The ol debate Timmy or Barber LTD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hellowalls, Mar 25, 2014.

1. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

No offense, but it's posts like this that confuse people about the EQ knobs on the Timmy. Turning the EQ knobs all the way left is not an unaffected tone - Paul himself says to start the knobs at noon and adjust as necessary. You're confusing their "cut" functionality with thinking that turning them all the way left must mean flat EQ with your amp and that's not true.

2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Really? Gee, I guess the instruction sheet that came with my Timmy pedal provided by Paul Cochrane is wrong then.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^I agree with this. The fizz of my Timmy really surprised me. I spent more time tweaking than I did playing.

I couldn't dial a bad sound with my Barber Half Gainer or LTD......I found the Barber pedals to be transparent-ish and far more organic.

Just my opinion & taste. I would go Barber.

4. SeaFoam

SeaFoam NEW MEMBER!

I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it. Hmm, I think you might inadvertently be adding to the confusion. In the PDF that comes with the Timmy, Paul writes:

As for the fizziness that some people experience, it's very easy to dial out the fizz with the treble cut knob. It is true, though, that if you crank the gain and don't dial out the treble, the pedal could sound fizzy.

Here's a link to a manual. It's the version with the internal toggle switches -- the newer Timmy has an external toggle. Still, the EQ controls work the same way on both versions of the pedal. In fact, Paul C objects to people even referring to different versions of the Timmy. On another forum he wrote:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Danelectro CTO-1

I hear no fizz

$40 used

Same

6. howlback

howlback Tele-Meister

I own a couple of each pedal. I play a tele into a BF Princeton. Those pedals are often compared because their range of overdrive is similar but they each have their own unique feel. It's been said that the LTD SR has a compressing characteristic that the Timmy does not. This I agree with but it certainly isn't a bad thing. I highly recommend getting your hands on each and A/Bing into your Princeton. They sound terrific going into those amps.

Also, the single knob tone control on the LTD SR is pretty slick.

7. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

The easy fix to eliminating the fizz is to swap out the socketed opamp chip with something else... iirc a TL072 works.

8. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I have a Tim + a Timmy clone and used to own a Barber 1/2-gainer which is a tricked out LTD with two channels.

To me the Tim/Timmy sounds sweeter and more gradual. The Barber was grainer and I never bonded with it.

The Tim is a mainstay on my board and works especially well with my Deluxe 2, less so with an AC15 clone with Celestion Blue.

9. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Timmy is great for a boost, but the Barber LTD is the ticket for the type of music you described.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.