1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the newest and best venue in town?!?!

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Setyaback, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

The band I play in was up for a slot in the Midwest Music Festival, which is held in Winona, MN (small college town) every April. We didn't get booked, but the festival booking guy was very positive and encouraging and sent us an email saying we'd definitely get a spot the following year, and letting us know that they've blocked out paid weekend gigs all summer at the city's "newest and best" venue, specifically for bands that were on the brink and didn't make the cut for the festival.

Sounded interesting, so I followed up. Got this email today:

So yes -- the "newest and best" venue in town has "some speakers and a rudimentary soundboard." :neutral: I'm just jumping all over this, I can't wait to load up my van and drive 2 hours to your college town in the dead of summer so you can try to sell some beer during a period of otherwise slow business.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds like it could be the newest, maybe not best.

3. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

Not only that, I don't think there's a single band in the group they emailed that fits their criteria. Most of the bands, including us, play all originals. Strictly no covers. A 3-hour set is ridiculous for bands like this.

4. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

I would call and get the specs. They could mean "rudimentary" because it isn't a 24 channel Allen and Heath with a 5000 watt power amp.

It could turn out to be a decent little 12 channel Macke that will suit your needs just fine.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Ten dollar bar tab per person? Wow!
    Just wow.

6. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

Yeah, well, a 12-channel mackie usually doesn't come with a qualified sound guy, either.

If there was just one question mark, I'd think it'd be worth following up. But the entire thing is a question mark. I'd just wind up saying something I regret if I got into a dialogue with these guys.

To me, the entire ad screams: Hey, We're looking to exert ZERO effort and make some money in the process. We can give some, but not much, back to you, the band. You get a $10 bar tab! And If you bring in a lot of people who drink a lot, we'll throw you an extra 20-spot and book you again, so you can bring back that thirsty crowd that helps our bottom-line.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Maybe it's on a paddle boat.:lol:

8. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

If only! I'd be the first guy on the end of the dock with a guitar and a life vest.

9. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

I'm just saying call and find out the score before jumping to conclusions, there's always the answer "no"!!:)

10. Moonrider

Moonrider Tele-Meister

So? You've never run sound from stage before? I do it all the time.

Why? You can't ask questions without being snarky?

Golly gee whiz! You've just described pretty much every single bar venue in the US, if not the world!

Here's what I'd do:

• Ask for more info. Right now you don't know enough to make a decision.
    • Quote them a price.
    • If they come back with slightly less than you want, then say "That buys you <insert amount of time here>. We're a business too, y'know."
    • If they're offering an insultingly low price, simply say "That won't cover our expenses, much less turn us a profit. Call us when you're ready to make a real offer. Have a nice day." Then walk.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

""and since it is in the summer, can play for an inexpensive price. ""... why?..

that sounds weird?... you'd think summer was the time to sell more beer and make a $.... as opposed to winter?...

good luck with your decision..:)

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Setyaback
    They just want somebody cheap.

Chances are the Promoter got paid a set amount to put on the show.
    Every band that works cheap is more coin in his pocket.

I've run in to this too many times.

"Since its Summer..." As if outdoor shows in the Midwest pay more in the Winter.

13. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Rudimentary means a mixer that doesn't have nearly enough auxiliary sends a few channels that don't and a handful of speakers means non of them are matched sets and no subs.

14. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

While I appreciate the advice, I just don't think it plays well around here.

This venue is in a college town -- during the school year, fall through spring, they have a pretty booming business. Kids don't stick around small college towns in the summer.

First off, no, we don't run our own sound, ever. I've played many of the bars & clubs --some infamous ones!-- in this metro area & i think I've maybe been part of one show where the venue didn't have a tech on staff. that's just how it is here.

This "scene" is close-knit in a really creepy way. It's passive aggressive and ridiculous. If I'm relatively certain that this isn't going to work out (which I am), I'm better off just respectfully declining and not even getting into a back-and-forth with the venue owner, who is bound to know 10 other venue owners and will be more than happy to smear my good name if I dare to ask for a fair wage.

15. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

how do you know that? do you know the venue?

I've been told that the club had a "small simple PA" only to discover a decent 12 channel board 3 monitors and a sizable power amp before. (they were comparing it to a HOB setup apparently)

I've also been told "dude our sound system is huge!" only to discover it was smaller than the one above...

16. BedspreadPicnic

BedspreadPicnic Tele-Meister

Summer in a small college town in the upper midwest = possible ghost town

17. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

If you really want to play that festival and you think this might score so points for you in that regard or help your band otherwise (you said he knew several other owners or promoters), you could get another band from your area that you are friends with to go and split the bill and expenses and run sound for each other. I don't think an original band having 3 hours worth of material and doing their own sound is unheard of, and an original band playing for free is definitely not unheard of. If you don't feel it is worth your trouble, don't do it. You might want to politely explain in case you have to deal with this person or someone connected down the road.

18. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Clearly sarcasm isn't conveyed through a screen.

19. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

it's kinda hard without tone of voice, eye rolling or smilies to let you know man!!! :)

20. BennyLee

BennyLee Tele-Meister

3 hours of play time is the norm (commonly 9:30 to 1:30, or 9:00 to 1:00). It's normally broken down into four 45 minute sets with a 20 minute break in between each set. So you're actually there 4 hours, but only playing for 3.

The norm is also 1 drink per set for each of the band members (it used to be free drinks).
    The $10 tab and inexpensive price is just being cheap.
    Around here, band price is $200 to $300 a night, and roughly double for New Years Eve.
    Summers are pretty busy in the bars (especially in college towns), so they shouldn't need to be cheap then.

I normally play in cover bands, so things may be different for originals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.