The new Pau Ferro necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lend27, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I've always liked rosewood fingerboards just because of their dark appearance. My only concerns with pau ferro are the variance in wood tone. If you don't see the exact guitar you are buying it can either look just like rosewood or a more cherry tone. I don't like the cherry wood tone look on a fretboard... again, if you ordered a guitar from a website that doesn't display pictures of the exact guitar you are buying (they just use stock images) then you have no idea what your neck will actually look like until you receive it.

2. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

It won't but political animals etc would not accept that anyway.... I hear there is lots of space on Mars to plant forests... Just kidding but we are somewhat going nuts on these things.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's kind of weird that pau ferro was a tropical wood used on more expensive custom guitars, an upgrade from rosewood and ebony and a surcharge in the days when custom guitars were all the rage.

But I guess guitarists want the same fingerboard wood that Jimmy Page used or whatever.

And all I've been saying about Brazil has been confirmed, I've read another article that says they've increased deforestation of the Amazon.

hemingway likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Look around you, the same machine that polices this stuff is pushing for increased population growth and increased construction/ building, import-export. Maybe if they stopped interfering with things materials and land wouldn't be depleting at such a fast rate.

Teleterr likes this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure it would help if they did nothing. But they're set on saving species and not the rainforest as a whole.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is my understanding that the rosewood issue is less of a conservation issue than a bureaucracy issue. Brazilian and a few other species are truly banned due to how they were harvested, but Indian and many other species are still acceptable. But the 2017 change was to the paperwork required to use the still-legal species of rosewood that are sustain-ably harvested.

Because the people in charge of enforcing CITES could not tell the difference between the banned and legal species of rosewood the legal species have to have paperwork that is the equivalent of a "passport" proving that is is legal rosewood. The raw wood has to have this paperwork coming in to the factory, and the finished good has to have this paperwork when it leaves the factory. Fender made the decision they didn't want to do that paperwork on MIM models, so they went to Pau Ferro. They are willing to do it for USA models, so they still have rosewood.

For the finished products the paperwork requirements come into play when the product is shipped outside the boundaries of the country - so Fender only needs the paperwork for USA models going outside of the USA.

Why do MIJ Fenders still use rosewood? Fender doesn't own the MIJ factories; they contract production. It's up to the factory to deal with obtaining the wood and the paperwork. Fender says "make these specs at $xxx for export outside of Japan" and the factory has to either eat any additional costs or find a substitute that Fender can agree with. I'm sure that is why the Squiers now use Indian Laural fingerboards.

7. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I originally was a PF hater, now I'm indifferent. They can darken up quite a bit with some oil so that they're on par with rosewood. You can also find them without too much asymmetry in the wood grain. As far as the feel goes, it's perfectly fine. I guess I would prefer rosewood but I wouldn't let a pau ferro neck stop me from buying a guitar that had everything else I wanted(including a low, low price).

I've owned 3 guitars with pf fingerboards. I will say that they are much smoother than the rosewood board on my Gibson.

8. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Yes, did not take long to get used to the one on my Modern Select.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

I didn’t even know what kind of wood was on my 60th Anniversary Ltd Jazzmaster (MIM); I assumed it was Rosewood, but apparently it’s Pau Ferro. For me, it looks lovely, but I agree that I’d possibly be less satisfied if it was pale and streaky.

48E3AD1C-36F7-4290-876B-75A39967248D.jpeg

Woollymonster and Ivorytooth like this.
  10. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

The same could be said for rosewood ime, not all rosewood looks the same.

11. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

True, although I've never seen a rosewood neck as light and cherry colored as some pau ferro boards.

12. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Well of course not it's a different wood, but there are always variations in all woods.

13. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN TDPRI Member

marijuana, hashish, ying-yang...Fretboard confusion bores me.

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

? You ve never seen an old guitar w the finish or even the wood worn away from fingers ? Usually in the Cowboy chord area.

15. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Because my fingers are resting on TOP of the strings pushing down, I would assume the wear is from the string contact to the fretboard and not necessarily from fingers touching it directly. MAYBE ever so much from the overhang from fat fingers folding over the sides of the string. But then I would argue it is the gunk from your sweat on the strings that makes the wear over time. OR your fingernails scratching it. I don't really have much feeling in my fingernails....

All I'm saying is that it is kind of ludicrous to say that you can feel any REAL difference in hardness of fretboard material while you're playing and also during MOTION, when you are pushing down on a metal string that rests primarily on two other pieces of metal.

I know I know, I'm not experienced enough, or don't have "enough feel" to be able to tell.

hellopike likes this.
  16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Before Todd had his, I got the dumb idea of an Aluminum finger board. Fretting hurt. Also true of Gaboon Ebony to a lesser extent. Maple , Rosewood seem similar so there's a threshold at least for me, but someone else might be more sensitive.

17. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I'm truly curious. How did fretting hurt? What part of your hand hurt by fretting?

18. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think this will make any difference to anybody in this thread, but:

Last fall I bought one of the new Epiphone Modernes, and it has a Pau Ferro fingerboard. Quite frankly I don't even think about it until I read a thread like this. I imagine it will darken due to skin oil over time.

I've always preferred rosewood boards but the PF feels pretty much the same to me, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

303CDB94-49DC-4C1F-939F-700D071BB95F.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  19. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN TDPRI Member

I purchased a white Players Series Tele with a PF neck. Installed
    Fender locking tuners, mint green pick guard and baby it looks as good as it plays. I'll have pics later.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm going to try and tiptoe around the enviro part of this thread. I have a Pao Ferro board on my parts guitar - actually it's a "Canary" neck, which I've only ever seen from Warmoth, with a Pao Ferro fingerboard. It feels very hard and smooth like Ebony and has a nice dark brown with minor streaking look to it. I'm very happy with it and have always been, even though I also like the look of a nice old fashioned dark RW board.
    What I have seen come out of Fender with the new PF boards does not look like my board - the ones I have seen look dried out and rough.

As far as destroying the planet by sourcing rare woods for guitars - that is so incredibly far down the list of environmental problems to be upset about, I wouldn't know where to start, except to say getting vocal about it is more about virtue signaling than anything else.

Hammerhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.