The Officially Unofficial Barbrainy Memorial Build Thread

Mojotron

Poster Extraordinaire
You could drag the log into the water then anchor it under the bridge so jumping off the bridge isn't so much fun any more! Maybe they'd go away then. Or float the log to a sawmill and use the wood to make a gate across the bridge.

Lovely place you have. I love the Pac Northwest.
Thanks! Yep, the PNW is a beautiful place - great place if one is OK with the rain. In past years the community has let the kids be kids... I'm wondering if the instigaters will move on or be taken care of by some dawinian event - they seem to be thrill seeking - time will tell. We have not had to call the police in a few weeks. And the economy is picking up, so long term maybe it all goes back to the way it was 5-6 years ago.

The scale of that log really prevents doing anything with it without paying a lot of money to someone and then drying out some very big boards... Hauling it down to the water would take out the bulkhead, we've already done the math on that.

I just want to get to building guitars in the next week or so, I should be making some blanks today out of some massive Douglas fire beams todat.

Barncaster

Doctor of Teleocity
LOL Rick! That sounds like the old cinder block in the leaf pile in the street to deter hoodlums from driving through your neatly raked leaf piles at high rates of speed. Makes a great sound too! Brilliant!

Captain Nutslot

Friend of Leo's
Wrap it up and go watch the olympics!

image.jpeg

GracefulBrick

Tele-Meister
Thanks for all the oil advice and, as always, thank you for showing me your wood. It is one of the many pleasures of being a woman on the internet and you have not disappointed me.

The wood question...... it is Black Limba. Someone guessed that I think, so here you go you get a free imaginary cookie as a prize!!! ( )

I remember using shellac on a test guitar body with andy and it was awful. All melty and horrible. I've used my paint pends on tru oil before with good results, but I don't remember all of our other experiments. He kept that information in his head as it was his job. So I'm going to re-experiment. I bought a cheap piece of pine shelving, and have a piece of elm I'm sacrificing. (and then I'll sand it back) - I'm going to treat sections of each with boiled linseed oil, generic clear varnish from homebase, acrylic spray, some other kind of oil that I forget... and I already know I can use gesso and things but they do nothing for showing the figuring. Ideally I don't want any tint or colouring. Saying that, i love tru oil. I wonder if I could possibly be more vague. IT IS 4AM.

I shall read the link to the expert advice on wood finishes soon! Merci beaucoup x

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thanks for all the oil advice and, as always, thank you for showing me your wood. It is one of the many pleasures of being a woman on the internet and you have not disappointed me.

The wood question...... it is Black Limba. Someone guessed that I think, so here you go you get a free imaginary cookie as a prize!!! ( )

I remember using shellac on a test guitar body with andy and it was awful. All melty and horrible. I've used my paint pends on tru oil before with good results, but I don't remember all of our other experiments. He kept that information in his head as it was his job. So I'm going to re-experiment. I bought a cheap piece of pine shelving, and have a piece of elm I'm sacrificing. (and then I'll sand it back) - I'm going to treat sections of each with boiled linseed oil, generic clear varnish from homebase, acrylic spray, some other kind of oil that I forget... and I already know I can use gesso and things but they do nothing for showing the figuring. Ideally I don't want any tint or colouring. Saying that, i love tru oil. I wonder if I could possibly be more vague. IT IS 4AM.

I shall read the link to the expert advice on wood finishes soon! Merci beaucoup x

Didn't look very black to me. [pout] That's not fair! I wanted the cookie.

Loved the BLO GIF you put up on Instagram. It's one of those mesmerizing ones--you just watch the figure in the wood magically appear as the brush goes over it, then--it all happens again. And again.

GracefulBrick

Tele-Meister
Didn't look very black to me. [pout] That's not fair! I wanted the cookie.

Loved the BLO GIF you put up on Instagram. It's one of those mesmerizing ones--you just watch the figure in the wood magically appear as the brush goes over it, then--it all happens again. And again.

You can have an imaginary cookie JUST BECAUSE I LIKE YOU.
I'm using ALL CAPS an awful lot at the moment but IT IS AN UNREASONABLE TIME IN THE MORNING.
Also: yes on the video. It's mesmerising isn't it!? Would be a good sort of Mindfulness gif or something

mojz

Tele-Meister
dont know if being uk based you did the same as me,ive just tried shellac for the first time and used the liberon french polish "only contains pure shellac" thick as treacle and discolours the wood horribly goes on better if thinned but still stains pine to a walnut colour,i may try it again but next time ill get the blonde flakes and make my own.

Meteorman

Tele-Afflicted
Don't give up on shellac! It rewards the faithful...
So nice to have you here.
Rex

^^^^ this ^^^^.
i was once a shellac basher - my poor attitude came from using thick, store-bought canned stuff- probably old.
Then i listened to the pros... a couple simple rules:
Mix your own fresh stuff from flakes & DNA, between 1# AND 2# cut.
Don't go back and overbrush or overswipe while still wet (a 5 minute window at most)- any issues can be easily fixed next application.
Now shellac is one of my favorites - very forgiving, very versatile.
Try it you'll like it !
/mm

2blue2

Friend of Leo's

jamesr58

Tele-Meister
Ok! I've shucked my aversion to posting anything on the interwebs and am ready to put in some hard time honoring the memory of Brainy. I will keep a stiff lip at all times and attempt to complete and possibly re-finish at least one incomplete project build in the prescribed period of competition. I will also fling innuendo, kinks, low humor with reckless abandon and promise to maintain the high standards of camaraderie, team wood-working, polishing and rod stuffing this site is world famous for. Gentle-persons I humbly fling my in-complete and unrefinished collection of projects in your general direction. Observe the carnage on this thread http://www.tdpri.com/threads/unoffi...ple-of-in-completion-memorial-build-s.658713/