The piece of gear you couldn't wait to offload.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendereedo, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

2005 Lyon by Washburn LPT80SB.

I honestly don't know what possessed me.

:(

[​IMG]

2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

An Orange Rockerverb Mark II Amp Head that I bought on Craigslist. I played one a earlier at GC and loved it, but not this one. I could not get a sound out of that amp that I liked, just raspy-raspy tones. Even running it through a 2x12 Creamback cab.

Maybe there was something wrong with the amp. Not sure, but I unloaded that amp one week after I bought it.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I drove over 70 miles to pick up a used LP Classic for around $1000, I think. The pics looked great, but in person, it was a POS, and I was extremely disappointed. Determined to trade in a Roland bass amp and find a deal on a guitar, I found a used Epiphone Joe Pass, and worked a deal on it. The guitar was set up to a passable degree in the store, but once I got it home, I realized it was just too far gone to work with. I put it in a yard sale to raise money for the local arts commission. I think I got $100 for it.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Fender Rhoads. Not exactly a suitcase piano.

5. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Blues Jr amp - bought new about 15 years ago and gone 2 months later. Not for me.

Jaysmay, Fendereedo and Charlodius like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ooooh - that's a shame, because my eyes are telling me it's just Hot. ;)

My nightmare gear was a Crate 2x12 I had no business getting in the first place, but it was a "first amp" and I had grand plans. :rolleyes:
    Total P.O.S.
    Thrilled the day it offloaded in an auction - didn't care about the money loss.
    Peace - Deeve

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I've had a few...

The worst was a boutique acoustic guitar (I won't mention the maker's name because they do seem to have quite a zealous following). I was young and dumb and was convinced by a particularly pushy salesperson to trade a mid-level Martin (which his shop's repair division ruined the bridge of and couldn't seem to fix or replace) for it. It was an OM-sized guitar with dreadnought depth. As soon as I brought it home, I knew I had made a mistake. It looked nice cosmetically but it was basically an expensive piece of furniture with strings on it -- tinny, metallic, and tight-sounding. Took it back the next day when I realized my mistake and the same salesperson took it in to "appraise it". Came back out to say he had to knock $1000 off of it because of a dent -- which was definitely NOT there when I brought it back to the store but clearly was when he brought it back out from the back.

I didn't have much change in them there days, so I reluctantly kept it and tried to bond with it. I never did. Tried different strings, tunings, string height/setup, etc. One of my former bandmates and guitar mentors (who turned out to be quite the [expletive]) repeatedly chastised me about not liking it, claiming I was clearly not a good musician because I couldn't get a sound that I wanted or liked from it. I kept it for almost 10 years before I worked up the courage to trade it and not care if I took a bath on it or if I was called a terrible musician for selling it. I ended up trading it straight across for a Martin. Win. Good riddance. Took a while for that shop to sell it later, so clearly I wasn't the only person who didn't think it was a good instrument.

It still makes me angry to think of that guitar and what I went through with it.

Others included a used Custom Shop Strat that was just an awful instrument that couldn't stay in tune or sound good (traded it for an MIM Classic 50s Strat -- no regrets), an Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor (nice looking guitar and an homage to a great player, but the tone I got from it was very muddy and uninspiring, even after a pickup change), and a Blues Jr amp (it did its job for the gigs I was playing back then but I never liked the tone or feel of it).

Fendereedo and Sparky2 like this.
  8. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

PRS 25th anniversary SE model. Beautiful guitar sounded awful... could've been me but whatever glad to move it along.

esseff, Fendereedo and Dismalhead like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

RIC 360/12, exquisite to look at and one pita to tune and play. I enjoyed it for about 3 weeks before I put it in the case for good. I ended up putting it up for sale in an consignment shop. Luckily I was able to net a little more than I paid for it, but its now in the hands of the next sucker in line on the pyramid scheme.

Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
  10. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

A near mint 1960 Gibson ES330, sunburst with 2 P90s. I bought it at a pawnbroker for less than the price of a reissue.

Here is a thread I posted about it at the time.

1960 Gibson 330TD | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

It was so wonderful I was scared to take it out in case I marked it....Yes I know it was silly but I didn't want to be responsible for hurting a beauty that had survived 55 years unscathed. If it had a few battle scars when I got it it might have been a different story.

I sold it to a friend who had a few vintage pieces and didn't suffer from any anxiety when using them.

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Because they look dang cool! I’d love to have a Washburn version

I still have my bad piece of gear, a fender champion 100, it sounds okay... but it’s just not for me, the way the tones interact with each other is strange
    I haven’t been bothered with offloading it yet though

I think it would be great as a beater or a beginner

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just recently bought and sold a 2014 SE Custom because the pickups were muddy and it weighed over 9 lbs. I think the newer models from Indonesia have better pickups.

playforfun and Fendereedo like this.
  13. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Three pieces of gear spring to mind, each of which were utterly disappointing!

The first, a Mesa Boogie Lone Star. I bought it used, but it was at the time the most expensive amp I'd bought. I couldn't get a decent overdrive sound from it. Clean was very nice, but overdrive was mushy and farty.

DSC02022.jpg
    Next on the list is a Victory V40 valve amp. On paper, it did everything I wanted. A clean single channel valve amp in a small format with an effects loop. The sound was a bit flat, but worse was that the effects loop hated volume pedals. I always use a volume pedal in the loop and turning down the volume in the loop lost the top end too. I've never experienced that in any other amp, so it had to go.
    DSC00840.jpg

Finally, Gibson SG '61 reissue from about 2004. I bought it for a bargain price on Reverb. It looked like it had been kept in a shed, but I cleaned it up and it was almost as good as new. However, it was the most dead, lifeless and dark sounding electric guitar I'd ever played. Very uninspiring and by far the worst SG I'd owned.

DSC_0665.jpg

14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

OCD pedal and Big Muff pedal....

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

MXR Super Badass Distortion, it taught me I really don't like scooped MIABs, and Boss OC-3, horrible tracking of low E string. Switched to EHX pitchfork, what a difference!

Oh... Line6 Spider III modeling amp, what a POS!

@El Marin OCD?? what's wrong with you!!?? My favorite pedal by a mile. Different strokes...

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Mooer E7 Polyphonic. Just an Awful Awful racket.
    Useless.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I can’t say right now, because they’re all in the classifieds as “regretfully, time to thin the herd” and “cash flow problems force me to sell one of my favourites.”

:D

18. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

A Gibson sg a longtime ago and recently two multieffect devices. Too complicated…

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Me too, but I like the Pro Jr, go figure.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  20. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

https://images.app.goo.gl/BLgppqn1U7364WTJA

Yamaha RBX800A. I bought this as an upgrade from the horendous Aria X1 that I started with. The Yammie was a beautiful instrument but I just couldn't dial in a sound that sat well in the band mix. I soon traded it for a MusicMan Stingray 5 and never looked back.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.