1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The pickups in my Tele are too low output. Please help me find what I am looking for.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rich2k4, Nov 29, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

I have a 8502 Tele. Not sure what pickups are in it, or if they are even the originals, but the guitar has a much lower output when compared to my strat.

If you play the guitar isolated, you can't really tell, but as soon as I plug in my strat after the tele, the volume difference is very large. The strat sounds a lot louder and much more boomy and bell like.

Not sure what pickups are in the strat. It is a 1988 American Standard and as far as I know, is stock.

I have tried messing with the pickup height on the Tele but it doesn't really help. I have come to the conclusion that the pickups are simply too low output.

I want Tele pickups that can match the volume of my strat, but still retain the Tele characteristics. It is important to me to have a strong loud signal, and that the volume balance between the neck and bridge pickups are balanced. I don't want there to be a volume difference when moving from the neck to the bridge, just a tonal difference.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials and a 4 way switch for series.

3. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I'm a big fan of Wildes (Bill Lawrence). The microcoils are absolutely a amazing. More traditional are the keystones. Noiseless, get 200s or 298 lead/200 neck (or 280 neck). And their prices are excellent

4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

A set of Seymour Duncan Five-Twos would do nicely or Jerry Donahues.

5. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

That works for me too. :D

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The pickups in my Tele are too low output. Please help me find what I am look...

I like a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Lead in the bridge position. My favorite Tele bridge pickup. Ever.

Throw a strat pickup of your choice in the neck position. You'll have a sweet little machine.

FWIW- I'm not a fan of the Texas Specials. Too dark for my tastes. And tend to be noisy if you use even moderate dirt. YMMV, lots of folks like them.

7. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

If you don't want to switch pickup types in the neck, a Hot Tele set will bump up the output nicely without completely ruining the Tele vibe. You will gain more mids and lows than highs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.