The Original Fender Super Champ Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big Tony, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Shiney Strings

Shiney Strings NEW MEMBER!

Hi All
    My Super Champ is a 1982 model and I've had it from new. I well remember all of the other Rivera era Fender amps as I worked in my local music shop at the time. I particularly liked the Princeton as well as both Champ types. I wasn't quite so keen on the overdrive offered up by the Deluxe Reverb II and Concert, probably as I've always leaned towards a Marshall style drive sound. I actually bought one of the solid state combos first which suited the band I was in for a while but later traded it for the Super Champ. I can't say it's been my number one amp for all of these years, again, I'm really a Marshall guy, but it it go with me to the grave as it is far to useful to lose!

I've done a few mods to try to make the Character more Marshall in the mids. I fitted a 5 Volt reed relay, operated from the foot-switch to engage the mid boost. I powered the relay from the vactrol supply line. I generally don't have reverb on so I sacrificed the reverb switching for the mid boost function.

I found a website some years ago (can't remember where) with a few mods which I included. Reverb 2000pf to 500pf cap, 4k7 to 6k8, mid resistor, screen grid resistors, 330p with series resistor for mid boost, all snubbers removed and speaker changed for an Eminence Ragin Cajun. I never really bonded with the sound of this speaker so later I built an larger pine cab and fitted a Celestion vintage 30, which was definitely more my thing - apart from the increase in size and weight.

I recently put it all back in the original cabinet and found that my opinion on the Ragin Cajun was coloured by it not being broken in, a process that I found about later. I now find myself really liking the RJ so much so, that I've restored the amp circuit to original (screen grid resistors excepted) to remind me how it sounds with this "new" speaker. Having the original cab does make the amp far more portable, especially on some of the cramped stages I've gigged on. The Vintage 30 is in it's own cab so that itch can be scratched if necessary.

Anyhow, so glad I've found these SC threads, I'll be wading through Bendyha's observations and trying a few mods out once I've re-aquainted myself with my restored amp.

Bendyha likes this.
  2. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi Shiney Strings. Welcome to TDPRI- Great to have another SC owner here, and someone who has experience in working on the amps set-up and circuitry - looking forward to hearing more from you.

3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I need to write up a post about the transformer swap/upgrade that I did in my Super Champ, held back until I did a few gigs with it first to get a good insight into the changes.

4. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

Hi all, looking to replace a couple knobs on my SC that have gone missing from the push pull pots over the years. Anyone ever had to replace theirs? Any specific one that fits and looks period correct? Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.