1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The music you're playing now, is it what you were playing when you started out?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JL_LI, Jul 4, 2018.

1. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Your new band w the Ric? That's something I'd like to hear!

Paul in Colorado and JL_LI like this.
  2. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

It started with the British Invasion we couldn't afford electrics we were always the acoustic act that warmed up for the warm up band.
    Now it has come around to... not sure what to call it, I haven't play with too many folks in a while, it's just morph into a style more than a form.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting stories. Growing up, my sisters and I heard a few basic types of music:
    • Swing - Danceable Jazz - played on my Dad's 100s of scratchy 78s; late-1920s to late-1940s span
    • Classical Music - everything from the Romantic Era forward;
    • Early-20th Century Pop Hits - that we mostly sang on long trips in the car or when camping; my Mom remembered all the words; "There's a long, long trail a-winding into the land of my dreams.." That's where I learned how to pick up harmonies.
    • Late-40s/Early-60s Era Country & Western Music - that I listened to on a transistor radio (AM) under my pillow at night cause my Dad "hated" country music, and
    • Eventually 60s Pop & Rock.
    • And then in the early-60s my Dad - for reasons I will never understand - decided that we needed to hear all sorts of Folk Music. He brought home stacks and stacks of 33-RPM records featuring big collections of British Isles and other European Folk/Traditional Music, and then stacks of Smithsonian and other field and studio recordings of American roots music - so Very Early Country/Old-Timey/Appalachian Music (despite my Dad hating post-WWII country music; go figure), old Work Songs, Border Ballads (English-Scottish), Spirituals, the late-50s Folk Scare (The Limelighters!), etc. He encouraged us to listen to all of this. And it was in these stacks of records that I, at about age 11, first heard acoustic country blues - from The Delta, from the Piedmont, from Texas,...and I was floored. I loved all of it! I bought a beater acoustic from a friend's older brother for $20 - he let me pay in installments as money dribbled in from my paper route job - and I learned how to play with a chord book, my Dad's records, and that same AM radio.
    • Over the years I've learned to like and hate all different types of music, but also to play and perform different genres on keyboards, guitars, other stringed instruments. But I still go back to that old fingerpicking blues. My first song posted on SoundCloud a few years ago was my lame take on Ain't Nobody's Business - but in my mind, at the age of 60, I was still just trying to capture that feel I heard way back when.

4. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I was trained in Classical at age 6 untill I turned 12 then found the Beatles and Stones Etc.
    Then went with Classic rock for 30 years.
    Now into Blues and have many genes I play.
    I guess we evolve with our music.

smartsoul72 and JL_LI like this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

“Where Have All The Flowers Gone”
    Dang right I still play it!

“Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow”
    Heel yes!

“Bell Bottom Blues”
    You bet!

Caught me! Damn!

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

As soon as I get the new tailpiece and the guitar strung up it'll be in the mix!

JL_LI and smartsoul72 like this.
  7. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

Yes and newer stuff as well. I will never stop learning and playing stuff from 50s/60s/70s probably newer stuff along with originals.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

Yes and newer stuff as well. I will never stop learning and playing stuff from 50s/60s/70s probably newer stuff along with originals.

JL_LI likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I don't really play the same music anymore, though I still do off and on. I started as a folkie in the 60s so it was only acoustic. Later I ran into the Blues and Blues-rock and I'm still there mostly. But I don't think I've ever really finished with the folkie thing...

JL_LI and smartsoul72 like this.
  10. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Seriously- i'd like to check it out. If you are able (and don't mind), send me a link! I havent figured out soundcloud, etc but I'm on FB. Thanks!

JL_LI and Paul in Colorado like this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Will do.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my case, what inspired me to start playing as a little tyke was seeing The Stray cats on TV.

So once I got my first band going at 14 that early Rock N Roll was what we were doing. That's me playing the Black tele copy.

Not that long after that performance, I discovered bands like Guns N Roses and embraced the whole Alternative rock scene, I still love it after all these years.

Currently I'm in a metal band but I'm thinking of quitting and starting up a band which brings me back to playing the Rock Music I loved so much as a Kid and teenager.

A new song, and again a very personal song, it's about my former best friend who I basically grew up with. During the last decade our friendship soured so I told him goodbye last year.

As I said before, the No Problem Kids was the name of my first band and he also was in it. This song is about recalling the good times before it all went awry and I used the phrase "Those days shall return when the No problem kids play again." as a metaphor, as in telling him the days shall never return.

But every so now and then I just go back to the bands like the Stray cats and the Romantics and the music which awoke the musician in me.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    JL_LI likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I discovered those 3 chords and that was IT.
    Chuck Berry, Muddy, Wolf, The Kings....
    I pray that I don't get hit on the head one day and wake up wanting to play Jazz.
    The harp player who hires me asked me to learn the changes to Georgia on my Mind, and I can't even do it.
    Too many freakin' chords!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    JL_LI likes this.
  14. DTBlues

DTBlues Tele-Meister

I started out in a metal band 94..Moved into the grunge era 97....Now I play blues and country:cry::cry:

JL_LI likes this.
  15. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Geez - I think it's all about the same for me - perhaps a few "newer" songs got added over the years; new being later Tom Petty, Traveling Wilburys stuff -
    Still pretty much hippy music from the 60's and 70's with a variety of classic and british blues thrown in -
    Funny it doesn't change much when I jump to acoustic gigs either. Guess that I'm on a narrow path of music that I'm comfortable playing gig to gig.

JL_LI likes this.
  16. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it's probably only like 3 MORE chords Charlie - maybe more if you count minor and 7th chords in there... but If you can do blues, you can do Georgia

JL_LI likes this.
  17. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I started at classical guitar and migrated to the blues fairly quickly thereafter. From there onto jazz. It has been a 4 decade trip. About 25 years ago I realized that jazz was all that I was interested in. Playing wise, anyway. Listening wise can be anything except crap.

viccortes285 and JL_LI like this.
  18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i started out playing REM and the clash. for the past few months the tele is left in the corner and i'm playing open g slide. i also rescued a nicer-than-mine mandolin from my father in law, and i bought a bouzouki both for the trad irish music session i play in. i actually haven't plugged anything into an amp in quite a while now that i think about it.

JL_LI likes this.
  19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm still trying to learn "wildwood flower" and "ghost riders in the sky".

Stringbanger and JL_LI like this.
  20. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Like the OP I came to Country via the long route - in this case England, so even further away from Nashville.

I started off playing blues and rock but I kept finding that every time I researched a player who’s style I liked their influences always led back to Country. So I started checking out those influences and then just found I liked that style more.

Still play blues and rock of course, but I think of myself as a country guitarist more than anything these days.

viccortes285 and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.