The North Face Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

ok. Now tell us what we should wear when it's cold outside. please

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    [​IMG]

3. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

:lol:

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Don't mock.

Larry's faux rationalisation of his uncoolness, makes his mockery of those who mock him Fauxer.

I think ... :confused:

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Marmot seemed to come in with serious stuff after North Face went yuppie, and yes, Chouinard was awesome gear until Patagonia bought it.

6. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I don't give a rodent's behind what name is on any of my outdoor gear as long as it works. Yes, when the stuff goes yuppie the quality often goes down, but the same could be said for _all_ mass produced clothing these days. Anybody notice how poor Sorel or Lacrosse boots are compared to what they were a couple decades ago?

And speaking as someone who works in winter conditions that often plunge into the -30's, Polar Fleece, no matter who makes the stuff, rocks!

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's the way of the world really. Any company that wants to remain successfully in business needs to branch out to as many markets as they can.

My wife's cousin owns the Helly Hansen line in Canada. The bulk of their sales now is "leisure wear" manufactured in China and Vietnam. The (substantial) income they get from this means they can continue making clothes for commercial fishermen, oil rig workers and rescue services.

Anyone remember when Barbour just sold clothes to English farmers and fly fishermen? Not any more. Or when Orvis just sold fly rods and Abercrombie and Fitch sold high quality shotguns? North Face, Patagonia, etc are just the same. I also see Cathcart canvas jackets on a lot of Wall Streeters these days. :eek:

As long as the clothes are high quality and work well, I don't care what's on the label.

8. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

A bigger, more intriguing question is:

Why do people wear big heavy winter coats without sleeves?

9. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Well according to a recent thread, it's less restrictive on arm movements. Honestly, I've never felt like my movement was restricted by sleeves.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Exactly.

What I don't understand is why other people seem to care what I wear. Am I supposed to care that North Face is now a mass-produced brand and that people other than mountain climbers are wearing their product? Am I supposed to give a damn about what some of you think about my clothes?

Some folks in here seriously need to get over themselves and let other people live their lives and buy whatever they want.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As long as it's from MEC, of course.

12. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

No joke...I once saw a guy wearing a big winter coat AND CARGO SHORTS!

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And flip-flops? And you didn't introduce yourself to a fellow TDPRIer?

14. Justinvs

I see that all the time, usually with high school kids. Middle of a Montana winter and these guys are wearing shorts.

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, yeah. I mean, we gotta have some social standards, right? :D

16. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

Most of my cold weather clothes and outerwear is from Land's End. They have been consistently good for the 30 years I have been wearing them, quietly making quality products.

17. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Trendy North Face couple.

Attached Files:

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just picked some names out of the air from decades back, hoping they were mostly still in business. Like I said, not much attention to the labels (except no made in china). I mean, I've got to know what size it is, and the cleaning instructions (don't wanna ruin the moisture barrier) but otherwise one label is just like another. In part because so little of the stuff is still made by the crews that first developed the products - the manufacture is farmed out.

Yeah, Yves had Patagonia and he sold it. I think Chouinard (which he developed later) was supposed to be just climbing pieces but that's a dangerous subset of the market since every accident prone person (or the representative of their estate) wants to nail you.

In kayaking we've been spared somewhat from outsourcing. The demand is just actual kayakers best I can tell and it is too small a market to benefit from shipping the construction overseas then back. Seems like, if you see someone with a PFD, a rash guard, a spray skirt or an overshirt, they're probably actually boaters. That's cool, although in some instances the least experienced and least bold boaters have exquisite and very expensive equipment and the guy who actually just hucked that waterfall is using some very shabby old stuff he got from his Dad or handed down from me. :twisted:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  19. Justinvs

Yeah, Yves Choinard founded Patagonia. There is a small factory about 60 miles from here. I like their products, but hate their politics. It's a mark of shame in the circles I run with to wear Patagonia. :lol:

The vice-principle at my daughter's high school, same town as the outlet factory, is Fred Chouinard. I'm pretty sure he's related to Yves. Nice guy.

20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I was wearing cargo shorts, Crocs, a down parka and a fleece hat as I waited for the school bus with my son this morning. No joke.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.