The Original Fender Super Champ Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big Tony, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congatulations in finding such a perfect looking gem. They are great amps, you'll love it.

2. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Hey, fellow super champers. I never use the lead channel. Last night I pulled the lead knob and the volume drop was considerable. I cranked both the lead and master volumes to 10. It was not loud. I swapped out tubes but no noticeable difference. Is this usual?

3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Is your reverb working OK?

4. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Yes

5. Bendyha

Hmmm... try measuring if the switch (when pushed in, and thus open) is measuring 1M to ground.

Edit: I didn't specify which side of the switch:oops:
    :rolleyes:well...both sides should read about 1M to ground.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Might be an obvious thing to ask but did you turn up the lead master too? The switch is on the normal gain knob, the lead master is separate. Could just be dirt in the switch, try pulling it out a few times and see if it clears.

7. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

Here's a project finally coming along. It's a 1981 Super Champ that I've owned since 1985. The solid pine cabs still need a finish and badges. The amp is completely stock. I'm running JJ 6V6s and yes I have a stash of 6C10s. The bottom is loaded with 2 10" WGS G10Cs. I still have original combo cab with original Fender Blue Label 10". I will post additional pics as I wrap up this project. Comments/

Attached Files:

hrstrat57 likes this.
  8. Bendyha

Looking good. 33 years together, then the desire for the plastic surgery:D

Do you mean 2 x G10C, and the "s" is a pluralization, or do you mean 2 x G10C/S, which is a different speaker ?

Did you take two 4 Ohm speakers in series, or two 16 in parallel ?......and just out of interest, what led you to the one choice over the other?

9. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

Yeah sure, they are the WGS G10C ribbed cone 16 ohm speakers in parallel, not the smooth cone G10CS. Here's a list of 10" speakers I've tried with the Super Champ:
    • Stock Fender Blue Label (good speaker, re-coned by Ted Weber himself ~20 years ago)
    • Celestion 30W G10 Greenbacks x 2 (too nasally and can get flabby)
    • Celestion 60W G10 Vintage x 2 (great balanced tone, nice overdrive, a close second place)
    • Eminence Copperhead (sounded a lot like the stock Fender Blue Label, not bad)
    • Weber 75W NeoMag 10 with aluminum dust cap (brittle treble, little bass response)
    • Warehouse Guitar Speakers G10C 75W 16 ohm x 2 (current speakers)
    I decided on the WGS speakers because of their balanced tone. They have great bottom end (no flab) and a smooth non-spiky, sparkle to the highs. They sound great with overdrive, not harsh. It's also more of an American voiced speaker which is what I wanted.
    It's about all personal preference with speakers. None were really bad except for the Weber Neo.
    The 60W Celestion G10 Vintage speakers are a very close second but with more of a British voice, I have them mounted in a Mojo open back cab and will probably hold onto them forever.

When I mounted the chassis into the new head cab, I decided to make a reverb tank bag out of some old tolex (and duct tape!) that I had left over from an old project. Placing the tank in a bag made a HUGE diference. Hard to explain but it sounds smoother and bigger in the bag! So much that I made a tank bag for my Fender Blues Junior combo with the similar results. Who whoulda thunk a vinyl bag could make such a difference?!

Attached Files:

savofenno and Bendyha like this.
  10. Gitfiddler

Gitfiddler TDPRI Member

Very nicely done, Dog!!
    With your woodworking skills and creativity, you could make a living making cab-conversions.

savofenno likes this.
  11. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

I wish I had woodworking skills!!
    Purchased head and speaker cabs on eBay.....
    I am torn between leaving them naked with a tung oil stain or covering them in rough blonde tolex. I would think naked pine would sound more resonant than tolex covered but pine is so soft and tolex would protect better. Dunno.

12. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

IMG_1233.JPG

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Sooooo nice!!

doguitar likes this.
  14. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

New member. Picked mine up a few months ago. Upgraded speaker, tubes and some caps (I got all the original parts with it. I don't remember what year it is. I'll post again later, and some pictures. I friggin' love it by the way AND I normally play thru a Blues Jr. and a Classic 30

doguitar likes this.
  15. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to pics!

16. MichaelGP

MichaelGP TDPRI Member

New owner here. Not me playing in this video, but this is my new to me amp.

I’m pretty happy with the lead channel.

17. MChap11

MChap11 TDPRI Member

I have gone and joined the club. Picked up an 82 SC for $720 (no footswitch) a couple of months ago. Got paranoid about the 6C10 and picked up two extras. Initially found lead channel a bit harsh and reverb way too much past 3 o'clock--switched 12AT7 for 12AU7 and a noticeable difference: drive not as harsh, reverb more usable after 3 o'clock, but seems to lack in richness but not bad, not bad. Mulling over 12" cab idea but amp came with a Lil Buddy hempcone and, over all, the sound is great. Still coming to terms with the wide palate of tones available here. Wow. Found single coils a wee bit harsh, humbuckers not so much, but still learning to dial the little beast in. Great thread here and thanks for all the thoughtful commentary and modding ideas. I'd love to find a footswitch, just for grins, but the only usable after-market one I found was $125. Ouch--too steep for me. Thanks again for all the great info and I'm proud to join up. Cheers and Happy New Year!

18. Bendyha

Welcome on board MChap11.

19. MChap11

MChap11 TDPRI Member

Thanks: wish I could follow/understand a 1/10th of your treatise. Thanks.

20. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the club, you're not alone!

Would have thought that speaker would sound pretty good in that amp, maybe try another valve in V1, harsh and thin makes me think the one in there may be on the way out, check the power valves too if you can. Using a 5751 can warm things up a lot as well as reducing the overall gain, I use an old Mullard ecc83 in mine just now, it seems to smooth things out nicely as opposed to a more modern valve, well worth doing some tube rolling to see what is best for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.