The one guitarist that most influenced your playing style

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 29, 2020.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

It was a process for me. Duane & Dickie, Toy Cauldwell, the Kings, Doc W, T. Rice, Lowell G, Ry Cooder, and many more. But over all, for the longest period of time until this day and probably till I can’t play no more, it’s Jerry Garcia hands down.

Sounds Good, Texicaster and Denton like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

In terms of who I sound closest to its Clapton. (But I’m getting some soul guys slip in which is great. And maybe some Nashville cats.). But I think Clapton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Funny you should mention Croce. As I was drafting my OP, the line "I carry it with me like my daddy did" kept running through my mind. After I posted this, I checked in on Facebook before sitting down to supper with my wife. And on my Facebook newsfeed a friend (both Facebook and real world; we went to the same high school) had just posted a video of...you guessed it, "I Got a Name." :eek::)

elihu likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Page

5. LGOberean

You couldn't just play by the rules. You had to sneak in EC, din'cha?!? :twisted:

Jerry_Mountains and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Neil Young is the one.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

A friend and bandleader named TG.

He taught me a lot of useful intangibles, but the most practical things he ever told me were these: 1) on the fretting hand, "most stuff is built around the index finger," and 2) "all your passion is in the right hand."

And he really said, "no matter what, keep smiling, boys! Keep smiling!"

Love that guy.

elihu likes this.
  8. LGOberean

It's a common story/influence. I've heard lots of people credit their older brothers. It made me think of my older brother. I rarely think of him with a guitar, because it never took with him. I can't remember if he tried much before me, but when I was practicing hours every day he tried, or tried again, but never learned more than a couple of chords. But he was an artist; his art was...art. He chose it as a career path, and has made his living for nearly 50 years as a commercial artist. He was always sketching things when he was a boy: copying Saturday morning cartoons, you name it.

Funny story about that. He's 17 months older than me, and for more than 6 years we had no other siblings. When I was very young I thought he knew everything in the world. And he played that to the hilt. And so as young boys curious about little girls, he explained to me that girls also had a penis...they just also had a slot to keep it in! He then proceeded to draw a sketch of female anatomy as he envisioned it in his mind! Of course, I believed him!

So in older to younger sibling dynamics, he basically was a Lucy to my Linus. (Bonus points for those that get that Peanuts reference.)

9. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, I listed five players in the other thread but since then I have really tried to think about it and see if I could determine which player influenced my playing style the most.

I remember hearing when I was a kid an instrumental version of “Love is Strange” on one of my dad’s albums and I remember loving the sound of that lick at the end of the chorus. The next major guitar playing I took notice of was the Beatles’ versions of “Roll Over Beethoven,” “Slow Down,” “Dizzy Miss Lizzy,” and their other other rock and roll covers. I remember really digging the guitar on those songs. Their original, “She’s a Woman” had about the coolest guitar solo I’d ever heard and it really made me want to learn that kind of playing.

I then lived through the “Guitar God” era and was influenced by Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc... I always liked different sounding soloing so stuff like Wishbone Ash, Status Quo, Jethro Tull, CSNY, CCR, Ted Nugent and other well known guitarists were special to me. The guy from Moby Grape, Jerry Miller, was a heavy influence back in those days. So were Joe Walsh and Terry Kath. Just about anybody who was a great player on a record got my attention and I usually tried to learn some part of their playing all the time. Another guy I copied in the old days was Caleb Quaye from Hookfoot. Great tone and just different sounding licks.

Married life and family kept me at the same playing level for a few decades. I joined a popular rock band in Allentown, PA back in ‘91 and was influenced by Jim Babjak of the Smithereens and Mike Ness from Social Distortion but shortly after that band broke up I got heavily into the new country, especially recordings featuring, as I would come to learn, Brent Mason. I learned a bunch of his solos verbatim and I purchased a Telecaster and a Jerry Donahue VHS lesson tape, learned hybrid picking, played in a country band and all I played for a few years was Chicken pickin’ type country stuff.

In conclusion, although I play many styles now and lately I have been digging Robben Ford a LOT, the one player who has influenced the way I play guitar NOW, no matter the genre, is the aforementioned Mr. Mason. I tend to hybrid pick almost everything and even lick wise I throw a lot of his stuff in my solos.

I guess that is it.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Nope, I thought and tried and can't narrow it to one. My playing is a hodgepodge of what I heard during my learning/formative years and afterwards the guitarists I was drawn to imitating/emulating.
    No one in my family was musical and played anything until after me, so I can't even claim that. :(

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I feel I was influenced by every guitarist I heard from about 1962 on, but especially the Brit Invasion players....but if I was being tortured and had to name JUST ONE MAJOR INFLUENCE......it would have to be Robbie Krieger of the Doors.

12. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Bill Connors. From Return to forever / Hymn of the 7th Galaxy. Mind blowing for me. RTF went to Dimeola after that album. I liked DiMeola… but I LOVED Bill Connors. That Album put a guitar in my hand for the rest of my life.

13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I would have to narrow it to two. Early on (1965) it was Jerry McGee's finger picking with the Ventures, and much later my discovery of Stewart Smith (1983) working with Rosann Cash and Rodney Crowell.

14. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I don’t have a style yet

15. LGOberean

Thinking of Dad and talking about influences got me to thinking about Dad’s influences.

It was a different time, before television. And he grew up in a farming community of just a couple of hundred people or so, south of Ft. Worth. The nearest town was a booming metropolis with a population of about 1,500. My Granddad (his father) had an upright Victrola record cabinet with the crank handle on the side, and they had some 78s, so I’m guessing Dad listened to records that way. (The old farm house burned down in the ‘80s, and lots of treasures, including that old Victrola, were lost.)

But Dad grew up in a musical family, so they were his earliest and principal influences. His dad and uncle played guitar and banjo, respectively. At 14, my Dad took up the guitar (and later, the banjo), and his twin brother played both guitar and mandolin.

Besides family, I don’t exactly know who Dad’s influences were on guitar. I’m guessing listening to the radio. I know he was a big fan of Chet Atkins, but Chet was just 8 years and 1 day older than my Dad. I think Chet was playing on the Grand Ol’ Opry around the time that Dad took up the guitar himself, so maybe there was some influence there before Mr. Atkins had commercial success with his records for RCA. But Gallopin’ Guitar was released the year I was born, so in terms of formative influence on my father, Chet’s records came a bit late. Not that Dad didn’t listen to ‘em, and I distinctly remember Dad playing “Third Man Theme.”

Another guitarist I remember Dad listening to was Joe Pass. But again, Pass was just a few years younger than my father, and his recording career didn't get going until the early '60s. So again, a bit late to be a formative influence on Dad.

16. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

Probably, James Williamson. He had it all. Brash chord chugging, heavy riffs, nice arpeggiated lines like gimme danger- and he helped compose memorable songs.

17. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

James Burton

RJ

JohnnyGringo, elihu and LGOberean like this.
  18. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m a rhythm player at heart. I’m perfectly content with playing one or two solos a night.

Keith Richards has been my guy since the day I started, back in ‘88.

Jerry_Mountains and Fiesta Red like this.
  19. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pete Townshend. I wanted to play since I was 6 and was really into The Beatles and Cheap Trick and a handed down greatest hits Cream album in pre/early teen years. But it was when I was 13 in ‘81 and discovered Pete and The Who that I went “yep, I’m doing this!”.

His rhythmic style was a major influence on me and think that it was, as a kid starting out, beneficial. I spent a lot of time sitting on my bed in front of the stereo trying to play along with record, banging away on my ultra cheap acoustic. It definitely helped me solidify my rhythm playing.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Rhythm—Keith Richards
    Lead—Jimmie Vaughan
    Slide—Muddy Waters

if you twist my arm and say, “ONLY ONE!”, it would have to be Jimmie Vaughan, because influenced my rhythm playing, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.