The Officially Unofficial Barbrainy Memorial Build Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by kwerk, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

That is stunning Sara. I really like both the raw look of the wood but also the I really like that tree of life art piece you have added. Thats stunning.

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Absolutely beautiful Sara!

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A board edge that still has the bark on it is known as a "live edge". I like that notion for artwork that helps keep Andy's memory alive. Beautiful work, Sara, and I'm glad you took Phil's suggestion, I like being able to find you here.

kwerk likes this.
  4. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I'm liking that piece of art! Fun to see! Aug 1 right!?!....

5. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Anytime you like. :)

6. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys, a little late to the party here, I had a super crazy week. I love this idea.

I have to figure out what I can do, because I'm currently in the process of packing up my shop because we're going to move. Only 3/4 of a mile, but it might as well be a thousand because the new place won't have any shop at all until I get one built. The good and the bad of that is that I can pretty much get it exactly the design I want, but it will likely be a year before I can actually get it up and running.

So I was thinking - how could I participate given all that. Then it hit me: I have at least two challenge guitars that really need a refinish. For me, the finish has always been what suffered in the challenge because of the limited time frame. I've used urethane on my last few, and it's been a dream to work with and much faster besides. So I'm thinking that my "build" might just be a collection of 2 or 3 refin's all in one thread. A little bit of rework, but mostly just finish.

Somehow, I think that will fit right in, don't you? Especially since the two I know I have to refinish are not simple finishes, so they might have to be done a couple of times.

I probably can't start that in earnest for a couple of weeks until we actually get into the next place, but since this isn't about the timing, I think I will have to do this. What do you think?

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Since the guitar thing is getting covered pretty well, I'm thinking maybe I'll build a pedal. It'd be a first for me, and seeing as how that's how beeb got into modding, it might be fitting...

Maybe a fuzz?

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Next week is going to be a challenging one - I'm not starting yet - ETA 8/6ish. Still working on an artistic theme for my thread: I'll come up with something... Most of the build themes were literary based - Melville, I had sort of an anti Robert Pirsig theme...

I have a massive Sequoia being removed from my yard on 8/2 - it's about 5' in diameter and it's only about 15' from the side of my house... too bad I can't find a way to salvage or even sell some of the wood, but it's so huge and there is going to be many truck loads of it... that there is no way to get it out except in small sections, hauled up the hill my house is built on; that is without removing my my house to get the tree out... Plus my 2nd to youngest daughter is headed to college in the fall and I'm thinking of the little kids books I used to read to her - nearly the same ones every night... I also have a lot of work to do to finish the electrical and get my tools set up - this seems to be the literary theme my mind is wandering towards...

[​IMG]

I did a few long playing sessions this weekend and I think I have the design ideas that I'm likely to goo with:
    Nothing seemingly too different than my unfinished 2015 challenge '61 SG build, but I'll likely make some minor design improvements and tweak my jigs along the way.

Wood: I do want to try to balance out the neck (made out of a lighter Khaya) a bit by using a heavy body wood (White Ash or maybe Sugar Maple). Khaya is an awesome neck wood, but is a little heavy. Last year I tried to balance the neck by using heavier Khaya for the body - I may do the same I have a few different species of Khaya in my boards. I also have a salvaged maple butcher's block countertop from a kitchen remodel earlier this year - that wood is clearly heavy enough - I may just use that. Could be cathartic given how difficult my kitchen remodel was.

Pickups: Not sure yet: P90's are appealing, but my ear is wanting more of a humbucker A5/42g tone. I have to try A2 magnets in my 41g humbuckers, that might be a good tone to go with.

Fretboard - could be Pau Ferro but I'm looking at the Rosewood I have: I'll repeat what I did last year with the markers - skinny Aluminum rod.

Neck will be a 25.5" scale, 2 degree tilt, with a decent head angle - not quite to Gibson specs - but not too far off. Looking at what I did on my 2015 former challenge build I will likely not change too much on the neck.

Controls - I really want a volume control that is as well positioned as a Strat's for volume swells: But, this is kind of a secondary objective.

Finish - not sure yet

kwerk and Mbechmann like this.
  9. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely - I think I've made 20 Fuzz faces over the years - by far one of the most useful pedals. I absolutely love the Germanium transistor based ones (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_sc_b69.pdf). I have one that is made from some super old Si transistors (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_sc_b70.pdf) that I use as a preamp; in front of a Princeton it really fills out the low end and gives it some growl.

But, cranking it up is pretty amazing... on of those pedals that I can leave on for hours and find myself playing at super low settings through a very clean amp setting and just using it to beef up a Strat.

But there are a lot of great Fuzz designs out there - then there's stuff like the Ty Octav that kind of takes the whole idea off a cliff to a really funky place.

Barncaster and Mbechmann like this.
  10. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hmm... I may throw a pedal build into my mish-mash of projects, too!

Mbechmann likes this.
  11. kwerk

OK, here's the tribute decal. Nice and simple.

[​IMG]

Remember, there's no obligation to include this on your build. On mine, I'll be putting it on the back of the headstock, but it's entirely up to you if and where you use it. Its canvas size as downloaded is 4.0" x 1.3", but again, it's vectorised so you can resize to your hearts' content.

I thought it might be nice to add a Brainy quote, either by adding it in a suitable program or handwriting it. This of course is entirely up to you.

[​IMG]

You can download it here.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/07/25/brainy-decal-1/

Note: If you downloaded this earlier, please check the dates and download again. I stupidly put the year down as 1971, not 1975.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    DrASATele and Mbechmann like this.
  12. GracefulBrick

GracefulBrick Tele-Meister

1975!!! :D He was 41 when he died xx I may have sent you the wrong info, math isn't my strong point. Ive got the dates on his memorial and will confirm. 13 May 1975 - 9 May 2016 made him 41. I think.

Oh: Did Andy ever show you his pedals? He had nine billion.

Thank you for all your positive comments on the tree. :)

13. GracefulBrick

GracefulBrick Tele-Meister

I forgot to quote you in my previous reply oops!! And thank you SO SO SO SO SO much for doing this. X

Mbechmann likes this.
  14. kwerk

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  15. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

kwerk likes this.
  16. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice job on that decal. However, I think I'll use just the logo as a subtle reminder for myself... I was also thinking back of headstock.

Well, that settles it... If Andy had nine billion pedals, I have to do the pedal build! Will probably do something simple like a Bazz Fuss. I think I have all the parts...

kwerk, GracefulBrick and Mbechmann like this.
  17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, so your gonna be like that then o_O game on... sounds great...what you making yours from? I'm thinking ASH like brainy used but hollow, maybe even a little roasted! Have to study his thread :cool:

Captain Nutslot and Mbechmann like this.
  18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sara - that looks amazing

Phil - Dude, like I said, you rock.

I guess I need to get my wood and tools ready :D

kwerk, GracefulBrick and Mbechmann like this.
  19. teletubby25

teletubby25 Tele-Meister

Sara, that looks beautiful!

GracefulBrick and Mbechmann like this.
  20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've got a project that went off the rails about this time last year that I've decided to go a completely different direction on... so this tribute thread might just be the best way for me to find the motivation to move forward (at a snail's pace).

Details will follow at some point in time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.