The phrase "I'm no expert but...."

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PeterUK, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Awww Nawww, that's where all the experts are!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

rangercaster likes this.
  2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oddly enough, me too! :lol:

rangercaster and Matthias like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I reckon that's gonna eliminate 99.47% of the posters, leaving only outright liars to post! :D

Modman68 likes this.
  4. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

It's like when a family member at Thanksgiving says something like, "Look, I'm not a racist or anything, but [enter obscenely racist observations here]."

You tighten up on the inside and you look through your brow at them. :(

Marn99, telemnemonics and PeterUK like this.
  5. PeterUK

I have to confess I have a slightly cruder version of this which would get me more than a self-enforced 2-year exile!

And I like it here so I won't - give you my version. :)

6. PeterUK

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG! I know EXACTLY what you mean! :eek:

Marn99 and telemnemonics like this.
  7. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister

I wonder how often I preface my comments that way...

Your point is well-taken. Pushing opinions and unresearched biases - especially when it can cause damage - is pretty bad practice. In your example, the opinion should have been stated less forcefully.

On the other hand, I think a lot of the guys on this post who are "not experts" do actually have a lot of knowledge. An "amateur" is a lover, and a lot of amateurs know a lot about what they love. Mentioning that the post is not an expert opinion can help the OP's wade through the comments for what is most useful... even though sometimes the non-experts have some good ideas, too!

PeterUK likes this.
  8. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ok thanks. I recently got 'The SG Guitar Book' by Tony Bacon, copyright 2015, and see in the back that he has also 'The Telecaster Guitar Book', "revised and updated" but doesn't say a year. Think I'll check it out online. Any opinions on that one?

9. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Blue Bill likes this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

"I'm no expert but".....my wife seems to know everything.

PeterUK likes this.
  11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert, and I learn every day from Guys and Gals that are not experts, and conversely.
    A forum of experts is uninteresting : they know it all, and you should know like them or you are an idiot.
    That's why I quickly left some ugly "expert" forums - The Tube Amp Garage, among others...

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

12. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    without " im no expert " forums wouldnt exist in the way they do :) .. there will be only libraries :)

Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.
  13. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Time for the immortal words of Jack Wells.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe if the sword doesn't take my head clean off?

I'm not an English language usage expert but when I coined the acronym INAEB I chose to misquote your OP use of "I'm no expert but" (INEB) because (IMO) "I'm no expert" sounds sarcastic.
    Or maybe as @getbent posted about a while back, INEB could be anti intellectualist.
    Could also be subtly anti science to preface an opinion with "I'm no expert but".

Given that for 10-20 years or longer, experts have been taking a beating.
    This might trace back to when food product science concluded that increased shelf life could be achieved by removing the nutritious parts and replacing them with hydrogenated fats and preservatives.
    Snake oil has been around forever, but mass marketing of snake oil was a shift.
    The internet is only a small player in the mass con of humanity.

I'm no expert but wonder bread does not help build strong bodies 12 ways.

I'm no expert but I read on the internet that organic food is no more nutritious than wonder bread.

15. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I'm no expert, but this thread keeps popping up when I visit the Home tab.

I'm no expert, but I guess now I'm the one to blame.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    brogh likes this.
  16. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

wrong on the internet cartoon.jpg

Sneaks, PeterUK and moosie like this.
  17. PeterUK

Yeah. It's a bit right field, I admit. :lol:

18. PeterUK

I totally agree. The TDPRI has become a source of 'all things Telecaster' so qualified and validated experience is as good as 'expert opinion'.

But we need to be mindful that what we post is forever - and forever can become a false truth.

The legend of Tadeo Gomez was created on these pages (and '0l Fuzzy's Weber Board). A mythical story of how he personally and beautifully carved every single neck in the early days. Mythical visions of him sat outside the factory in the sunshine, cigarette in the corner of his mouth, taking hours to sand the Tadeo taper and personally signing the neck; sometimes left-handed.

Recently this totally mythical, unsubstantiated story appeared in a guitarist magazine as a factual article as part of the history of the Telecaster and the early Fender years.

Applying this logic, all future owners of 5-hole pickguard 1959 Teles should scratch away the perfectly preserved nitro finish to discover if there is a filled screw hole.

Remember. The internet is forever and it the 'I'm no expert but...' guys states that all pickguard screws are 1" x #6 we're going to have a lot of puzzled and disappointed Tele owners in the future [disclaimer; this example is totally made up].

Now don't get me started on the 'Now my guess would be...' guy! :eek:

19. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I wonder who qualifies whom as an expert in telecasters .. is it Fender ? who ?

Who's the one who gives "you" the expert badge ? ..

Expertise is gained from well guess what experience and study, and everyone could be an expert or not, but you need to verify the credentials, many times post count swindles users in thinking about the amount of expertise and that is wrong, but that's how forum go, everybody can say whatever they want ( well within reason ).

I've never seen so far a "Qualified Telecaster Expert" certificate and sincerely that would be kinda crazy, people have passion about many things and tend to go down the rabbit hole way too much imho, one thing is understanding where your instrument comes from and the history behind it, another thing is obsess over the correct lenght/material/color of the pickguard screws ( just be cause you made an example of it, it could have been anything... ) that really aren't functional to the instrument sound in a massive way.

Personally I like to research stuff I'm interested in, if I have questions I'll ask, but I always take "suggestions" & "opinions" with, well; quite a grain of salt because .. yeah we can circle all day around this in the end that's what they are... suggestions & opinions, from whom you're taking them & why is just up to you.

The "I'm no expert in my OPINION", is kinda a warning, and who read that should really know that somebody is trying to give an advice based on his (big or small ) experience and no more, and that to me says it all.

I wouldn't however blame this person because he's trying to help somebody who poses a question or has a doubt, which I think it's nice, and this is why we have these lenghty discussion here about " aria fritta " .. (Fried Aair) which bring to nothing.

Everybody in "here" could be a student or a preapared and certified player,(luthier/teacher/whatever) but you'll probably never know unless you meet IRL or you know who you're talking to.

It's your Opinion that who says "I'm no expert " is "not worthy" of giving/writing information, I'm more worried about the self procalimed Experts all around the world, that do crap all day long.

And now .. I'm gonna grab one of 45 vintage guitars plug it into one of my 16 vintage amps now and play... uh yeah . .making music .. good one ;) :lol:

cheerios

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I view the declaration of lack of experience a plea for setting a person straight, politely, if they get it wrong.

Blue Bill, telemnemonics and PeterUK like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.