1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Nocaster that never was

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by NickDanger, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

At least your guitar's toes are warm!! :lol:

Sweet looking guitar. I may do the Nocaster Blonde/Butterscotch thing some day. I think I would like to have three or Nocaster's set up a little differently from each other.

2. Frank52387

Frank52387 Tele-Meister

I am on vacation and had to find a guitar store to play... I had a chance to play a custom shop 51 nocaster today.... I just could not get down with it...

I know it probably needed to be adjusted to my liking but I just felt that my mexican 50s tele was superior in playability and

I couldn't get down with the neck, my neck is very chunky but the shape of the no-caster was just uncomfortable especially down the open chord area, and tacky, it was Also extremely light compared to my tele, felt like a toy

I didn't like the fact that the neck pickup was so muffled (I know that it was wired like that back then) just doesn't seem practical for 2013

I'm sure with time and adjustments I'd love it but I think my 50s player is a winner

Aesthetically it was a beauty though, beautiful flame, the patina and checked paint...

I felt there was something left to be desired for 3,000 considering how much I love my tele

3. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

Wow! That guitar of yours is a celebrity. I must have watched that video 30 times before ordering and while waiting for UPS to drop her off. Great guitar with a great story!

4. Starrman44

Yep, I'm just the manager guy running around fetching stuff for her and booking stuff.

I really love the color of yours. It's pretty sweet.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

Ice Blue Metallic.

I absolutely love this guitar. She offers so much versatility, so much so that she has become my #1 gigging axe. The modern pickups and wiring combined with the big fat rosewood neck create a sound for every genre of music. I would have bought another one (black with white binding) off of Ebay a while back, but the wife said NO!

She's not the twangiest tele I've ever played but does great with modern country, rock, classic rock, jazz, blues. The texas special in the bridge offers a darker, grittier tone and the Twisted Tele in the neck is almost strat like. Combined they produce the quintessential tele middle position tone and in series, provide great humbucker power. If vintage twang, quack, or deep humbucker growl is the goal, there are more fitting guitars IMO. That's why they make Strats and Les Pauls!

I replaced the OEM bright white single ply pickguard with a Callaham 3-ply parchment one. IT WAS SOOO BRIGHT! I am considering installing a tophat style switch tip to replace the 50's style round one. I just find them easier to use when changing pickups in the dark.

Here's some fresh pix.

Attached Files:

6. Starrman44

I always put a Glendale chrome switch tip on my tele's. love the feel of the cold, hard metal and it has a set screw.

My other Nocaster has the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set. I might swap the pickups out of one of them (if I keep my other Nocaster). I'll probably be starting a thread later and uploading some pics I just took.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't like Wildwood's renderings of the guitars.

Colors are too saturated; distracting, not accurate to life.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

That is nice. I love double bound Teles and one with a Nocaster neck would be perfect IMHO. The 62 RI necks are too slim for me, actually returned one for that reason.

I love the one Boris posted as well but $3, 899 ain't cheap.

9. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

The double bound I use for an avatar is all Nocaster specs except the binding.

10. xtrajerry

Have 3 Nocasters only 1 with vintage radius and that one has a soft V neck and MJ frets.

11. xtrajerry

No blend on either of mine.

12. Starrman44

Someday I'd love to have a double bound candy apple red, maple necked nocaster spec'd telecaster. That and one butterscotch blonde one would round out my collection quite nicely. Four sounds about right.

13. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Frank, love your avatar!

Mine has my favorite guitarist and hockey team!:D

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  14. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

I love your as well!

15. xtrajerry

I'm kinda GASSING a sunburst esquire I was noodling on the other day.

16. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wouldn't mind a nocaster again, had one for about a week before i traded it towards a rossington les paul. Ah, back in the days when I had upwards to 11 guitars at once and was buying, trading and selling about one a week. I was such a gear slut. It was fun while it lasted.

17. Starrman44

GAH! You're plain killing me now. I've been thinking about how I would eventually like an Esquire with a big neck. That sunburst above is beautiful. Wouldn't mind that in a NOS esquire.

18. frogger

frogger Tele-Holic

NickDanger your Wildwood 10 looks fantabulous! Funny thing happened today I was in my favorite shop and noticed a strange looking CS 52 in 3-tone burst. Huge tone...1-off...It's living with me now. See my post in the this section. Never bought a guitar that came with 2 cases. :)

19. Encinitastubes

Encinitastubes Tele-Meister

Love the guitar. I vote for a white pearl pickguard like my surf green Nocaster in my avatar.

20. youkron

youkron TDPRI Member

Get yourself a classic 50's esquire and play it till it looks like that. That's what I'm doing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.