THE NERVES HAVE KICKED IN. IT'S GETTING NEAR.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Any time we face our nerves and join the fray, we get stronger and happier. You'll be fine, K. Have fun.

Doctor of Teleocity
Brilliant.
Where is that from?
From this morning as I was waking up, haha. I was just remembering what it felt like, doing those shows for so long.

The best I could do was forgive myself, forgive others, ask to be forgiven, and then go out with confidence and no fear, not thinking, and with the belief that I was born for this.

Good luck with your gig.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I'm familiar with the head space but conquered it one time after a so-so gig, laying in bed, tossing and turning and torturing myself with ever misstep of the night. Then it occurred to me; is there anyone who attended that gig laying awake right now, thinking "boy, that guitar player sure clammed that one part"?

Sounds like you've prepared, now relax and have some fun.

kuch

Tele-Holic
First gig in 5 years this Saturday. My neighbours Art Centre/Park grand opening and I'm doing three 1hr long sets between 5pm and the wee hours to 150 people. Most important attendees are 2 of my grand kids; most of the others are art/media/journalism types.

I've never felt this unready. Spent all day making up wiring looms, making online express delivery purchases where bits of equipment have been found to be unrepairable or too risky, programming effects boards/guitar synth, and sorting out niggles on my guitars.

I just want to get rehearsing in my usual way which is one flawless run through of each song which equals one overtightened nerve of my body slackened off.

I've only managed 3 consecutive vertical days due to my condition for a month now, so I'm having to watch the fatigue levels. Otherwise I'd be quite happy to pull a few long shifts. I've added a 3rd 4 hour sleep to my usual 2 to compensate.

Too add to that, the day after the gig, I'm going on holiday (the beautiful Moray coast), my first in 10 years.
The holiday won't be one of those relaxing ones; it me, Mrs K and 4 hyper grandkids aged 8, 6, 4 and 2. Mrs K is taking 2 of them up on Saturday and I'll follow on with the other 2 on Sunday. That stuff needs organised too since my aspie brain won't allow for less than military precision.

Does anybody have some brain and body power they could lend me?
I promise I'll pay you back with interest. I'm an honourable soul.

Happy Gilmore: Find your happy place....

If you can find a quiet place in the next week, sit with your eyes closed, breathe deeply, and visualize the whole scenario with everything going smoothly and easily.....

When you take the stage, relax, breathe deeply, and if you have to, force yourself to smile :)

Works for me.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
It's going to be great.

You don't forget how to do this stuff- and the rust comes off, during the first few bars of your opener. Nice home crowd, no intense focus, on your performance......

Remember to take a rest, between sets. Your gear sounds prepped, so take your time over the sound check.

All that ease and fluidity....it'll just come flooding back. :cool:

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
As for the gig...state to yourself 3x "I am, I do, I will" and then take a nap....its all there and you are ready.

As for the grandkids...old age and treachery...give them kids some adventure to do...like dig holes on the beach looking for pirate booty or snipe hunting.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Not surprised you'd be nervous after 5 years but I've a feeling that once you're there all that will begin to fade quickly and you'll be right at home. Sending all good vibes your way. We'll be with you in spirit. Play your heart out brother!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
So do the first couple sets straight.
Then open the third set by ripping off your shirt to reveal your newly pierced nipples and grab a bottle of Jack and yell "Free Bird!"
Nobody will remember a note of what you played or didn't play right ...
And at least you'll have the bottle of Jack to ease the pain.
(Remember - free advice is worth the price.) 👀

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
If you don't act like you made a mistake, nobody will know you made a mistake. If you're the only one who notices you made a mistake, then everything will have gone absolutely fine.

And of course, free internet advice is worth a good deal less than you paid for it. But best wishes anyway. ;)

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
First gig in 5 years this Saturday. My neighbours Art Centre/Park grand opening and I'm doing three 1hr long sets between 5pm and the wee hours to 150 people. Most important attendees are 2 of my grand kids; most of the others are art/media/journalism types.

I've never felt this unready. Spent all day making up wiring looms, making online express delivery purchases where bits of equipment have been found to be unrepairable or too risky, programming effects boards/guitar synth, and sorting out niggles on my guitars.

I just want to get rehearsing in my usual way which is one flawless run through of each song which equals one overtightened nerve of my body slackened off.

I've only managed 3 consecutive vertical days due to my condition for a month now, so I'm having to watch the fatigue levels. Otherwise I'd be quite happy to pull a few long shifts. I've added a 3rd 4 hour sleep to my usual 2 to compensate.

Too add to that, the day after the gig, I'm going on holiday (the beautiful Moray coast), my first in 10 years.
The holiday won't be one of those relaxing ones; it me, Mrs K and 4 hyper grandkids aged 8, 6, 4 and 2. Mrs K is taking 2 of them up on Saturday and I'll follow on with the other 2 on Sunday. That stuff needs organised too since my aspie brain won't allow for less than military precision.

Does anybody have some brain and body power they could lend me?
I promise I'll pay you back with interest. I'm an honourable soul.
We are all in your corner.
Just play the dang songs.

IMHO- Once you hit that first note, everything will fall back in to place.

~ST