The Mystery of Kurt Cobain's Fender Jaguar's former owner solved?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Jun 27, 2014.

1. dreambrother37

dreambrother37 NEW MEMBER!

What a trip! I had just gotten my Kurt Cobain Jag a few weeks ago and was explaining to a friend that the original owner of Kurt's Jag was a huge mystery and not five minutes later, I find this thread. I've been wanting to know the answer to that question since I was about 10 years old (I'm 31 now). It's pretty cool to think that those of us in this thread are some of the first people in the world to know that Jag's true origins! Thanks so much for the awesome detective work!

2. freshthreat

freshthreat Tele-Meister

Whoa! That's the guitar no doubt!

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread might have the highest inverse ratio of posts to views I've ever seen.

4. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

:cool:

5. Dobbins

Dobbins TDPRI Member

That's some impressive detective work! I had always thought that the lower strap button was strange. Perhaps also strange that Kurt didn't remove it?

There is a lot of talk on other forums about the dots/binding neck. I've just noticed that John Frusciante's green 65 Jag also had dots/binding.

Still, it's ironic that Fender are reproducing this guitar with Kurt's name on when he didn't modify it at all, and it may be ironic that they are copying a neck that isn't actually genuine Fender!!

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Reading comprehension

Cool!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

coolest part IMHO

8. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

This is definitely one of the coolest threads I've ever stumbled across.

9. Dobbins

Dobbins TDPRI Member

Two further observations...

If you look at footage from 1991 when KC first started playing the Jag, you'll notice that it's in immaculate condition considering that it was used live by Jenner and was 25+ years old. Compare it to a lot of other mid 60s Fenders and half the finish is often missing..

Secondly, someone on another forum says that they have had first hand experience with this actual Jag and that the dots and binding neck was a genuine Fender part, albeit not original to the Jag. This would make sense as the original tuners off this neck were apparently replaced.

10. Dobbins

Dobbins TDPRI Member

One shiny Jag sans gaffer tape:

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But let's be honest, Jenner wasn't the kind of player who would toss his guitar around, he probably would wipe it down after use and gently put it back in the case.

Cobain once jokingly remarked that the Jaguar was the guitar he babied, cleaned up after use and really looked after but both Novoselic and guitar tech Ernie Bailey say otherwise, Kurt NEVER cleaned the guitar, it ended up being tossed into the drumkit a couple of times, a cup of cantaloupe juice was spilled over it, which never was wiped from it making the guitar stink.

A few years in Cobain's possession and Jenner's Jag was being put to the acid test every night but it always turned the other cheek. In fact the only thing that was damaged beyond repair was the bridge pickup, which was replaced by a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker.

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Indeed. Too cool.

13. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Sorry to revive a dead post, but I love this thread! Kurt is the reason I started to get real with my music. I have a cobain NOS jaguar, the one without any dings (well, now it has dings :D) and it's awesome to know the history of this guitar. He probably replaced the neck at some point and that's why there's that odd spaghetti logo on the headstock. Wonder were that guitar is now. It's definitely a legend. I feel like it should be passed down further. Put it in a pawn shop for some other kid to find.

14. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Well I watched the full video

My condolences....

15. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

pretty sure the guitar player from hole has it.
    eric erlandson- at least he did have it anyway.

16. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Sheesh! Kurt wrote some good songs, and led an interesting band, but he wasn't that great a guitar player. Interesting? Kinda. But I couldn't possibly care less.

17. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I agree to an extent, he wasn't a good guitarist, and he had an iffy voice, but that isn't the point is it? ;)

18. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

it was more about the mood. Also, there are some really monster riffs that he's written. He's no Beethoven for sure, as 99% of his music is power chords. Still though, I feel as though people had something to say and Kurt was the voice that said it. This is an instance where it's not all about guitar. It's about the music and the message it is putting across.

19. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

exactly. the guy never set out to be a great guitarist. great guitarists are a dime a dozen. he made music that people like to listen to.
    theres a half dozen guys nobody ever heard of, living within a km of me, who could play circles around kurt.
    but give me kurt flailing away and screaming his head off over the music most great guitarists make anyday.
    im more interested in music than technical chops.
    and a lot of folks feel the same way.
    likely millions of them.

this same conversation goes on all the time in guitar forums.
    the fact is, the guy played guitar.
    and he mostly played interesting guitars.
    so he gets talked about.

20. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

trip down memory lane. as i grew up in heart of grunge.. we were listening to it in small bars etc.. before it was even on the radio.. growing up in the northwest. its weird watching that video looking at my generation.. now thinking we are all in our 40s-50s range.. generation X.

and its also weird to say.. I came into style once with out even trying. hah. we just wore levis, and flannel T shirts because of the weather not because we were trying to make a fashion statement.. and we had long hair cause well northwest enjoys herb :p and we were young.. well hell i still have long hair, so i guess because our parents were 70s flower children. heh.

i always laugh when people bash kurts guitar playing, he would bash it him self.. he always thought of him self as a song writer.. and grudge as most know was just a back lash ( making fun of hair metal etc which was more pop that pop ) to the music industry and all the 80s shredders and perfected formula's to sell records etc ( heh the dollar sign on the mixing board,.. just push it down joe and we have our hit.. ok sid.. done deal man.. where is the beer and the women.. ! ).. well thats my interpretation. :D
    heh.

its weird getting old enough to be able to think back about a pivotal point in time and wonder, what if.. heh.
    chrs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.