1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Original Fender Super Champ Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big Tony, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Hear ye! Hear ye! Let the Original Fender Super Champ Club come to order!

The Fender Super Champ was introduced in 1982, and discontinued in 1986.
    It was designed by Paul Rivera, and the last mass produced true point-to-point wired Fender amp.

Come on, join the O.F.S.C.C.!

[​IMG]

/ Tony

2. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

I'm in. I bought this '82 about 3 years ago for $200 at a local shop. I don't play it much cause I've picked up some other amps that have been occupying my time, but when I do play it, I'm quickly reminded of how good these amps are. A small powerful package....with reverb as a bonus.

[​IMG]

3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep, love mine. It's the one I keep out by the TV & stereo for instant access.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an '83 and an '84. I run Eminence Alnico speakers in them. Fantastic amps after taking the original speakers out of them.

5. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

Not a Super Champ, but my Champ II has been my goto amp for the last couple years. I love that thing through my Reverend Alltone 1x12 ext. cab. Big Tony that collection is a thing of beauty!

KevinL818 likes this.
  6. telebluesrocker

telebluesrocker TDPRI Member

I love my dads superchamp. its totally original never hand any tubes changed, nothing at all done to it! same as the day it left the factory (exept for the reverb doesnt work). great amp perfect for practice and i have done miked gigs with it.

7. singlecoil

singlecoil Tele-Meister

Not a Superchamp but I do Have a Champ II. Right now I'm using a 10" fifty watt Red Fang in it and loving it but I normally use a 30 watt 10A125 Weber which also sounds very good in it. This my favorite all time amp which I got from Wally and will hang onto forever. Thanks again Wally and if you still have both of yours it can only mean that they are excellent amps as I've seen some impressive stuff come and go in your shop. BTW I still have the rivera era Concert I got from you, Thats what the Red Fangs are for. A friend and I have been trying some of the mods over on the gear page and we are reall close to getting it nailed. It's been a lot of fun and it's all reversabile.

8. Wally

Mark, it's good to hear from you, and I am glad you are enjoying the amps. IF I could find a Rivera-era Fender once a week, I would be happy. Besides thsoe that you have gotten, I have had a PRinceton REverb II, and it was a great amp, also, imho. I will keep the SuperChamps. I've decided that they will be my last two amps....if it ever comes to that, right..... just because of their sonic qualities and their versatility.

chiefline likes this.
  9. jman009

jman009 NEW MEMBER!

Trying to beef up the bottom end

Hey all, I've owned my Super Champ for about 15 years now.I just sold my 70's Deluxe reverb. I prefer a cleaner bottom end so I play guitar through my Bassman.I really would like to to get more lower end out of the SC but don't want to change anything permanent. How can I hook up to an ext. cab if my speaker wire(on the back of amp) is hard wired and not a jack? Anyone?

10. Jett

Jett Tele-Meister

Got this a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea how awesome these little guys are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. svasqu01

svasqu01 TDPRI Member

Super Champ

I have the Rivera designed Concert 4x10. These are all great amps. Point to Point wiring awesome tone and boy howdy,loud

12. Wally

Welcome, Jman. IF you want to run a different speaker arrangement from that amp, you will have to install a speaker jack in the chassis.
    FWIW, the original speaker in these Super Champs are very mid-rangey....no lows and no highs. I run Eminence Alnico's in mine and get great lows, sparkling highs and smoother distortion when wanted.

13. Intonator

Intonator Tele-Meister

I didn't see this thread at first, so I posted in the other SCXD thread. Don't want to double post.

Anyway, I just got mine yesterday and really like it.
    All suggested mods I see on the net reccomend a Ragin Cajun speaker ($65) and JJ tubes.

Has anyone done either of these yet and if so, with what results?
    Jim

14. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I had one,put an EV Force 10" in it.Why did I sell that one?I listen to recordings and they are great! :cry:
    It was like a Champ and a Princeton getting together and taking steroids.

15. Wally

Intonator, I have no experience with the Ragin Cajun. I use Eminence Alnico's in my SC's....great lows, great efficiency and smooth distortion when in that mode. Many people complain about the harshness of the distortion in SC amps. Alnico speakers are smoother when processing distorted signals compared to ceramic magnet speakers ime.

16. katnook

katnook TDPRI Member

Fiddling

I have been fiddling with my 83 Superchamp for the last 12 months, I did not like the EVM speaker. Went from Cannibas Rex 12" to a Weber 12F150A and am now happy enough to put it back in a 12" combo, that I am building. Currently in head form, but I have all the original combo gear saved.

Attached Files:

17. Wally

Katnook, that's a cool rig. The 'stack' look reminds me of the day I hooked one of my Super Champs up to an 8X10 Marshall cacb I had loaded with Eminence Alnico's....yeah, it was giggable with that much air moving. LOL

18. katnook

katnook TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply Wally.
    I am pretty happy with it, especially as originally, I was just fiddling with no real intent (I just did not like the EVM).
    But I think the combo, will regain the luxury of portability.
    Moving air...I have a 2X12 cab with a pair of Eminences (for a slightly different sound with my Twin) and it drives them just fine, I have to crank it a little though, as it is muddy at without a little juice.
    I will update the site with the combo pic, when completed.

19. geargasm

geargasm TDPRI Member

I have a stock '84 Super Champ that came with the crappy stock speaker, I installed a speaker jack and a Jensen Neo 10 that sounds incredible. But for low end, I run my SC into an Epiphone 1/12 loaded with a Jensen Lightning Ceramic 70watt (very Celestion like with more low end umpphh). Another really cool thing I do, when I want to use my SC for a large stage I run the line out into a Crate Powerblock head into the Epiphone cab and use BOTH speakers and dial the Powerblock for low end thump. Turns the SC into a stage monster!

20. quackerz

quackerz Tele-Afflicted

... and to go the other direction, I send the speaker out to an 8 ohm 50W resistive load then plug the speaker onto the line out (which is taken off the NFB). Instant bedroom-volume attenuation. There's nothing a Super-Champ can't do. I love my stained and rusty '84.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.