The Pinecaster Book

66tele

TDPRI Member
Just a shout out to my fellow Telecaster fans. This afternoon I received my copy of the four volume Pinecaster book by Nacho Banos. Just one word .... stunning. I've only quickly paged through the first two volumes. Everything is first rate ...photography, writing, layout, packaging, etc. On par with Nacho's Blackguard book. This new book will take hours to absorb! I don't know the size of the production run or if copies are still available. But, I'm very happy I ordered mine.

66tele

TDPRI Member
Nacho estimates between 10 and 20 Pinecasters were made between August 1949 and September 1950 (page 212 in volume 2). These had non-truss rod necks.

Mike Simpson

Doctor of Teleocity
Like many others here I had to make my own pinecaster…

4BB1BB44-1A34-4452-B492-A2EEB3F78849.jpeg

naneek

Tele-Holic
4 volumes on 10-20 guitars?
so it covers about two to five guitars per volume. sounds reasonably thorough.

Like many others here I had to make my own pinecaster…

View attachment 925006
same here. mine is some kind of imaginary modified pinecaster with 50's jazz-box type hardware. it has a wood and bone saddle bridge, fender champion lap steel pickup, and an sd 59 humbucker in the neck.

66tele

TDPRI Member
I understand the confusion given the title. The four volume set isn't just about Pinecasters. Volume 1 is The Pioneers ...very early electric guitars by several different manufacturers. Volume 2 is about Fender prototypes and first production models. Volume 3 is about the Fender Blackguard Years (I haven't compared the contents to Nacho's Blackguard book). Volume 4 is Nitty Gritty ,,,,,wood, hardware, frets, pickups, pickguards, pots, switches, cases, etc.
Volume 2 is interesting because it notes a variety of prototype configurations that I'd never heard of.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I understand the confusion given the title. The four volume set isn't just about Pinecasters. Volume 1 is The Pioneers ...very early electric guitars by several different manufacturers. Volume 2 is about Fender prototypes and first production models. Volume 3 is about the Fender Blackguard Years (I haven't compared the contents to Nacho's Blackguard book). Volume 4 is Nitty Gritty ,,,,,wood, hardware, frets, pickups, pickguards, pots, switches, cases, etc.
Volume 2 is interesting because it notes a variety of prototype configurations that I'd never heard of.

I hope there'll be some nitty-gritty discussion of the chambered pinecasters...

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
There is actually a brief discussion on those bodies, including a photo of an X-ray showing the bracing.

Is there any indication of how many of the pine guitars were chambered? i.e. was it just one or two experiments, was it most of them, or somewhere in between?

I suppose I should just wait for the book, but there's no indication mine will be coming any time soon.

milocj

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Got my tracking number yesterday. Ordered it the first day it was available, book 1226.

Crashbelt

Tele-Holic
It absolutely brilliant. Nacho set the standard for all vintage guitar books with The Blackguard Book, and this continues that unparalleled tradition.

Numbering didn't go high enough for my 53 blackguard so I go the number of my Les Paul Special instead!!!

monkeybanana

Tele-Holic
I finally had a chance to crack them open. It's really cool to see the specs in the Blackguard section. I always imagined they were lighter (I've only held a couple in my real life). I also assumed everything had a 7.25" radius but I see the Broadcasters had 9.5.

I can't get the app to finish installing the required picture download. Anyone else experiencing that?

edit: app fixed, got a super quick response from the team.

Last edited: