1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The one guitarist that most influenced your playing style

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 29, 2020.

1. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

Like everyone, an amalgam of different people - my dad, my older brother (with whom I played in an all-originals band for three years in Boston), George Harrison, Clapton, Hubert Sumlin, lately Robben Ford.

But the one guy, above all of them, always was and is Stephen Stills. Something about Stills has always just ... rung my chimes, from the time that Buffalo Springfield were on the radio. That combination of his voice and his playing ... that acoustic guitar, those electric guitar licks that are all from trying to play an acoustic as loudly as possible ... that's my alpha and omega as a guitar player. Can't escape it. If you're familiar with his playing, and you listen closely to my playing, you can probably hear the influence. If not, not.

But I was and am mostly a bass player, and while Stills played a lot of bass, he didn't influence that. There it was McCartney, The. End.

Also, great to see some love for Jerry Miller. He's *fantastic*.

2. houseofnine

houseofnine TDPRI Member

Love copying Mark Knopfler’s style and phrasing, but my sound is more J Mascis if I’m honest...

3. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

The Edge is the one for me. I just never could wring those blues or shred licks out of my guitar, still can't. And to be honest, other then for riffs the blues scale holds no interest for me anymore. I usually avoid it like the plague. But coming across U2 in the 80's was like a revelation, his leads and guitar playing sounded so fresh and original back then. And also like I don't have to play the blues scale, or shred in 50 different modes. Mind blown. I also dug his use of effects. And that was before he got crazy with them in the 90's, which I liked even more. For so long it was always my dream to marry Edge's simple tasty licks and delays with Tony Iommy's heavy riffs and walls of guitar chords, as he was my other guitar crush. And then the 90's happened with Rage Against the Machine......

4. Alquaal

Alquaal NEW MEMBER!

I can't really put a finger on one that influenced my style. EVH made me pick up the guitar. SRV kicked me down the blues path. Then there was an acoustic 70's singer songwriter phase. Now I just realized I sound a lot like Buddy Guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I was never that familiar with his playing.

5. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

For bass, Chris Squire, and Sir Paul. Guitar was Phil Keaggy, and also Jimmie Page, and also later Jeff Beck, and all that stuff in Steely Dan songs I didn't know was various people, so Larry Carleton, but that was not flash and style but tastefulness and integration with the song, so David Gilmour. And easily recalled, that one attempt at a blues riff my dad would pull out on this guitar; speaks volumes. Somewhere in the '40's, somewhere in Bucks County, PA. Dad, BW.jpg

LGOberean likes this.
  6. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

The one guy who started me reaching for the unreachable: Danny Gatton.
    There have been many others, SRV, Morse, Beck, Reed, Campbell, Setzer, Clark, Johnson, Chet & Mark K., etc.
    But when I first heard Danny Gatton, it all came into focus.
    I'll be working on his techniques till I die.
    -az-

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Joe Walsh, James Gang era.

His broad range of dynamics and goofy sense of humor always appealed to me.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Mark Knopfler- I even gave up paying with a pick ( learning how to now but my Maestro friend says stick with my fingernails).
    Ry Cooder also.

9. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

EC in the early years, and Robben Ford now. I just love his phrasing and tone.

Thats what's so great about playing guitar- we all have so many influences, many that have molded our individual style. And how many of us have been to some obscure place out of town, out to dinner with the wife, and seeing an unknown guitar player that blows us away...thank God I always kept playing, even though my learning curve has been stuck in the same arena for years!

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We're doing this again?

For anyone playing mostly rock n roll-derived stuff:

It's Chuck Berry, all of you, and you're not being honest if you say otherwise

Fiesta Red, dlew919 and ricknbaker like this.
  11. AC4TV

AC4TV TDPRI Member

Bernard Butler for me, no one plays quite like him, but I do a substandard impression.

12. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Terry Kath (and therefore everyone who influenced HIM)...

13. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

There is no one person. It was a combined effort of a bunch of players over more than 50 years, during which I sometimes didn't know who I was listening to on the radio.

14. cjp60

cjp60 Tele-Meister

Billy Gibbons!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

It's not so much their playing but interviews I read on two players. First was Richie Blackmore were he he said in an interview 40 some years ago, he did a lot of research on his playing style, he stole from everyone. Second was Keith Richards, he said in an interview about 40 years ago it wasn't so important to know exactly what to play all the time but to know when not to play.

16. Wiley

Wiley TDPRI Member

Clarence White

17. DChrls

DChrls TDPRI Member

The instructors in the Guitar DVD's I have. No one has influenced my playing more than them.

One of my favorite famous players is David Gilmour. Also like Steve Howe, Steve Hackket, Steve Morse and SRV. Those Steve's can play some guitar!

18. rlsdallas

rlsdallas NEW MEMBER!

OK, I'll be weird. I'm a folk music lover, so Joan Baez and John Denver (loved that 12 string). Later, Willie and Chet have been major influences, but they are way over my head.

19. BlueTele

BlueTele Tele-Meister

Nearly a tie between Clapton and Beck. Clapton with the Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, and Derek and the Domino's just had more radio play for his songs. But Jeff Beck was/is a "guitar players, guitar player." I learned more technique and artistic interpretation of what a guitar can be from Jeff Beck. That said, I still have more Clapton-style riffs, phrases, and runs in my bag than Jeff Beck...oddly enough. A close third place: Dickey Betts.

20. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

James truly helped me find my voice as a Telecaster guy through his work with Elvis. I worked with a tremendous Elvis impersonator in the early 80’s, traveling the country and having a BLAST! I was primarily a Dickie/Duane, Doc Watson, Chet kinda guy up to that point. James really opened the door to a whole new world for me, and I’ve never looked back!

rjtwangs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.