The older I get the cleaner I like my sounds...why?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NeckP90, Mar 27, 2020.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

at a certain point I think we just plug into an amp and start playing.

2. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Because your hearing has deteriorated and for men, the high end goes first. What you are hearing now is not the same as how you heard the very same tones 20 years ago. More high end sounds betyter because we hear it less well, and it's where sound really gets articulated.

3. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

My father told me "Clean and Clear." And I have stuck with it.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, no.

After 40 years I still love to hear the amp melting down, still love to violently assault the silence.

Clean is great too, always was, no more attractive now than then though.

-Hawk- and radiocaster like this.
  5. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

60, new electric player, acoustic for a decade, definitely lean towards full clean, just a little of an edge on some tunes.

Tim Buktu, Jlwctn and brookdalebill like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

My tone has always been whatever I thought best suited the song. Amps and guitars have knobs, and we each have our right hand, for a reason. I've always used clean, dirty, and in between.

My go to for playing alone is typically no pedals, single speaker lower wattage combo, set so that my right hand can go from clean to crunchy with a change in force. I don't often, and never really have, tended to live in the high distortion zone (unless called for in a particular part).

I also have noticed that getting older doesn't equal getting better. I actually was very good in my approx. 20–25 year age range, because I played a whole lot, played all kinds of styles, all kinds of instruments (including a whole lot of acoustic guitar, which I hardly play at all any more), and really had a passion/appetite for doing it all the time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    aging_rocker likes this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Malcolm young is surprisingly clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mpassell

mpassell TDPRI Member

I’ve always started with a full clean tone because I was a rhythm player in my youth primarily so I could play with better musicians. I need to hear the pitch and too much distortion makes it more difficult. I learned that getting sustain was in my hands and with the help of a small Tweed DeLuxe I found the perfect median.

9. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Band name alert!!!! "Hooked On Filth"

aging_rocker and Jackroadkill like this.
  10. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

Young guitar owners lean on distortion because they can't play cleanly. They cover themselves up with a pedal board full of audio makeup because underneath they are ugly. They know it, we know it. All that stuff is crap.

11. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I’ve always been a clean player. But I’ll add a little dirt if I feel the song requires it.

12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm the same as I've always been, and I'm 65, and have been playing seriously since the age of 14. I've always preferred a lot of sustain with a minimum of dirt, a bluesy Stratty tone with a little delay. But, a smooth sustained fuzz ala American Woman or similar is super cool too. I'm just not into raspy buzzsaw distortion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
  13. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Meister

When I discovered tubes, clean was in! You can't beat a nice tube tone with some reverb and a touch of delay.

I assembled a small pedal board with a ditto, delay, mini wah, blues driver, and a phaser/chorus pedal, but tend to use the pedals sparingly, and mostly for soloing.

Fingerpicking clean with chorus/flanger sounds beautiful. I saw Victor Wooten's pedal board and realized that he rarely uses them. I think they are great but having fun with them and relying on them are two separate things.

I can't listen to guitar with more overdrive than say a Hendrix, Trower, Clapton or SRV. Anything above that is tacky and unlistenable... for me at least. They made music and expressed musical ideas with tools at their disposal.. The high gain/OD that morphed into metal has no tonal qualities, and makes all instruments sound identical.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. OneWatt

OneWatt TDPRI Member

As we age, we acquire taste for the finer things. Enjoy! :cool:

Paulie_Boy and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Paulie, I don't mean to "stir the pot" with this followup, but I had a somewhat related thought just last week when I was watching a recent video of Brian May playing an instrumental piece (he may have been sort of composing it on the spot) from his residence, for the enjoyment of those who might be staying home more than usual these days. Please don't get me wrong, because I admire Brian greatly, and this isn't intended to be critical of him (I'm the LAST person who should be critical of ANYONE), and it was very nice of him to share that impromptu number... but as I was watching it, I noticed that he had his amp level quite low, with pretty heavy distortion, but the overall volume level was being kept low enough so that, even though you could hear that big distortion-saturated sound, you could actually still hear the "acoustic" sound of his electric guitar, the same as if he were sitting there playing without an amp (with no pick, in this instance), with his index fingernail audibly clicking against the strings; and as I focused on that acoustic sound, the thought occurred to me, "Wow, if you took the amp and the distortion out of the equation, this would pretty much sound like any ordinary guy or girl sitting on the edge of their bed practicing their electric guitar without an amp, i.e., very decent but not what you'd call fantastic..." And my conclusion wasn't that Brian's standing was somehow diminished in my eyes, but rather that we often do rely on "gadgets" (as my Mom might've said) to a fairly large extent in shaping our electric guitar sound. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because the effective use of gadgetry in the context of particular songs and styles is an art form in itself; and I know that Brian May, for instance, is more than capable of playing cleanly when the situation calls for it. Maybe the point is, once again, that "it's all good!!"

16. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

When I listen to music it’s always in the car or on my hikes, and it’s usually rock n roll, but when I plug in it’s blues, surf, jazz, pop instrumentals all played clean... weird dichotomy... You’d think I’d be more interested in playing my main genre....

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Cleans! - Just like the ancient relatives - who cursed us when we were teens - I don't like loud distorted guitar sounds these days much. For years it was SG Junior, big amp and 4x12 - a real racket from a vintage P90 but now??? Got six telecasters - Fender amps and clones - a bit of crunch but that's it! Yep! Gotta admit it! I done got old!

black_doug likes this.
  18. NeckP90

NeckP90 Tele-Meister

I find the theories about this change in taste being due to hearing deterioration as we age interesting. But surely, as we lose the higher frequencies, cleaner sounds become duller in theory and therefore less pleasant potentially? Whereas dirtier sounds have more harmonics and should therefore, perhaps, be more attractive rather than less? Fascinating!

19. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I also find I like warmer cleans. Necks and bridge neck combos ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  20. Blue Ass Fly

Blue Ass Fly TDPRI Member

I put it down to better gear
    When i started playing it was a cheap tele copy through a transistor amp
    My mates had different cheap guitars and we all sounded pretty much the same, didnt really sound like anything so we piled on drive and distortion
    Then i heard a vintage tele and a sg junior through a class a valve amp and was hooked
    Was amazed at how clean it can sound and then just digging in harder the sound changes

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.