The new Pau Ferro necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lend27, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Steven72

Steven72 TDPRI Member

Maybe step up your personal hygiene game?

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

If you go to the nations of origin, you'll find that the indigenous people burn rosewood as firewood and to cook over. Funny how governments decide for those people that their resources are "endangered". You can still get rosewood, there are just fees and paperwork involved. In other words, it's a $$$ making scheme.

soulman969 and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My nails grow hard and fast. I don't trim them weekly and before you realise they need trimming they are already wearing on the fretboard. As I said, they don't need to be long to do that. Maybe your soft touch and soft nails just have no affect on yours? Sometimes you have to squeeze the tone out of it with a firm grip, not just go through the motions.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Personally, unless I'm building a black tuxedo guitar, I like the PF or a light, streaky rosewood. Just looks more like "wood" to me, if that makes sense. And as others have said, I'll play a sustainable wood that saves a species from extinction - you can always just dye it.

I have a PF neck on my Player Strat and that sucker plays amazing and looks just as good. I'm a PF guy all day.

telepraise likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You must be new here. Waaay at the bottom of the page it says “treat everyone with respect, no matter how difficult!” I hug trees, my mom, scientific reasoning AND my dark rosewood fretboards. Nobody’s changing the world with this thread, its for S&Gs, and still nobody will address the real problem—PF boards contribute to male pattern baldness!

6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

schmee and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

Just a few years ago, pau ferro was seen on guitars rarely, and was considered an elite choice of wood for fretboards (the high-end SRV strat had this on it). Then suddenly, it became the consolation prize - simply because guitar manufacturers were sort of pushed in that direction due to CITES. It's all in the perspective.

8. Chunkocaster

Some pao ferro looks nice, others are quite ugly. There is a wide variation in the grain and color of pao ferro. Makes ordering sight unseen a potential nightmare imo.
    Rosewood varies too but the odds are it will still be acceptable and similar to what you imagine it will look like.
    Custom Guitars on ebay were selling pao ferro fretboard necks about 10 years ago for premium prices. I think they were premium prices because they were non standard. Not because the wood was more expensive to buy unfinished.

9. BorderRadio

Last I checked, rosewood is endangered. Kind of moot mentioning it’s use by indigenous people who utilize their environment for subsistence. Trust me, as an indigenous person I’m very keenly aware that not only should resource consumption be balanced, but the resource be protected as well. Of course things are much more complicated than this, but let’s pretend worldwide demand, including guitar manufacturing isn’t part of the problem. :rolleyes:

Telemarx and Steven72 like this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

"Endangered" - who decides this and by what parameters?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Endangered is a marketing term for price or tax increase.
    If you are wealthy enough you can still destroy as much forest as you like.

Got a billion dollars? I'm pretty sure you could order tens of thousands of solid rosewood dining tables if you want all year long. They will cut down existing trees for you to make them if you would prefer it.

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

There's a lesson here. Tons of cheap guitars and necks out there. Many had rosewood. We buy them. Rosewood goes away, Ebony goes away. etc. If we appreciated good things, took care of them and not just buy something new on a whim constantly, maybe those woods wouldn't be gone.
    It's probably too late , but my advice is buy all those MIM Fenders etc on Craig's list you can, because without rosewood, those MIM Strats with rosewood fretboards are going to increase in price fast. We'll all be sitting around thinking "wow, I didn't see that coming, old MIM Strats are going for $1000 on Ebay!"

13. Chunkocaster

I'm off to plant some rosewood trees in my backyard.

Wish I thought of planting them with tobacco years ago. I would be retired by now or at least as wealthy as a gov policy maker.

14. BorderRadio

Do you have some links you want me to read? A blog site that speaks ‘truth’? Do you have some peer-reviewed articles to cite (see what I did there)? Because at this point I can respond after a week of research to counter your comment, grab some “likes”, and win? That’s silly if you ask me. If it’s your opinion that all the rosewood in the world is just fine, and we can continue to deplete it because everyone else is too, then so be it.

It’s no conspiracy that money has been making the gears turn, overtly and covertly. Thinking this has nothing to do with gear consumption is the disconnect.

backporchmusic likes this.
  15. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

JJOVa likes this.
  16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

"Endangered" - who decides this and by what parameters?"

Calling out the definition of a word or who 'decides' an issue is more fallout from the popularization of post-modern philosophy, which was untenable garbage on a good day to begin with. Sad that the 'question authority' notion within is never followed up with a valid answer to said question. It's only used as a way to brush off responsibility for something, the way a precocious 12 year old tries to do. It seems the only lasting takeaway from po-mo thought is everyone defines their own reality.

Steven72 likes this.
  17. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Don't know about Pau Ferro, but I like Indian Laurel just fine.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That higher porosity adds țo the feel.

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agreed - I first became aware of Pau Ferro through Schecter catalogs back in the day; they had some beautiful solid Pau Ferro necks. You would also see them on Pensa-Suhrs a bit later in the 1980s, and I recall the top-of-the-line Reb Beach signature Ibanez a bit later at the end of the 1980s/early 1990s had them also (please no Winger jokes; the guitar was drop-dead gorgeous):

[​IMG]

John Suhr is still doing the solid Pau Ferro necks to this day:

[​IMG]

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  20. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Paul Ferro is also known as Iron Wood. It's known as that due to its hardness. Seems to me that a really hard wood would be very desirable, and would resist wear, while making the neck more stable. Maybe I'm just not very smart...

DanDII and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.