The neck that's twisted the right way..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Mar 22, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I've got two guitars with twisted necks. One just came in the mail from canada, and I think I'm going to use it to experiment. The first one is the second neck that I made, and I sawed the neck but didn't let it hang for a while because I was in a rush and just wanted to make it.

Both of them have twisted so that if you were holding the guitar against your belly, the first fret on the bottom is twisted in toward you rather than away.

I'm surprised how well they play, but the one I made, I'll be pitching, other than maybe to experiment with fattening fret tangs on one end and seeing if I can mitigate some of the twist with frets. The neck is already as thin as I want it, so I'm not going to let it hang for a while and then come back, pull the fretboard and plane it straight and hope it doesn't twist again - it's too easy to make another neck to faff with that. But, it would be interesting to see if I can get most of the twist out some other way that doesn't involve ignoring the reality of wood movement.

The seller who sold me the first guitar (a cort pag-1, not exactly a common guitar) didn't mention the twist at all. Since they're in canada and it was a huge pain just to get the guitar (due to signing restrictions and lack of communication between the origin shipper and the deliverer - UPS), I told the seller that I was disappointed that they didn't mention the twist and that I wouldn't have bought it. It was a few hundred dollars, though, and not worth making a big stink over because i like the rest of the guitar...

...and it plays fine.

I wouldn't keep it if it was twisted in the opposite direction.

From a geometric perspective, the neck is straight along the high side and then looks like it's been given truss rod relief along the low side. An interesting situation that actually works pretty well.

Anyone else ever encounter this and think through it? though it's not a problem for playing, it makes the guitar basically salvage if I ever decide I don't want it. I would describe it just as it is, even if it's not a problem, and in my experience, that results in no buyers. Which is as it should be if there are plenty of good-shape alternatives.

2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a cheap 1960s Teisco that has a twisted neck.
    Amazingly it plays very well and doesn't buzz.
    Forget which way the twist is, I need to dig it out and check...

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

On that homemade neck: You can never fight the way the wood naturally wants to warp, no magic way to fix that. Best I can think of would be to pop off the fingerboard, give it some time, glue on a thick board, give it some time, machine/sand the fingerboard to the right shape, fret. Which is not quite as much work as making another neck as at least you're not messing with the truss rod.

But to get a neck quick, like you said, might as well start over with older wood and more patience.

Me, I screw up my guitars with finishing impatience!
    If that Cort plays great, then so what if it looks funny? Most people will never notice it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.