The New Fender Electric Mando

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by getbent, Mar 4, 2013.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Anybody bought one yet? opinions?

I'm interested and the price is right.

[​IMG]

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

What's the price? Looks like it could be fun.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

299.00 I've got a 20% coupon too... so, like240.00...

just need to pull trigger!

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks like a guitar larva. Look, you can count the horns! Tuners aren't fully developed yet. They don't have 6 until the second molting.

It's cute. Guess it'd be easier to play than with 8 strings, but would it really sound like a mando without the double courses?

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Armadillo Guitar even makes a compensated saddle set too.

6. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Wow, I've wanted one of these since I was a 14 year old mandolin player trying to be heard in rock bands. There were none to be had, so I switched to guitar.

Looking forward to hearing the reviews!

7. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Does the new one come with a red-lined tweed case?

8. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

Sam Bush is playing something that looks like a Fender here. Sounds more like a geetar than a mando, but he's rocking out. :eek:

9. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

More like a high-pitched guitar.

D.H.

10. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Jim Richter with the new Fender - originally posted on the Mando Cafe.

D.H.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, now I get it. That does sound fun.

12. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

Very fun, but sounds nothing like a mandolin imo.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Chris, 4 and 5-string electric mandos are not usually played "bluegrass style" - they're more common in jazz, swing, alt-country and rock. There's a site called e-mando dedicated to nothing but electric mandolins, and very little of the music discussed (even though some of the instruments are 8-strings) sounds like what many would consider "mandolin music".

Then again, Jethro Burns played mostly 8-strings and hardly sounded like he was playing "mandolin music" either!

If you want an electric that sounds more lie a mandolin you can get a Rigel 8-string A+ Deluxe with built-in pickup - hangs easily with other top-of-the-line bluegrass mandolins acoustically and can also be plugged in when desired. I have one - and also the new Fender. Each has their place. And price - the Rigel is $2695 and the Fender under 300 bucks.

But Fender put out one heck of an electric mando for $300 street. A little work on the nut, some smoothing of the fretboard edges and it plays like butter. Sounds sorta like a little Gibson SG Special on the neck pickup - very warm with punchy upper mids. With electric 4-strings I recommend Jethro Burns book put out by Mel Bay, mainly for the chord charts.

With electric 4 strings traditional bluegrass chop chords sound harsh and the sustain of the onstrument is lost. Jethro played mostly 3-note chords - for extended chords he'd leave out the root and other "basic" notes (that the rest of the band fills in) and played the extended notes, and in majorand minor chords just the root, (relative) third and fifth. Keeps things from being too crowded and makes it a lot quicker to move around the neck to different inversions. Run a little analog chorus and analog delay through a warm-sounding tube amp and it's a cool instrument.

14. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Indeed, and depite the lack of the charming detuned string pairs my ears still hear a very distinctly mandolinesque timbre shining through there, no doubt due to the scale and standard tuning. Would love to have one simply for a potentially more stable player than my other mandolins (we've got some fairly extreme seasons over here) or when on the road. Will look forward to seeing more of this thing, as the $299 price tag may not be all that hard to justify.

15. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Texas Swing uses it.
    I love it

16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Strat player. Mando player. How am I going to escape buying one of these? B)

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One other note regarding 8 vs 4 string electric solid bodies:

There were some studies done a while back...may still be links on the emando site...that showed very interesting harmonic problems unique to 8-string/solid bodies. For some reason the hollow construction of and A or F style emphasizes certain harmonics and kills others of the unison notes, keeping the sound pleasing to the ear even though it's really never perfectly in tune.

But with a solid body instrument the harmonic emphasis is reversed, and most have what appear to be problems with basic tone and/or intonation. But what it really boils down to is that the out-of-kilter harmonics are pushed up front and the smooth, pleasing ones deadened.

It seems like snake oil until you read through the stuff. It's also not problematic to pairs tuned an octave apart (although they have their own set of issues). There have been some pretty unique combinations of wood, chambers and bridge designs to make 8-string solids workable - but regardless the harshness is hard to "dial out" and thus the 4 and 5 strings have become the solid body workhorses.

18. 2pointmandolin

2pointmandolin Tele-Meister

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I have to say it is FUN! $240.00 on ebay. It's much nicer than I was expecting and is set up pretty good as well. I need to tweak the intonation a little. I sat in front of my pedal board and had a blast going through different effects. Add a little chorus and you don't really miss the extra strings. I do need to learn some new songs on the mando as most of what I know is old time or bluegrass oriented.

19. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.