1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Original Fender Super Champ Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big Tony, Jun 16, 2009.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    A 12" cab for this amp is not an issue...

sbxseilahgovhtn3qlwm.jpg

fsq0ausnaz6sulumqtxk.jpg

2. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

also, is adding the 1/4" output jack as easy as it seems?

pop the plug out, snip the leads, solder to jack, mount jack?

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know what I was thinking....my bad on the 'it won't work'. Sharp amp there.
    Ken, yes, it is that easy.

KenRothman likes this.
  4. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

5. Wally

That is the correct jack. There is a connection to the tip for one lead from the OT. The shorting tab lug connects to the 'ground' lug on the jack. The other OT lead connects to that 'ground' lug...which contacts the ring of the plug.
    The shorting tab establishes a 'short' from the tip to the ring contacts. This short protects the OT in case there is no speaker plugged in. If this short is not there, the OT would see an open circuit...and will not last very long in that situation. When a speaker is plugged in, the tip contact separates that lug from the shorting tab, and the OT sees a correct circuit.
    If you don't understand this, take...don't bring but take....the amp to a tech. (;^)

6. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

i understand... i think :)

i have the two existing leads that are already there, going to the speaker... and then a third lead to ground for the shorting feature.

are there instructions for this simple "mod" posted anywhere for reference?

7. Wally

Ken, there are two wires that lead from the OT secondary to the speaker...a black and a white wire. These should be the only wires that pass through that retainer there. These are the only two wires that are involved in wiring that jack. The white wire goes to the tip contact. The black wire goes to the ring contact. The ring contact lug and the shorting tab lug need to be connected either with black wire going through one lug and to the other or with a separate wired between those two lugs. I have no idea what other 'ground wire' there can be there. There is a ground wire that Fender used from the chassis to the frame of the speaker, but that wire does not pass through that retainer...only the OT secondary leads should be there. I just pulled mine apart to see....and I will install a jack while is apart.
    IF you are not experienced in this perhaps a tech would be your best bet. Have the amp evaluated, voltages taken, biasing assessed, etc while the amp is on the bench. IT is good to know what the amp is doing, imho.

8. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

thanks wally, this makes sense to me.
    i've not done much wiring work on amps, esp tube amps... but plenty of guitar and pedal fx work. i thought this was a relatively simple fix... and am comfortable doing this, i think.
    even more so since i'm only dealing with the 2 wires that are already there. your clarification is very helpful, and i'm glad to not have to specify a third wire and a third ground point or whatever.

9. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

another question when i put this guy in the 12" cab... any recommendations for the reverb tank? should i move the one from the original cab, or buy a new tank for the new cab... if so, which tank? accutronics?

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Mine has the original reverb tank in the new cab... I don't see a reason to replace it myself.

Wally likes this.
  11. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

yeah, i guess.
    only reason would be if i wanted to go back and forth between cabs, but i don't see that happening too often

12. Wally

Ken, as I installed the 1/4" speaker out jack in one of my SC's it occurred to me...again....one possible reason for Fender's opting to hardwire that speaker. The 1/4" jack ends up being very close to the pins of a noval tube socket. One needs to take care as to the orientation of the jack and also use some locative on the jack threads to keep that jack from getting loose and rotating. One good thing is that the pin that would be most likely to come into contact with a loose jack would be the pin 8 cathode, which is grounded.

13. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

thanks wally, good advice!

14. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

alright... phase 1 done... got the jack installed and the current 10" wired to a 1/4" and it all seems to be working.

now i wait for the new cab and new speaker to show up and repeat.

15. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

ok, here 'tis...

this combo with the newell cab and the neo creamback weighs almost the same as the original cab with JBL E-110 empty!

***BUT*** the reverb is humming! :( any advice? if anything it's further away from the transformer than it was before, due to the bigger case... not sure what else to try. i'm not against buying a new tank if i need it, but i don't suspect so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. KenRothman

KenRothman TDPRI Member

... turns out it was the 6C10... i swapped it with a "new" one, but obviously it's no good :(

17. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ken , that looks really good.
    Now that is a bummer !

KenRothman likes this.
  18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm in!

19. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Did the pedal come with the SuperChamp or was it extra? I bought a SuperChamp new in 1984 but didn't get the pedal

20. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

upload_2017-1-14_20-26-53.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.