The new Mason Guitar -Question / Comparisons

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by T Prior, May 7, 2021.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

The Brent Mason Telecaster: While I rcvd mine last year in Aug, its stellar, exactly as expected and spot on to advertised Fender specs and weight. My close friend rcvd his a month back after a lengthy delay. Its NOT the same as mine. The weight was over 9 lbs, the nut width, neck width , at the 1st fret was 1.66 compared to mine 1.625. Mine weighs just a tad over 8 lbs. Plus it didn't feel the same. I thought he was crazy until we put them side by side, he was not crazy . He ordered his after sitting down with mine for a while. The neck depth at the first fret was also a tad thicker than mine.

Now obviously some would say all that is not a big deal, but maybe it is to some. For me the nut/neck width would have been ok but the weight would not, for my friend it was the opposite. But his opinion and position was that for the money it should be as spec'd. And he would be correct. He loved mine but didn't love his and that was the issue. He sent it back.

So the question for those that may have rcvd one of the late issued guitars ( the Back Ordered guitars), how are they ? Is it as expected better than expected or not as expected ? Because clearly my friends recently rcvd guitar was NOT the same as the one I rcvd last year in Aug.

I did notice on the Sweetwater website they have 4 available, 3 are listed at near 8 lbs and 1 is listed at over 10 lbs ! WOW ! Same guitar 2 lbs heavier .

regardless- I love mine, its everything I expected and more.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Happens all the time with all manufacturers. I've received two identical guitars (Jacksons) with vastly different necks. I've also received Epiphone Les Pauls with the same issue - sold as a C profile but clearly a D profile.

I suppose its down to the necks being hand-finished, but really frustrating. Before I get flamed to death for this, I get that it matters more to some people than it does to others, and in the grand scheme of things its hardly a first world problem, but the reality is that for me at least an artist spec guitar should stay within the spec. Otherwise it's no longer an artist spec.

For the record, when I first played the recent Epiphone I bought with a neck like a club I hated it, and even made a 200 mile round trip to the store I bought it from (online) to compare all the other epiphones they had in stock to see if any others were better. They weren't, so I stuck with the original I bought. Two weeks later, and it's honestly no longer a problem from a feel point of view.

As I stated earlier though, if the artist spec neck is a certain size, then I feel that anything that doesnt match that spec is no longer to the spec of the model.

nojazzhere and T Prior like this.
  3. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Presumably weight is down to either the density of the wood, which I guess may be unavoidable; and the fact that extra material, however small, may be present on the neck?

4. T Prior

Its really nuts , last year ( August) when I was seeking the new Mason Guitar I ordered one from MF which was due in Nov they said, but I found one from a dealer the next day who had one in stock, so I bought it. It arrived a couple of days later and I loved it , so I was going to cancel the MF order, BUT, I got a message from MF that they shipped the guitar the day before ! So within 3 days I had two! And they were identical, in fact just 25 serial numbers apart. There was no way I was going to keep two, thats over 5 grand on my CC so I called all my friends to see if they wanted one. They all said NO. So I Eeny , meeny, miny , moe'd them and picked one to keep. sent the other back. when I say they were identical, I mean they were identical ! Go figure. I had two , the rest of the world had ZERO ! LOL :)

mfguitar likes this.
  5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I've never heard of Mason guitars.

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I believe that we are discussing the Brent Mason Telecaster, yes?

T Prior likes this.
  7. T Prior

Yes
    yes, Mason, as in short for Brent Mason Telecaster. But most already know this. IF someone doesn't then I apologize.

BRENT MASON TELECASTER which has been discussed for months on end right here because it was backordered since last August and sold for $2500 !

IMG_9879.JPG

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Who knows this?

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Being that we are on the biggest telecaster site there is, and further, in the 'Telecaster Discussion Forum" subforum...

most everyone

T Prior and teletail like this.
  10. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

My BMT weighs almost 9 Ibs. A bit heavy but I don't mind that, everything else is up to specification.

T Prior likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

That's surprising to me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.