The new Pau Ferro necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lend27, Jun 30, 2019.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Good point. And the finish on maple boards too. But yes, for me it's all about how my fingers feel on the wood.

ricknbaker and bsman like this.
  2. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

BTW - I have maple boards on all Fenders, save for a '60 Musicmaster. I doubt I could actually articulate a reason - it's probably more aesthetic than functional - but I think teles and strats just look "right" to me with maple. :)

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Yebbut it's all about the sonic attack...:rolleyes:

hellopike likes this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Not sure if you're making fun of my post, but don't get snarky just because your ears can't hear it. Not everyone has good hearing.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

That's your approach to logic? C'mon Espy, that lucite guitar, has a fretboard made out of....wait for it...rosewood!
    check it out:
    https://reverb.com/p/ampeg-dan-arms...AQYASABEgLkc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=25702502

and for the most part, they were made decades ago, and their overall impact is null. Zip. Yep, you can still buy cheap imitations with, wait for it, rosewood fretboards!

Look, I'm 100% for conservation. I have yet to hear one cogent argument against conservation.

I get that people like rosewood for certain reasons, and realistically, the use of rosewood for guitar fretboards isn't what's making rainforest environments disappear. Even factoring in other musical instruments that use rosewood (guitars aren't the only use), there are much larger forces at work. Owning a guitar with a rosewood board does not make one a destroyer of the environment.

OTOH, use of another Brazilian wood, pernambuco or paubrasilia (from which the nation takes it's name) destroyed most of the natural stands; in the background playing Randy Newman's song "Great Nations of Europe Coming Through!" and it's general scarcity now is very problematic for violin bow makers because its used for bows for violin and other such instruments.

I understand that some folks like their uniform dark chocolate looking rosewood - but that's more of a recent phenomenon, related to the use of dyes. Natural rosewood (if you look at the decades of Brazilian rosewood used by Martin) has some figuring, streaking actual grain appearance. I think that's the most beautiful stuff, but most electric guitarists with less historical perspective have a different sense of aesthetics.

but that's all it is. appearance. Yeah, plenty folks like the feel, and I would lean towards thinking hey, just get over yourselves, but from all indications, we're close to peak guitar fabrication and consumption. At least one can hope. OTOH, if for some reason the regions of the planet with heavy population density see just small increases in buying power, well, I hope your grandkids are prepared. In any event, the planet is it's own living entity and all kinds of planet-sized catastrophes have happened in the past and will happen again at some time in the future.

All kinds of completely musical and extremely adept players have been able to play great stuff on all kinds of woods. rosewood does not make better musicians.

the only concern I have for Richlite is the resin - what exactly are we talking about here? I don't know.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you like your guitar. Grevillea Robusta (locally referred to as silky oak) has never been considered a weed to my knowledge and has been used as a furniture and joinery timber here since the 19th century. I have a large specimen of the tree that is well over fifty years old in my back yard and I don’t know that is really wide enough yet to get a set o backs and sides from.

7. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

What?

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. Lend27

Lend27 TDPRI Member

Yeah, those damn Baby Boomers are the cause of all the world's problems.

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

They may not be actual guitarists. They might just like them.

At gigs I am just happy looking to catch the eye of any pretty girls dancing, not admiring the shade of my fretboard, of which I can only see the bound side anyway.

I am pretty sure the audience is not judging my fretboard colour either.

People do have some strange priorities.

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. Nice to hear someone admit to it. ;)

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

$109 for a Allparts unfinished neck on ebay. Plenty of others on there too.

12. Chunkocaster

I'm just sick of being taxed more and prices being jacked up due to environmental issues most of which are a natural occurrence imo. Nature and the environment is being used as a licence to increase profits regardless of if makes one iota of change. That extra cost needs to be earned by jumping in a vehicle and going to work more which adds to the problem the extra cost claims to be helping. Proper management is what is needed imo.

If things were as dire as we are constantly told then the first step should be to slow population growth and stop importing and exporting everything we use but that is the last thing the same people marketing the environment want. Their usual solution it to produce something else more cheaply and push for increased production and higher prices. I look at the big picture and notice the hypocrisy and b/s.

What is happening here is Fender have sourced cheaper easier to provide Pao Ferro and are expecting the same price because they claim to be saving the trees.
    To add to the insult they are taking pre orders here on roadworn and classic series guitars listed as having rosewood boards when they will arrive with pao ferro boards. I hope they are called out on that BS.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Durtdog likes this.
  13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My 1986 Carvin's ebony FB has streaks. I'm happy a tree got cut down and used, not left to rot on the forest floor.

Steven72 and LunarSlingShot like this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Can you hook me up with some?:)

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There was some ad years ago with this guy selling these pine (not spruce) boards. There was a photo of a basement full of them. Don't know if they were legal or not. Didn't buy any because I didn't have a bandsaw at the time, although I did ponder upon it. You could have done one piece bodies with them.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You’d be surprised. My girl definitely noticed my dark rosewood board. I married her on the spot :D

17. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure that the rosewood slab on guitars doesn't even make up 1% of the rosewood market (If you have figures show me) and that most rosewood is being gobbled up by the Chinese for high-dollar furniture market. Make no mistake these trees will still be cut down, (even illegally) and China will buy it all. The CITES rules will only affect Western countries. It's the old "some folks have to play by the rules, some don't have to because there are no consequences."

As an aside: You would think that Gibson and other companies who use these woods would have established their own tree farms long ago to insure their source of wood in the future.

soulman969 likes this.
  18. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

The hardness of the wood under your fingers....please.... Last I checked when I play a guitar my fingers are on the strings which rest on the metal frets. Not sure when I last pushed my fingers through the metal strings and took note of how hard the fretboard wood was.

What a joke.

19. Steven72

Steven72 TDPRI Member

Sweet Baby Jesus,

You lot sound like a horrid mix of the cranky old bastard yelling for the kids to get off his lawn and the poor soccer mom who just discovered Starbucks ran out of soy milk for her latte.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again: be thankful you only have First World problems to deal with. And as for you poor conspiracy theorists: well, you're old and will probably die before Fender and the tree huggers come for your guns and your rosewood fingerboards.

20. Chunkocaster

My fretboard is worn and pitted in areas after only 4 years of daily playing.
    If your finger nails get a bit long they will wear a fretboard fast. Especially on acoustic with heavy strings. I'm not talking long nails either, just when they are not cut back from the finger tips.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.