1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Non Glamorous Parts of Producing a Song

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by matman14, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

The second video, which is the album version, has the vastly superior guitar solo up in the mix. I think that one is great. That album was basically finished sans The Beatles input by Phil Spector. The last Beatles recording session, unless you count the "Anthology" sessions, was Ringo overdubbing toms on that song. It's a great tune, and a great performance. No rose colored glasses needed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    studio likes this.
  2. Skully

I could say that I won the internet with that thread. But, in truth, we all won the internet.

3. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Not a guitar, but still my favorite "WTF?" moment of modern record production. You've got David Freakin' Grissom in the band and THIS is the solo?

Skully and studio like this.
  4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'm kinda glad you weren't the one to close it.
    It seems like there was a time when people would gang up
    and try to get a thread closed. Like a cyber Burning Man event!

getbent likes this.
  5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Your Honor, the defense rests!

6. Skully

I might've already mentioned this stuff in this very thread, but... just listen at how many bad guitar solos were cut by "great" guitarists before Steely Dan got the keeper for "Peg" or read about how they had to coach Junior Walker through his sax solo in "Urgent," then comp the crap out of it. It ain't easy or automatic, even if the musicians are top shelf.

7. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

The choice of Maynard Ferguson-esque trumpet blasting is the real crime. Grissom could've quickly nailed a solo, he's a session pro.

The examples you gave were of two of the most anal-retentive producers in musical history. Mutt once tried out several dozen Marshall heads, for one rhythm guitar overdub on a Def Leppard record. Not sane. <g>

8. Skully

That's true, but it's also true that the other "Peg" solos sucked, and "Urgent" was before Mutt went off the deep end in his chase for perfection.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.