The Nevers - Netflix

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i really liked it but i thought it was stupid to only show 6 episodes. what in the world do they think they gained by doing that?

anyhow, there was a lot i liked about it. whoever wrote it and put it together was really good.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
i really liked it but i thought it was stupid to only show 6 episodes. what in the world do they think they gained by doing that?

Studios are still trying to figure out how to release shows online. One of the prevalent ideas is that to spread out the release drives people to talk about it to their friends and create 'buzz' for the next episode. I suspect they are correct (they have the statistics to verify/disprove me) and we will see more shows being released in a staggered pattern.

This is a good thing IMO, because, as we have seen over and over with Netflix, great shows get cancelled when the release strategy fails. Slowing the release down to draw in viewers is good for everyone.

tonyp145

Tele-Holic
My wife and I really enjoyed the Nevers, can’t wait for the rest of the episodes to drop. I wish it was on Netflix, then we could just watch them an episode a night. With HBO you get one episode per week. Not a fan. So even after they finally give it to us we have to wait 6 weeks before we’ll start watching.

Currently watching Dark on Netflix. Really great supernatural thriller, very well written, incredible plot. But it’s German so you either watch it dubbed or with subtitles. We opted for the latter. Either way I highly recommend it.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I like " Shameless". The morality, or lack thereof, is so humorous.
What Frank, indeed all the characters, won't do for their own personal agenda and gain is boundless.
Better than the original British version it was based on.;)

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
In spite of my distaste for dystopia/fantasy/especially ANYTHING steampunk, I watched it when my wife did and didn’t hate it.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Studios are still trying to figure out how to release shows online. One of the prevalent ideas is that to spread out the release drives people to talk about it to their friends and create 'buzz' for the next episode. I suspect they are correct (they have the statistics to verify/disprove me) and we will see more shows being released in a staggered pattern.

This is a good thing IMO, because, as we have seen over and over with Netflix, great shows get cancelled when the release strategy fails. Slowing the release down to draw in viewers is good for everyone.

I am halfway through part one of the OA. Love it. Looked it up only to find it was planned for 5 parts and cancelled after 2. Darn it. Only hoping there is some level of closure. (No spoilers please!)

HappyMangle

TDPRI Member
One of the best shows i watched lately! But in general HBO doesn't offer a lot of great content to be honest. There are much better streaming services on my firestick. At the moment i have already too much of them and trying to organise it using this guide.

Last edited:

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
HBO has a poor track record with series IMO. Season 1 of Westworld was pretty good and then it all went to hell after that. The Nevers seems to be on the same track, as it was very good for the several episodes and then took a very bad u-turn and got all stupid sci-fi at the end of the season. The other thing that HBO and Showtime both do (Homeland anyone?) is only have 8 episodes per season, and then they make you wait 1 1/2 to 2 years for another season, to the point where you don't give a s**t anymore if it returns or not. And, I pray to God that abomination called Perry Mason never ever returns. I'm still trying to get the vomit out of my carpet from that one. And, I'm sick and tired of hearing about new series on Netflix. I pay enough for entertainment that should be free already and I ain't gonna subscribe to another service or buy new hardware so I can watch a series on my TV instead of my laptop. I feel the same way about Spotify, I-Tunes, and all the other BS music streaming services. I'll stick with my cable and CDs thank you.

dswo

Tele-Holic
And, I pray to God that abomination called Perry Mason never ever returns.

Characters with super powers leave me cold now. I don't have a coherent theory of why.

What didn't you like about Perry Mason? Combined with Bosch, it's a composite picture of Los Angeles. It looks great, and I like the guy from The Americans. Is it that his characters are always sad? The rest of the cast was good too. I thought the Aimee Semple McPherson/Kathryn Kuhlman character was well-drawn, and fair to what I have seen of that world.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
As described, it doesn't really appeal to me, but maybe I'll give it a chance. I tried Station Eleven, and didn't care for it. I read the book a year or so ago, and just really didn't care for the TV adaptation. I really hate the whole "time jumping' thing that a lot of shows do. Maybe I'm too dense, I just can't keep up with what's going on.