1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The music you're playing now, is it what you were playing when you started out?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JL_LI, Jul 4, 2018.

1. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

I still like the music I started out on, acoustic folk, but through the years have branched out into other styles as well .....

JL_LI likes this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Charlie, I can't believe you found and reopened this thread. I hear you about jazz. I haven't played jazz specifically since college on a bass fiddle. I play mostly country and country influenced now but the jazz never left me. A lot of what's cool in jazz is the transition chords, those cool sounding chords that you can use to transition on the first and third beats of the measure between the chords we all hear. Those chords make the music interesting to play and to listen to even by people who have no idea why they like it. Jazz solos? I sometimes use jazz licks and time changes. I play a 3/4 time swing jazz solo in the middle of Let Me Down Easy, a 4/4 love song. The 3/4 swing solo is like a quickie... it feels so good and then it's over. I play jazzy outros to end some songs that on the record just fade away. I'm not good enough to play an extended jazz solo but that doesn't mean that adding jazz elements to what I play can't be fun. I don't think you wake up one day wanting to play jazz. Sometimes it just sneaks into what you're playing.

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Don't be cryin' 'bout that. ;):D:lol:

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I never thought there was country in the UK until I heard Sasha McVeigh. Anyone else you can recommend? I'm always on the lookout for new (to me) music. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  5. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I started out learning Classical music my first 6 years. Then the Beatles and Stones came out which I was in many bands. After Nam I got lucky
    And Ira Newborn (a high school friend) asked if I wanted to do soundtracks for movies. I jumped on it. A good life as a session Guitarist. Now I am retired and play whatever I like from Clapton to Greta Van Fleet. Yet most of my friends no longer play.

thunderbyrd and JL_LI like this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Anyone remember John Pearse's BBC series Hold Down a Chord. Series 2 was on fingerpicking and the second programme was shown the second day I owned a guitar in Jan 1969. My Creole Belle from Mississippi John Hurt and I was entranced. To play with his (apparent) simplicity is still my goal.

Also I wanted to play things like John Renbourn on "Sir Johnalot of Merrie England's Music Thing..." Hahahaha...

viccortes285 and JL_LI like this.
  7. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Well I mostly listen to American country to be honest! The local country music scene is small, but growing - but it’s broken down to the “official” country circuit of old clubs and even older punters who don’t want to hear anything written after 1971, and then a less coherent but pretty active younger demographic who like what’s coming out of Nashville these days but wouldn’t really call themselves country music fans.

In terms of bands, there’s a few doing original stuff - most of it still not up there with the better stuff on your side of the pond but there’s one or two doing not bad work, probably the best (out of those I’ve seen) are the Wandering Hearts.

British country music always feels like it has a lot more folk in the mix than American - probably because there is a relatively strong tradition of folk here compared to straight-up country. So it’s a little folky but pretty good.

JL_LI and viccortes285 like this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I loved blues music since I was a kid. Starting out with Cream and Hendrix, graduating to Muddy, Buddy, BB, T-Bone, Elmore, Etc. Up here in Maine, at least the crowd I hang with these days, blues has fallen far from favor. Eye rolls and yawns are the common reaction to a 12 bar shuffle. Sooo, now I play mostly country-rock, folk-rock, old guy rock. The fashion these days is to find cool old songs and resurrect them. Recently we play things like, The World is a Ghetto, Share the Land, Almost Cut My Hair, Stones and Beatles stuff.

All those years banging away at the minor pentatonic. Now, no one wants to be that guy, a pathetic Blooze Daddy.

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I play a variety of styles depending on the setting. I would say, yes, I still play a lot of what I started out playing, but I have expanded my repertoire over the years considerably and my current band is playing mostly original rock and roll music.

10. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

As a kid I loved the Beach Boys, Willie Nelson, And Kiss. 35 years later... Still love to jam like the Beach Boys, Willie Nelson and KISS.

JL_LI and viccortes285 like this.
  11. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I've just added to what I play as I've gone on. Started playing southern gospel in church then went into country and southern rock and have just kept going from there.

12. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Yep! I started learning to likes of Green Day, Offspring, Guns,n Roses, Iron Maiden, played in a metal band.

Now I play more modern country (Keith Urban etc), and more laid back acoustic Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, etc

JL_LI likes this.
  13. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

The first song I ever played with a band was in 1979: “Sweet Home Alabama”. The first song I played last Tuesday at band rehearsal was “Sweet Home Alabama”.

viccortes285 likes this.
  14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Considering I started playing Polkas and Waltz Music on Accordion at 5 1/2.

NO

15. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Like a lot of people, I got interested in music in my early teens... inspired by what was new and exciting in music at the time. It was a whole grass roots thing with punk rock and new wave music that was really appealing and made me want to start playing and be a part of it.

Almost immediately, though, I started hanging out with other people who played music and I started identifying less with the new music trends and more with just being a musician in general. I started listening to music just as music, and not as an identity thing. It helped that most of my musician friends weren't into the same stuff as I was, so they turned me on to all kinds of cool stuff... old music that I had never heard.

I had grown up listening to country music. My dad had loads of records going back to at least 10 years before I was born... a lot of the best vintage, classic country music. So that's the music that really started influencing and inspiring me... still does.

viccortes285 likes this.
  16. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

no i was a pure metal head now i like a little of everything

17. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Picked up a guitar in 1984 (I was 19) - at the time I was listening to Def Leppard, Journey, Styx, Kansas, Aldo Nova.

I was so far away from attaining that skill with the time/resources I had available.

Eventually found a great teacher and headed into the world of artificial harmonics and dive bombing floyds.

Through the years I slipped into early 90's Americana and singer songwriters.

I'd begun naturally incorporating additional notes into my basic power chords and recognised I was heading into funk albeit still with masses of distortion - Stevie Salas Colorcode, Dan Reed network.

A 3 year interlude when I played only synths in an original band.

I had all the scales/modes I ever needed, however, always playing in major scale rather than pentatonic.

Never learned any songs other than cover band stuff so I always sound like me.

Now I'm in a disco/pop/funk cover band - my self imposed rule is no guitar solos (though we often have keyboard solos) - I have a weird take on funky clean lines randomly interspersed with distorted harmonics/dive bombs.

People in the band love it because they are too young to have lived through it the first time.

Started on Telecasters moved to Strats and still have an old Japan Charvel for extreme wangbar abuse

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an original rockabilly/jump band. And we got booked in a punk club, with a bunch of punk bands. So we had one rehearsal doing everything a lot faster and louder, and it was so much fun, we never turned back

True story

19. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Started out playing harmonica, then guitar, any kind of music I heard. Dad played a little attempted Dixieland trumpet, mom played piano, mostly 40s and 50s popular songs, and Dad and I stood around the piano, Dad with a ukulele and me with my Airline/Stella acoustic playing along. 5 Foot 2, Don't Fence Me In, etc.. Garage band Beatles, Ventures, etc.. Years playing in Top 40 bands (remember those?), jazz bands and wedding bands on bass, years fronting rock and country bands. Although I mostly play bass in a worship band, I also play piano in a big (8 or 9 piece) country/ swing band and backing a girl singer. In other words, yes, still playing the same stuff...everything I can find!

20. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

Dead Flowers was the first song I learned when taking lessons back in 1973.
    And of course I still play it.
    I'm going to play it right now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.