1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The New Katana MKll,,,

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Shuster, Oct 3, 2019.

1. sirnobrain

sirnobrain TDPRI Member

Yeah... and Fender definitily sold hundreds of thousands of their product in the 50s, created hundreds of communities around their products, and able to ship updates and fixes to their line of products via software updates.

I don't mind if they invent a whole different platform, or give meaningful upgrade. Like POD and Helix, that's product improvement. Same platform, same speaker (only change the sticker), and they still weighted the same. Looks to me that this is just pure capitalism.

At least with cell phones, they upgrade most of the hardware too. This is basically just adding some more knobs and holes, the rest they can do with firmaware updates.

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Like every other company that exists, the purpose of Boss is to make money and they choose to do it buy making amps and pedals.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At least with the Pathfinder 15r amps, of which I own three, Vox just quit making them rather than update them. Vox knew that they couldn't improve on perfection! :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    foundjoe likes this.
  4. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I put these amps in the same category as Personal Computers, and Electronic Keyboards. They get introduced, become a hot item, 12 months later are near worthless. I've spent more than quite a tidy sum over the years on all these items. Technology keeps moving the bar for the better, and sometimes not. Unless you can keep pace with Software upgrades, it's practically to the scrap heap. On the plus side that 1965 Tele you may own..well, you got something unique. PS...I'm waiting for Fender to introduce the Tonemaster II Series of Deluxe Reverb and Twin...Now with Bluetooth or some other must have..(Yeah...I got burned on the Mustang Ver. 1 series)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    GoKart Mozart likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And they're always just one generation away from sounding "just like a tube amp".

6. GoKart Mozart

GoKart Mozart Tele-Meister

exactly what I was thinking. Joe Bonamassa had a really good Instagram post a few years back that this thread reminded me of.
    DD817EAB-9FD9-4DAE-8880-3D2974047C1A.jpeg

Durtdog, horax and blueruins like this.
  7. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

There was a major firmware update; I'm sure you can still install it.

I've been using other things this year, but today I was playing on the Brown channel in my K50 mk. I and it was so, so easy to get the sound I wanted. Vive le Boss, in my book.

8. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Line6 should have stuck with original Flextone I

9. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use a fraction of my Katana 50's features and I like the sounds it makes, so I won't be craving the Mark II. It looks like they thought it out very well, though. I like the concentric knobs. As long as they don't abandon software support for a few years, I'll be okay. For comparison, I have a motorcycle GPS from about 14 years ago, and updating the firmware and maps is no longer possible. But it still works unless a road has been eliminated...:confused:

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been there and done that with the Katana amps, didn't like the 50 watt combo, bought a 100 1-12, it was better, then got an Artist 100 1-12, better but by that point really bigger and heavier than I intended, and just too many bells and whistles. The onboard effects were just mediocre IMO, not nearly as good as stand alone pedals.

And even with each new Katana amp update they still do NOT sound as good as even a basic tube amp IME.

So I've lost interest, I'd rather have an amp with one or two really good sounds, don't need built in effects , computer to download and adjust features.

I'd rather just play my amp

11. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

Still no effects loop on the 50? Really?

12. rockntroll

rockntroll TDPRI Member

Anyone has an experience gigging with the katana 50 on clean? Can it keep up with a drummer?
    I'm interested in getting one for cleans and as a pedal platform. Not interested in the built in effects since i'm more of a pedal guy, but the 50 watts you get in that price range is kinda alluring

13. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Funny...been thinking about selling my k50 lately for a small tube amp.

Maybe it’s time?

14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Amen. Good work if you can get it.

The Cube 60 bottomed out at around $125 a few years ago. Then they started creeping back up.

I see quite a few going for $200. If i see a clean one for $125 I'll buy it. They absolutely work for me... And for the price of a decent overdrive pedal.

I use my Katana 100 for pedal steel. Before that i was using a Peavey Session 500 that is an industry standard for pedal steel, and 100% solid state.

I totally respect that you like what you like and you feel better served by tubes... But that doesn't mean that tubes are better. It just means that's what you like.

I think the Katana 50 is a nice practice amp. The 100 head is where it's at for me. I could probably be pretty happy with the 212 version, but then it would be heavier... The head is the right combination of features for me.

But I'm still not selling my 74 DR... LOL

15. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Katana III...12 months from now...Ha!

foundjoe and KWal like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It also ties into the main project management trend in software and engineering today, Agile (project management, not the guitar brand).

In Agile, everything is focused on releasing a viable product as fast as possible. One of the risks is it leading to unneeded updates just to keep the 'release train' going.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My 50 Watt Katana says Version 3 on the box. I love it and use it more than my Blackface Princeton Re-Issue.

JayFreddy likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I am still super puzzled by the people who are mad about this...your old Katana still works the same, people in the market for a new one have a slightly improved one to buy, Boss sells a few more amps than it did before. The photo of Leo in 1959 is hilarious - we are talking about a $200 practice amp, people! Comparing it to a bunch of ultra-classic, rare gear (which was also pretty expensive back in the day) is just so silly.
    BTW the lead guitarist in a band I saw last night (about 75 people in the audience) had a basic K50, miced up, as his only gear. Sounded fine, his guitar tone didn't really stand out as good or bad in any way.

BeatlesAreMyJam and JayFreddy like this.
  19. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I'm wondering if Joe also collects the late 60's solid state Fenders? How about Music Man amps? Lots of solid state there. Maybe the Lab Series L5, be like BB? I find his statement hilarious given he is hawking a $3500 "'59 Twin Amp JB Edition" at his web site. "Yeah! Don't use that new crap! Buy my pricey reproduction so that I profit from it!"

Saw a great Thunderbirds show years ago and Duke Robillard was playing through a small 4 channel Peavey solid state PA head into a Twin shell that was just being used as a speaker cabinet. He sounded great, fabulous tone. Maybe he should work out a deal with Peavey to do a signature reproduction model and sell it for $2000 or so?

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great, now I have to get one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.