1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Parting Of A 51

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Major Gruber, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I was guffawing at the idea of paying $2,200+ for a single pickup, until I saw that he also wants $2,200+ for a pickguard, ie, a chunk of molded plastic.

Browsing his other auctions I see he wants $550, plus shipping, for a pair of pots. Which is kind of insane. These were mass produced little things. I would bet money there are some '60s era pots sitting in my great-uncle's garage when he passed (electrical engineer and inveterate tinkerer). You could've probably gotten a nickle each for them at a yard sale. But if they happened to spend 60 years inside a stratocaster, they'd be worth $549.95 more than a literally identical gizmo that didn't?

2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, a couple of years ago this happened all the time. Any non-original guitar was parted out rather than sold as is. Then prices for parts went down for some reason and the parting out practice of old fenders seemed to come to a stop. Indeed sad to see it taking off again.

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

When the guitars are expensive, so are the parts their made of.

4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

5. slimdave

slimdave TDPRI Member

It's weird that he asks 12.5k$ for a 1951 body when you can get a refin'd 1952 Blackguard with ALL the parts for 1k$ more... It's a strange world we live in.

6. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Heavy sigh... Not sure if I even want to look.

7. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Oh no... I looked. I need the neck pickup and the case is very nice indeed. Anyone need a kid? I have one for sale suddenly.
    Shut up kid, it was a joke...
    Holy smoke... Glad I'm just having my pickup rewound.
    As the owner of a 51 I must say that pricing sucks for two reasons.
    1. Pricing like that puts most vintage parts out of the price range of actual players replacing a part/sound and into the realm of a collectors restoration.
    2. It makes my 51 worth more to thieves as parts. So if taken, there is less hope of getting anything back at all.
    I'm off to go scratch a lottery ticket.

8. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish TDPRI Member

Yes the Vintage world is cruel! The stress of damaging something is something on my mind when
    I play on one. Your gift is the story and the history behind the guitar. It was purchased and used for what it is and I'm sure your Grandpa never thought about how this guitar is going to be a financial investment. That is sort of a bonus but only matters if you ever decide to sell it one day.

9. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I thought this thread was about Squier 51s, not some ancient Fender.

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I remember buying my 52 in 2000 or so and Elderly included the original case and strap. Years later I asked the folks at the TDPRI if it was worth anything or if I should just throw out that nasty old strap at least. Folks set me straight. Looks like I could sell the case for twice what I paid for the guitar now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  11. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

I know this guy with the current moniker tradeitinmusic under various names has been doing this for at least a decade now.

12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Yeah those guys would part out their own mother if they can make a buck that way :(

13. russ

russ Tele-Meister

A few years back, I sold this same seller a nice '68 strat.
    That guitar no longer exists. I owned it about 20 years.

14. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yikes.

15. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I certainly won't be buying any of these parts. I hate to see something like this parted out. Now, I did part out a 60's Silvertone semi-hollow body one time but the guitar was not playable. I gave $15 for it but sold the guitar in parts for almost $1000.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.