The origin of a musical style and being a total original.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Dec 6, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

This is intersting.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

That was my best try dude ! If i had thought a bit about it, i would have thought zappa ? Maybe Les paul ? but that s it . Give me a C+ for trying !

blowtorch likes this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Let s say you might want to hear weirder music, what shall i listen to ? I find this pretty interesting.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Self taught - from Wiki :

Frank Vincent Zappa (December 21, 1940 – December 4, 1993) was an American multi-instrumentalist musician, composer, and bandleader. His work is characterized by nonconformity, free-form improvisation, sound experiments, musical virtuosity, and satire of American culture. In a career spanning more than 30 years, Zappa composed rock, pop, jazz, jazz fusion, orchestral and musique concrète works, and produced almost all of the 60-plus albums that he released with his band the Mothers of Invention and as a solo artist. Zappa also directed feature-length films and music videos, and designed album covers. He is considered one of the most innovative and stylistically diverse rock musicians of his era.

As a self-taught composer and performer, Zappa's diverse musical influences led him to create music that was sometimes difficult to categorize. While in his teens, he acquired a taste for 20th-century classical modernism, African-American rhythm and blues, and doo-wop music. He began writing classical music in high school, while at the same time playing drums in rhythm and blues bands, later switching to electric guitar. His 1966 debut album with the Mothers of Invention, Freak Out!, combined songs in conventional rock and roll format with collective improvisations and studio-generated sound collages. He continued this eclectic and experimental approach, irrespective of whether the fundamental format was rock, jazz or classical.

5. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

There's guys in loincloths hunting with spears that have smartphones. I don't think anyone is so isolated to come up with a completely new original uninfluenced style. IDK. Interesting thought though. ; )

johnny k likes this.
  6. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Peter Joseph Andrew Hammill (VDGG).I know noone who can compete with his style. Arthur Wilton Brown. Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett perhaps? I would it hard to believe that any musician lived in a vacuum.We all have some basis for our musical likes

edit: Edgar Frose
    was ahead of his time too

trev333 and johnny k like this.
  7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Yeah, he did that exactly, in part anyways. He has cited the NY Dolls as an influence, and if you see live footage of how Sylvain Sylvain played rhythm in the Dolls you get an idea of where Johnny was coming from with his all downstrokes approach to guitar. But even with that my point is that Johnny didn’t just speed that style up, he removed all space from the guitar playing. Everyone before him played with some space in their rhythm approach, he deleted the spaces and did his “wall of eighth notes” thing and I don’t think anyone has done that before. It’s a small originality perhaps, but definitely an idea that (apparently) hadn’t been done before.

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

100% agree! My point is that even with the most unique and creative musicians you can typically draw a line from their influences.

Even avant garde modern composers are building upon a foundation, even if that foundation is itself built in contrast to more traditional music forms. For example, serious electronic composers have long used computer algorithms to create alternate music codes and rules as a means of experimentation.

If you want to explore some more experimental compositions here are a couple of starters:

Ex-riverman and johnny k like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Fretting out and johnny k like this.
  10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ben Harney - Ragtime (Stride Jazz). Totally original form. Scott Joplin made it famous. Still hard to think any person isn't influenced in some way by predecessors.

Hendrix played with Ike Turner.

Lots of people evolve into new or different forms. Willie and Waylon moved from traditional country to outlaw country. Red Headed Stranger was an evolutionary change for Willie.

Chick-N-Picker and johnny k like this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

pretty interesting, but i would not want to be that piano player hitting that C note for 40 mns.

Lawdawg likes this.
  12. blowtorch

And Little Richard.

13. blowtorch

lady gaga :p

really there just isn't anyone. nothing and no one exists in a vacuum

you'd have to go back to the first humanoid-resembling being clacking rocks and sticks together

Fretting out and johnny k like this.
  14. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

Let's add Burt Bacharach and Charlie Christian to the list of names up for consideration.

RoarDog and johnny k like this.
  15. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

I have a keen interest in Indian classical music. I remember when I was learning raag yaman (lydian mode with different target notes ascending and descending) it was almost counterintuitive to box myself in like that but, in a rigid self imposed rule set one might find some unique perhaps entirely new sounds.

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Little richard appears to me as one of a kind. there were probably hollers beofre him, but not while doing the dishes !

Rowdyman likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

One real original is the Greek composer Xenakis. His music owes as much to architecture and mathematics as anything else.

Ex-riverman and johnny k like this.
  18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

. . .and the Isley Brothers.

19. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Can you please post a ling to peter joseph andrew hammil please ?

20. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

How did they even got an orchestra to play that ? Now that s weird.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.