1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The pedal that changed everything for you....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I knew you would dig it, so much there with a little twist of a knob and much more than an Overdrive pedal!
    My problem is remembering the last great setting I was using, I need to start taking pics of my settings, before making big changes! Enjoy Brother!!

jannodude likes this.
  2. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Zoom MS50G. I

More delays/reverbs than I could ever use, plus just about any other effect you can think of.

With the amp sims, I e taken it to many a gig as my only piece of equipment besides my guitar.

Frontier9 likes this.
  3. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

24408AC0-E927-42C7-83C4-AF408DDE2EFE.jpeg

Lashdog, 4pickupguy, DFB1 and 4 others like this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Germanium treble booster for me too, which then led to exploring every other kind of boost. I still like the sound of a simple booster. Three flavors I've built, the Red Rooster may be my current favorite.

OldGoldandOlRed.jpg redrooster_top.jpg

5. MarkSieber

MarkSieber TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hudson Broadcaster. I like playing into a Fender BF type, but want some additional character controlled at the guitar volume knob without being so loud.

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

For me it was two overdrives. The Blackstone Appliances Overdrive and the Fulltone OCD. Really, those two pedals allowed me to learn how to use overdrive, and thereby, other effects.

7. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I am a big fan of the Fender reverb tank. That and a SurfyVibe are all I need.

8. Junco Partner

Junco Partner TDPRI Member

When I was young, the RAT quickly became my favorite. I don’t know how much it changed what I was already doing, but I certainly thought everything suddenly sounded better at the time.

Now I’m constantly changing out low gain overdrives and crazy fuzzes every few weeks. I should probably just stick to the RAT.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I guess the Rat.
    However the Ethos pre-amp has allowed me to get into W/D/W which is heaven.

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

As much as I'm into pedals, I've never had one that changed everything for me.

That said, some specific pedals changed what I though about certain types of effects, forever...

After going through all types of fuzzes to try and get either specific tones or vibes, the Jordan Bosstone was both the encapsulation of what you hear on a song like Spirit in the Sky, and it just seems to be really good for a wide variety of uses, and, perhaps best of all, it's pretty much amp agnostic. It's also a nice and simple circuit that doesn't require any mojo parts.

IDK if it's really even necessary to mention the Rat as being the one that changed the way I thought about distortion and OD pedals, but it's absolutely true. The Rat has more in common with actual amp OD than many other solid state distortion circuits. Its voicing just really hits the sweet spot for distorted guitar tones. It also works great for mild OD, IMO. I've tried a ton of other distortion pedals, but the Rat is truly in a class by itself.

The Dan Echo was the first non-analog delay to really change how I thought about old school/low-fi delay sounds. But beyond that, it had a lot more flexibility/adjustability than many analog delays, too. This was really my staple/go-to delay in the late 90's/early 00's.

And the OD that really changed what I thought about drive pedals was the V1 Marshall Bluesbreaker, from the very first time I tried it, in a Mars store. Even through whatever little practice amp they had all the demo pedals going through, I could still hear a voicing and breakup that none of the other OD pedals (including something like a Boss OD-3) could touch. I could go into Mars for like an hour, put a Strat on the neck pickup, and just do some low gain blues rock stuff, and pretty much be in heaven the whole time.

The above pedals are probably the ones that made the most lasting impressions on me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    czech-one-2 and bluesholyman like this.
  11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Boss Bf-3 and flanging in general. I used to have a Russian small stone that I loved. It broke and I traded it because pedal collecting wasn’t a thing back then. Ever since that day I traded it I’ve been searching. I’m sure my memory only glorifies the thing but it started me on a quest to find the perfect woosh! Lived on chorus for a while and love it but never quite the same. I bought phasers and never got it. I bought a Boss flanger on a whim sure that I’d hate it. Whoa! Goodbye choruses and phasers! Not really but I hardly use them now. Univibe is next. Can’t believe it took me so long to buy a flanger. Probably formed a negative opinion early on due to bad emulations on cheap multi-effects units. TRY FLANGE!!! I find any subtle movement underneath helps add dimension and draws discerning listeners in deeper.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  12. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    EH English Muff'n

bluesholyman likes this.
  13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'd say my first decent delay whatever that was, lol.

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

There’s actually been two pedals, and each of them helped make “the sound in my head” come true or came at a time when I needed new inspiration.

The first was the Tube Screamer. I love my Fender Vibroverb—but it is too loud to turn it up into natural overdrive, especially in the small clubs we usually play...and even if I can turn it up (like at an outdoor festival) it stays pretty clean. The TubeScreamer (first a TS-5 Soundtank, later a TS-9 reissue, an original TS-10 and a weirdo TS-7) added the needed overdrive and also shaved off a little of the harshness that the bridge pickup of a Telecaster or a Stratocaster sometimes exhibits. The TS-9RI won the contest between the different iterations and still resides proudly on my Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss.

Second one is the MXR Micro Amp. For years, I’d tried to find a boost that didn’t tend to over-process or compress the signal. I’d tried a Boss CS-3 (terrible), a DOD Equalizer (great until it died), and a second overdrive pedal (usually TubeScreamer-flavored, but sometimes not) with the gain set low and volume set high. They all worked with varying degrees of success, but never quite enough to make me happy.

On a whim, I tried a Micro Amp and *BAM!* that was the thing I’d been looking for! It didn’t change the tone or anything, it was just a “more of me” pedal that punched the signal forward.

Now I’m debating whether to put two of them on my pedalboard—one to run “all the time” and the second for solos, etc.

Honorable mention:
    A pedal I only use for 3-4 songs in a night (if I’m doing a 30-song/3-set gig), but is indispensable for those songs: an MXR Phase 90.

I bought mine at a pawn shop in Cleburne, Texas for $20 (with an original box and booklet)...I didn’t know it was a rare one—early block logo, but still had the “script” circuit board in it...I bought it because it sounded great for my frequent Waylon-esque excursions, to funk up a rock tune, to create an atmospheric swirl on the slowest of settings and a faux Leslie on the fastest of settings. I don’t use it often, but when I do, dang it’s cool! :cool::cool::cool:

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The pedal that changed everything for me was the accelerator in my '68 Firebird.

Speedo went up to 160. That car used all of it.

Middleman, codamedia and bluesholyman like this.
  16. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

In 1984 I bought a Boss CS-2 Compressor...
    It changed everything for me and the tone/feel is still a big part of what I do.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

the heavy clutch in my buddy's Carrera made him throw me out of it after my first test drive, thus preventing my ever taking up a more expensive hobby

18. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

Valeton FET Preamp (Boss FA-1 clone). I use it to boost the normal channel on my Vox Ac15c1. Plug in a guitar with a P90 in the bridge and nothing sounds better.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

The throttle pedal on my bosses’ Triumph Dolomite Sprint years ago. Used it to take some equipment to a retailer. Let loose in a fast car for the first time, I floored it on a country lane but at around 50 mph realised that the straight ahead road was a farm track, the road itself doing a 90 degree right. Finished up in a cloud of mud, gravel and various animal poo 100 yards or so down the track facing the way I’d came, with a bloke walking his dog looking at my ashen face. ‘You alright?’ be asked, I nodded ‘keep your right foot off that pedal, if not you’ll get to your destination quicker but it won’t be where you wanna go’.
    Since that event whenever I’ve been tempted to stamp on that pedal I hear his words.

20. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

boss rc20xl looper.
    i play riffs and grooves now, as opposed to noodling em pentatonic and driving the wife nuts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.