1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The new Pau Ferro necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lend27, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Alter Ego

Alter Ego TDPRI Member

Esthetics = To each his own.
    Tone and feel = Blindfolded few could tell.
    Conservation = Absolutely.

2. DMRoller

DMRoller Tele-Meister

Hi folks, maybe I missed it in this thread (easily possible), but has anyone mentioned that the CITES regulations are more about Chinese furniture manufacturers who still import illegally sourced rosewood? Here's an article from 2018 talking about this - Guitar Makers Hit Hard by New Regulations on Prized Rosewood

From this article, "Fearful that Africa and Asia were losing rosewood forests, governments adopted the rules to stem the flow of smuggled rosewood to China’s luxury furniture manufacturers. But the restrictions have also hurt companies that use relatively tiny amounts of the wood in guitars, clarinets and oboes."

Another interesting article about the illegal trade in wood for Chinese furniture manufacture - Cycles of Destruction-Unsustainability, Illegality and Violence in the Hongmu Trade

The guitar makers and players are not the problem, but we all have to deal with the fallout of the situation.

I like the rosewood, but I'll use Paul Ferro on a guitar that I'm gathering parts for now if that's the material that's there. I just want a great playing guitar.

3. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Fender, of course, isn't the only maker who's had to switch fretboard wood. Rickenbacker changed from Bubinga, which they've used since the 70s, to a wood called Chechen. They both feel and sound similar to me. Usually, Bubinga is a little more red than Chechen, but that's about it. I think a similar thing is going on with Fender and rosewood/Pau Ferro.

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Just trying to be helpful here:

Pau Ferro = MIM fretboard wood (Pau with a “u”)

Kung Pao Chicken = delicious chicken dish (Pao with an “o”)

Though I guess “Pao” Ferro could be delicious fretboard wood!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.