The new Pau Ferro necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lend27, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Lend27

Lend27 TDPRI Member

Not sure about you guys, but I could never bring myself to buy any guitar with a Pau Ferro neck.
    I need to have a uniform, dark neck. Just my preference.
    But I do love a nice aged maple neck.
    I do hope they come up with a nice dark, readily available neck material soon.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

G&L is using Brazilian Cherry in place of rosewood on many models and it's virtually indistinguishable from rosewood.

kiloton1.jpg
    kiloton.jpg

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

You do know that a lot of rosewood is light and has been dyed for fingerboards?

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I found a uniform, dark, Pau Ferro neck on the Classic Player Jazzmaster I bought from Sweetwater.

Some Pau Ferro necks with beautiful rich colors and grain look nice with lighter colored bodies in my opinion. However, most of them are too light and orangey for my taste.

I would certainly prefer a dark rosewood neck but I’m growing fond of the Maple neck on my American Special Tele and at this point I’m happy with what I have.

5. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I also don't light lighter or streaked rosewood. I don't think darker rosewood has any magical tonal properties or anything, I, like the OP just prefer the dark, uniform look. I would be fine with them dying the wood, using a different type of wood like G&L uses with the Brazilian Cherry, etc. This is why I usually just go with maple. I have nothing against Pau Ferro other than I just don't think it looks right against a Fender body since we're just used to that contrast of a nice, dark fretboard and the guitar body. The Pau Ferro just looks dry and washed out to me. I dislike it purely based on aesthetics.

Although I almost always prefer a maple board, I do have an '08 Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass that has a really nice dark rosewood board. Its tough to beat a dark rosewood board against a while body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

frankly, all the questions about color, pickguards, offsets, relics and how it all looks seem a little "does my butt look big in these pants?" to me. :lol: haha
    The color makes zero difference to me. (Ok, flourescent green I don't care for!) The feel does matter. Pau F feels fine to me, but I've only had one.
    Ebony is a good option but not many are using it. I suppose it's getting scarcer too.

JayFreddy, Chino, hellopike and 5 others like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I agree with the op but if this is true mabey they should dye the pau ferro board a little.
    I don’t know if the actual switch is affecting sales or not since if you want that import model new and current there’s little choice

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I won’t buy any Fender with a streaky/light PF fingerboard. Simple as that.

I know it’s a fine wood, makes no audible difference, nobody will notice, etc. I just like dark finger boards, so I’ll pay for dark rosewood or ebony. If I find a dark board Meteora or dark IBM Vintera Jazzmaster I’m on it though :)

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like 50's and 60's fenders so they either have maple or rosewood necks. Pao Ferro is a unwanted substitute for me on vintage themed guitars.

They are apparently using Pao Ferro on the 60's roadworn strats and classic series mim guitars. Two models that should be fitted with rosewood imo. Using Pau Ferro on those models lessens their appeal to me and should lower the cost for the buyer, not just the manufacturer.

Fender have skimped on and manipulated their range so much that they have priced me out of their guitar offerings anyway. I prefer to put partscasters together and get exactly what I want for less cost.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Jackroadkill and soulman969 like this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Just be thankful it is still wood. They could pull the Martin Richlite card which I think is the most disgusting thing for an instrument builder to use...especially a premium brand.

57DS, Alter, ponce and 3 others like this.
  11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There are only so many trees on the planet, and AFAIK most Rosewood species take many years for a tree large enough to yield boards wide enough for acoustic guitar backs and sides, maybe less time for fingerboards. But, I'm sure that much Rosewood is being wasted because of snobs like some here. Bob Taylor had to start his own sawmill in Cameroon when he found out that 90% of all Ebony trees were being left on the forest floor to rot because they weren't perfectly black! Now he's trying to convince folks to overcome their biases about Ebony so the waste doesn't continue.
    I've had dark rosewood board guitars that didn't sound as good as some with lighter rosewood or PF. And, I find it especially ironic that some who can't tolerate Rosewood or Ebony that isn't perfectly dark will pay extra for the CS to beat up/relic their guitar to purposely make it look shi**y! I care about things that matter in my guitars, and the color of the board isn't one of them. If you don't like it, then get out some Kiwi shoe polish (or other dye) and make it the color you want.
    My Squier Jag has an Indian Laurel board which is part dark and part light, and my Player Strat has a light PF board, and I love the sound and playability of both. They're instruments, not museum pieces. How many concert violinists have rejected their Strad because it wasn't pretty enough?

12. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

That looks like a jazz bass to me. My eyes ain't what they used to be.

Clifton C likes this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty sure there are high-end Fenders that always had that type of fretboard. The SRV model, perhaps?

Fiesta Red, Tim S and urbandefault like this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think they did offer Pao Ferro on the srv necks.

They are obviously setting up for raising the price of rosewood fretboard guitars while sourcing Pao Ferro more cheaply, easily than they can rosewood. Rosewood will eventually become the Brazilian rosewood of the future mostly due to changing regulations/restrictions.. I'm pretty set for rosewood necks and have developed a preference for maple so i'm not really bothered by it. I can still get rosewood necks from other sources if needed.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Brazilian Cherry or Jatoba used by G&L and others appears to be both plentiful and inexpensive although it's density and hardness make it more difficult to work with.

It also stains well which may indicate it too is darkened for use on fretboards. It's primary use is for hardwood flooring and cabinetry which would indicate it is a sustainable wood.

Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, and is reported by the IUCN as being a species of least concern.

hellopike and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After the CITES regs were tightened up in 2017 Fender made the choice that they were primarily going to keep rosewood for the USA models, switching most of the MIMs to Pao Ferro to avoid having to do extra paperwork on the lower priced models. So to get rosewood you're looking at the Robert Cray MIM Strat at $925, or moving to the American Performer series at $1,100. My American Performer Mustang has a nice dark rosewood board (probably dyed to get it that dark).

[​IMG]

mimmo and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

How is preference a form of snobbery? One can still purchase a rosewood neck, just not on a new Mexican Fender. I'm all for sensible harvesting and sustainable strategies but c'mon, if we really want to help curb tropical wood consumption, we'll need to stop this NGD culture, right?

On another note, I was hoarding my rosewood necks for a minute there. I sold it all off, including some nice Squier dark rosewood necks which I pushed off at S-T. I don't really need them, and they're better off in other player's hands. Meanwhile I have a mid 60s Corvette with good mahogany and rosewood bones that I'm recycling/restoring. Probably Honduran/Brazilian. Lots of little gems out there to be had over buying a new Jazzmaster with a PF neck.

Kontaktmoi, soulman969 and Lend27 like this.
  18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If it saves tree species from extinction I'd have a pink plywood fretboard.

19. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

The color thing never bothered me.

My preference is for Mad then Braz. To me it's more about the waxy feel of the board. Some IRW has a good feel but most I've had w/IRW needed to be 'played in' for quite some time to get that smooth waxy feel that most Mad and Braz boards have from the get go.

My one off NAMM show Hamer Copper Top Monaco Elite has an orange hue Braz board. It feels just as good as my 1 off '17 Braz CR7 LP with a dark Braz board.

It's also worth noting that those lighter color RW boards all darken with time and sweat.

20. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I like the PF one on the Jaguar I just put together. I'd rather have a decent PF neck like this than a streaky RW neck with wide open grain. Not that I wouldn't have liked a nice, dark vintage vibe to this neck...

[​IMG]

57DS, JL_LI, Chino and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.