1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Over 60 Club--Please Read Carefully!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Jan 26, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Carvel near my house has buy-one-get-one ice cream sundaes every Wednesday.

I know, twists my head, too. Sundaes on Wednesday...

Wonder what day of the week I was born... Where's that darn coupon...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

You have to be a Billy Joel fanatic from the release of Piano Man to later learn about Cold Spring Harbor. It took several years for people to learn that album existed.

It was mastered too slow, a huge error, so when you played it on your turntable, Billy sounded like a soprano! It was remastered later (twice) to fix this.

I think these songs are FANTASTIC, but I know you weren't referring to this album because it got absolutely no AirPlay and nobody bought it, even after the Piano Man LP became a monster best-seller.

Except some guys like me. I have the original LP. And you gotta remember that they didn't press a million of these things.

moosie likes this.
  3. moosie

So, have part of you buried in Florida, and the rest of you scattered in the hills... Easy-peasy. :D

My son and I have covered thousands of miles hiking together, but we don't do it anymore. I got sick, and he got busy working and having kids. It's arrogant of me, but sometimes I think my last wish should be for my ashes to be spread in some place that you can only hike to, and that would involve more than just a day trip. In the hopes that it would (also) remind him how important that was/is in his life, and not to let it fade away.

But then I think that's just arrogant and attempting to manipulate and control situations (even for the best of reasons) after my time to do so is done. That's why I won't do it.

4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I can't remember if I ever posted here! Anyway 64; 65 in July. Widowed.

And I remember 5 Cent bottles of Soda (was outside Boston then) if you drank it at the corner store. Otherwise you had to pay 7 Cents to take the bottle. I remember 1.35 minimum wage.

I died and was revived two years ago. Heart attack. Doing fine now (I think) with 4 stints.
    As far as buried etc . Don't really care. Not my problem. But it will be Arlington or whatever National Cemetery my kids pick.

5. moosie

You know how you often only realize how good things were after the fact? Not always. It was the Piano Man album, of which nearly every single song was amazing, where my what, 15 year old self, realized what an amazing time it was. Not just Piano Man, but all the great then-new music we were all being exposed to, daily. Not that Piano Man was the best of it all - I don't even care for BJ after that album, personal taste - but it was just one of seemingly a hundred great records, from Hendrix to Simon & Garfunkel, Grateful Dead to Rolling Stones. Really a good time to have been a teen.

Ira7 likes this.
  6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

We had variety. Every style of music, and all of it getting played on regular radio for us to learn about it.

moosie likes this.
  7. moosie

Absolutely. Including some fabulous R&B that I didn't love at the time, because it seemed like it was on every station. But some of those sounds are burned into my brain, and today they bring back fond memories.

Ira7 likes this.
  8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I started kindergarten in 1961 or so. I was five.

And believe it or not, at that time, WE WERE ABLE TO LEAVE THE SCHOOL AT LUNCHTIME TO EITHER WALK HOME FOR LUNCH OR EAT ELSEWHERE!

Five years old, mind you.

My mom wasn't the nurturing mom type who ever made me lunch, so she simply gave me a quarter every day.

Come lunchtime, I went to the pizzeria on the corner and bought a slice for 10 cents and Coke for 5 cents. (Joe's Pizza! Avenue L and East 92nd Street in Canarsie, Brooklyn.)

That left me a dime, and I then spent 5 cents on a Scooter (Moon) Pie at the candy store next door, and my remaining 5 cents on penny candy.

25 freaking cents total, and life was wonderful and I felt like a rich man.

moosie and brookdalebill like this.
  9. PacificChris

PacificChris Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Whether your body goes in a box in the ground or it gets burned up and the ashes scattered somewhere, it's all about being remembered. The dead person doesn't care.

My parents, still living in their own home in their 80s, have a site and a headstone already set up. We all took Zach's ashes to a location near Lake Tahoe. I like to think that grand setting is his headstone. But we do (and will) remember them in other ways and places too.

10. PacificChris

PacificChris Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Oh, I didn't read carefully, sorry. Well, I'm 63. I remember seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan but for some reason was more of a Beach Boys fan. But the Beatles cranking out records in '65 and '66 where the B side was just as good as the A side was unreal.

That's 45 rpm singles for any youngsters reading!

11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

My wife's family lived in Belgium 1962-1967. In kindergarten, they got beer with their lunch. Of course nap-time followed immediately.

bigbean, moosie and brookdalebill like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My kindergarten memory is sad.
    I started in 1962, so the memory is if the JFK assassination.
    All the women in my life were crying their eyes out.

moosie and rad1 like this.
  13. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

I know I shouldn't be posting here cause I'm only 56 but i just had to thank you for making me feel young. Thank you

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Is it too late to comment?
    I went 68 last week and know the feeling. And I feel worst about seeing the 70 coming.
    Just like when I was 57... but worst
    When I turned 50, I decided I was old enough to know what I was doing and got a tatoo done on my skin... Last week, I realised it was 18 years ago. It's one of the things I don't regret having done, because the older you get, the harder it is to do these things without feeling like it's too late for that.
    The nice thing is that I have a lot of great memories.
    Btw, I have been a fan of the Beatles for my first years until I switched to Rock, up to Judas Priest, then SRV and Garry Moore made me switch to Rick Blues, then I adopted Blues and Slide until today

15. moosie

I was in second grade. My first thought was that I bet JFK's kids got let out of school early. They're so lucky.

Hey, I was six years old...

That reminds me... what's kindergarten? My first day of first grade was the first day of everything. At most I'd had a few days or weeks in some arts & crafts thing the summer before. I know because I still have the little blue ceramic dinosaur I made. Sits right on my desk.

That first day I think my mom must have been a wreck. She walked me to the bus, watched me get on, and she followed me to school in the car. Just in case. Overkill, you say? Well...

On the way home that day, I'm only five years old, right?, and smushed to the back of the bus. My stop came, and no one paused long enough to invite me to get off, or something, and there were all these big kids' legs in the aisle... I can still see the look on my mom's face out the window. She's standing on the corner waiting for me. I'm looking at her through the window, only a few feet away, and the bus pulls away.

She freaks out. Hops into the car, chases the bus, honking like crazy, then passes and forces the bus over to the curb. No kidding. Gets out, races up to the front of the bus, and is hollering at the driver.

I was pretty embarrassed, oh yeah. But deep down, I was never so glad to see my mom!

P Thought and bigbean like this.
  16. moosie

Well, you've got two years to go. Isn't it kind of an assumption that you'll live to see it anyway? I mean, really.

There, is that better? :D

You may not like getting old, but the alternative's worse!

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  17. walpow

walpow Tele-Meister

I lived in Brooklyn until I was four or five, when we moved to Queens. But my father never tired of saying, "I'll hit you so hard you'll end up on the other side of Canarsie." This greatly amuses my wife.

18. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

yo.... chill I'm 68 pushing 69 cancer ght me to relax, make friend with dead then his approach visit will not be a scary propsect I'm not really going any in the long run and I certainly don't have the hurry-hurry rush-rush about anything, not anymore. age? age is a joke , yes aches and pains do come with the territory, but when I was getting treat for cancer I learn that the pro's from dover can ease pain like never before.
    So you must have stuff to do?
    retirement? is just around the corner, right;) sit on the poarch and compose
    a poem . I would never, but you can could take up golf to augment your guitar playing. The there's the senior center.:eek:
    I know , hold of , women your age go there , we men die a lot earlier than women do.soooo:rolleyes: If your single odds are, I don't wanna say it could be compared to fishin' in a barrel, but it is. Now I'm busy doing stuff , 68 pushing 69 stupid stuff, but at times it's nice to have some appreciative company to go with my double low-fat decaf grande latte thingy.

P Thought likes this.
  19. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Canarsie was always the butt of jokes. It's even mentioned in two episodes of The Honeymooners!

20. wrk2321

wrk2321 TDPRI Member

LMAO, I will be turning 66 in July and I'm having the time of my life. My late wife passed away after 30+ years of marriage in 09, and this year I was told by the IRS that I could draw 1400.00 a month suvivorship rights instead of pulling from my retirement, SO I have a little extra money for things. And now after not playing for over 40 years I am finding myself being called out to gig again and life is great.

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.