the new Player Plus Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by doctymie, Sep 14, 2021.

1. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Like that aged CAR body but that's about it. Maybe Stratosphere will part out a couple.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

In an odd move then it looks like the old Deluxes went to $999 - matching the new Player Plus. At least that is what the old Deluxes are now on Sweetwater. Maybe they will go to a bit of a sell-off price in the coming weeks, so maybe they are playing the old "let's mark them up before marking them down" game.

The last Deluxe Nashville at my local GC is priced at $799 - with a large chunk out of it where it must have been dropped.

3. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Love that green color! What the traditionalists seem to forget is that Fender's M.O. as early as the mid to late '50s was introducing new vibrant colors and innovations like the 6 saddle Tele bridge in the '70s and 22 frets instead of 21 in the mid '80s, flatter fretboard radiuses and bigger frets. Many of us want to play a comfortable ergonomic guitar and don't just want the visuals of a historically correct museum piece without the gradual upgrades available since the '50s.

P.S. These are getting kinda expensive though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Caffiend and Jensen like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Started within 30m of each other and appearing on the same New Posts page. Priceless. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/sweetwater-email-about-the-new-“player-plus”-series.1081622/

As an aside, how do you know the pickups are lifeless?

And, it is just remotely possible not everyone wants the same exact things in guitar. Or icecream. Or autos. Or . . .

Caffiend likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like the green, too, but I can never be sure until I see it in person.

6. IrishBread69

IrishBread69 TDPRI Member

I thought the pickups sounded decent in the demos.

I have no complaints about the set in my Ultra.

Gary135r likes this.
  7. kctelegas

kctelegas TDPRI Member

I wonder if the Player Plus and the Nashville share the same rout for pickups.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I'm sure they do; it seems like the majority "modern-spec" Tele models have that neck humbucker/middle single coil/bridge single coil routing - exceptions being the American Performer Tele (neck humbucker/bridge single coil) and HH models.

kctelegas likes this.
  9. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Guys, have you seen their launch ads? These are aimed at modern players. I dont think I saw anyone who looked older than 25 in those videos.

These are distinctly modern spec and look. They're the MIM version of the Elite series. Don't complain they don't have the classic pickups or fretboard radius or whatever because that's what the Vintera line exists for.

earthquake_glue and Maguchi like this.
  10. jgwcaster

jgwcaster TDPRI Member

I for one am excited about these. I have been wanting a tele for a long time (should never have sold my first one). The Green one looks awesome. A modern neck is fine by me. I have some nerve damage in my fret hand that disagrees with thick necks. I am not familiar with noiseless pickups. Those pickups are what I want to find out about some more. I am not too worried about them being a little duller, besides the tele I let get away was a candy apple red mim from the 90s that had Tex mex pickups (humbucker in the neck). That one had six saddles so I guess I’ll never know what I am missing. I got scrounge up a little bit more cash before I can pull the trigger. I’m 40 so they might card me for being to old to purchase. . .

Maguchi and bromdenlong like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Love the green!

12. Opt_234

Opt_234 TDPRI Member

i mean i really don't get the complaints about modern designs.

guitar is changing, music has changed. we as a community can either live in denial and pretend that the old-fart blues dads are that only payers out there, but the reality is much different.

players are playing in new ways and WILL seek out guitars to fit their styles and wants in a guitar. if you want to stay alive, you need to make **** for new players. adapt or die. fender can either make stuff that caters to newer players and styles, or they can do like gibson and just make the same **** over and over and over and market it for a small group of players and a genre of music no one even plays anymore

if fender doesn't offer stuff, ESP and Ibanez will. Fender, if they want to survive, need to capitalize on the new era of guitar and make themselves known

I personally think fender is the best company at wide reaching marketing right now. I like that they do new and unorthodox things

Caffiend and Maguchi like this.
  13. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Holic

If newgen is the target then why even keep the dinosaur body shape? Who wants to play great grandpa’s guitar?

14. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

Literally my favorite color.

ruger9 likes this.
  15. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

I tried a Thinline Deluxe with the previous noiseless pickups recently and it just didn't do it for me. Great guitar, but there just seems to be something missing from the noiseless pickups. The new ones are supposed to be better. We'll see. I am craving the HSS Strat in Cosmic Jade already, though.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like the relief cuts- I almost bought a Kotzen model for that very reason. (I can't stand the Uber-white maple neck on the Kotzen tho)

17. corbo

corbo Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Rib cut? HARD PASS.

18. Caffiend

Caffiend TDPRI Member

I could see this tbh. No thoughts on the pickups but there’s an entire industry out there geared around replacing pickups that players didn’t like. To me, the woodwork is the non-negotiable thing on any guitar purchase.

Personally I think 12” radius is a winner on a Tele for the right person. My favourite guitar is my partscaster with a Fender 12” and jumbos roast maple flat oval tele neck.

They obviously aren’t going to sell many player pluses to people looking at vintage reissues or even vinteras, but there’s definitely a market for this.

Maguchi likes this.
  19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Whatever works!

20. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

I took the plunge. Been wanted another tele ever since I traded away my American Pro a couple years ago. I am a huge fan of the maple Players Series modern C neck. My players series strat is one of my favorites. Ordered the Butterscotch Blond Nashville Tele. It should arrive sometime today. Haven't had the noiseless pickups before but have played a bunch at stores and through they sounded fine. Playing in my home studio will sort that quickly. Pickups are an easy change. Give me a perfect neck and I will love the guitar. Took advantage of the 36 month financing so $29/mo doesn't seem too bad :/ Excited for it's arrival!

Maguchi and Jensen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.