratulations: you've heard a Plain White T's song. They have more hits, you just need to go on YouTube or Spotify to look up a Plain White T's song.

But if you like Plain White T's (or any other pioneer of pop punk), then let me know.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I loved Hey There Delilah for the same reasons it became a hit-good melody, relatable lyrics, catchy etc. I wish I’d have written it.

Someone should be proud of that one.

Aftermath

Tele-Meister
haha, I remember that song from when I was dating my first girlfriend. My guitarist buddy from high school and I were super into indie music, and he made fun of me for liking that song.