The music you're playing now, is it what you were playing when you started out?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JL_LI, Jul 4, 2018.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

A fellow TDPRI member replied to a few of my posts recently. One thing he alluded to is my love of country music. Truth be told, I grew up on Long Island. NEW YORK! I only heard country music on television and couldn't fathom those country singers in their outlandish getups. In college I played bass for gas money one semester for a local singer who sang a mix of standards and what I recognize now as early country music. One semester I played jazz on a double bass. Most of what I played in college though was coffee house folk/rock backing myself with an electric guitar because that's what I had. I left music after I got married in 1974. A LP and Gemini VI almost got us evicted from a suburban apartment complex. I bought an Ovation acoustic but couldn't get into it. I stopped playing, sold the LP and Ampeg, and focused on earning a living in the sciences.

Fast forward... I did a lot of traveling in the 90's, more than 100,000 air miles each year. This lasted well into the 2000's. I passed the time with in flight entertainment. I hated 80's and 90's pop/rock. I started listening to American Airlines Channel 6, the country music channel. It amazed me how everyone sang in tune. There was incredible musicianship. I loved that what I was listening to was really stories set to music, an extension of the music of the troubadours. And as I listened, I loved the guitar work... enough to get me playing again. I brought the Ovation up from the basement and started playing. My finger tips hurt like he!!. I bought a Nashville Telecaster from an eBay ad and never looked back. I learned songs. I taught myself finger style. I bought a Gretsch Anniversary. Country music needs a Gretsch and a Telecaster. Over the years I added two more guitars, upgraded my amp and found an acoustic I could love. There's more to the story than this, but you get the idea. I'm interested in how others have come to play what they're playing now. I've talked to jazz guitarists who've always wanted to play jazz so I know it's not always about change. For sure, it's always about growth. Let's share our stories. I hope this will be an interesting thread.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A fascinating musical journey @JL_LI . Mine is definitely not as dramatic, but perhaps just as unusual in a similar fashion.

I grew up in the early rock Mecca of the SF Bay Area of the 60s going to every performance and concert that I could. My BF and I pooled our money together to buy a huge beat up Dewey Weber surf board and after our first excursions in the waves near Santa Cruz, we became surf and surf guitar fans above anything else. Went to every surf band concert possible with Dick Dale as my guitar hero. I was in school orchestras as second violin for five years. The guitar did not suit me then, but I learned that I was not learning how to play music with the violin, but just learning how to read music and play notes.:oops:

During my intense years as an Engineering student at the best surfing college that accepted me (I had my choice. Yup, a nerd with great SAT scores:rolleyes:), I turned the radio off at the slightest hint of what I call, the VH era. As my career got going, I decided to learn music by ear and selected the Native American flute, because at the time there was no written music for it that I knew of and was completely different than my classical training. This is when my songwriting started. I finally got my first guitar (an electric) and became a surf guitar fanatic. Gigged some, but always challenging myself.

My years as a violinist paid off as my fretting fingers are blazingly quick (still my best guitar asset). I started to realize that my favorite rock and surf of the 60s was all blues based. In the 60s, my sister played the Beatles in her room, while I played the Stones in mine. Ever since then, I have focused on only blues/blues rock in many alternate tunings. I then self taught myself to become a fingerpickin blues player and went back to the roots of Robert Johnson and others of that era and have become a serious student of that era. Have done some gigs in Celtic with a local acoustic group just to sharpen my skills and learn more about other forms of music, enjoying rhythm styles (surf is almost all lead stuff) and techniques more than ever.

Okay, enough.o_O:lol:

3. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

I started classical with an old teacher in a small room. Tweed coat, tie the whole bit rapping on the music stand with a stick as we went through the Mel Bay system.

I have moved on over the decades.

JL_LI and Toadtele like this.
  4. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

From punk and Metallica, to Bobby Fuller Four, Wilburys and some Cars. Still like the other stuff, too.

Flakey and JL_LI like this.
  5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but I've improved (hopefully) at it.

thegeezer and JL_LI like this.
  6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I had a some what odd soundtrack growing up, my parents listened to different things, my mom listened to a "oldies" station (in the mid/late 70's that was pop music back into the early 50s up thru the early 60's but no BI) So I heard Elvis, JLL, Buddy Holly etc.. My dad listened to a "Full Service" station that played everything from concert band music, to classic country/bluegrass to swing and Broadway stuff. I had friends who had older siblings that had a lot of Woodstock era classic rock , and older cousins who had folk and BI stuff. I played a little of all that stuff and still do, I have added a bit of Bop to my jazz playing, and I have added some punk, and new wave to my rock book, along with "college" type stuff, but I still can do a retirement home gig Sat AM, an society jazz gig in the afternoon, and a rockabilly (or jazz or ..whatever) gig at night.

JL_LI likes this.
  7. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes and no. My early inspirations were Monkees reruns, the Beatles, hand me down Cream records, the Who and Cheap Trick. I started playing in the mid ‘80’s and from that point until the early 2000’s I would’ve have described myself as a classic rock/blues rock guitarist.

In 2001 I hooked up with a local jazz guitarist/teacher that a friend was studying with. I always appreciated jazz but remember telling him how I couldn’t get into that muffled guitar sound!

Present day I’m still studying with the same teacher, really into it and not that excited at times to slam through a some of the classic and most of the modern rock I play occasionally with some friends. The drummer, though, has a wide range of tastes in music. We’ve gotten together to play jazz standards which has been fun but due a bunch of reasons hasn’t developed past that.

My ideal/dream concept would be to do some sort of Beatle-esque/power pop with some stretching out in a jazz way collaboration type of thing.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I first learned to play Bluegrass and fiddle tunes. Once I started moving on to other forms of music it was a real challenge to explore rhythms beyond "boom-chick" and also to not play every note as loud as I could. Blazing speed is a feature of bluegrass lead guitar, but subtle dynamics not so much. Moved on to 80s and 90s rock/pop cover bands and now I just play whatever I want. Guitar is not a big part of my life in terms of playing and performing, but it is still a huge stress release for me, so when I have a few minutes, I noodle on everything from Billy Joel to Bach. Whatever makes me happy in the moment.

JL_LI likes this.
  9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

I started off in full blown punk rock mode. While i still play some of that, I am always trying to learn new things, even genres that I don't like. I wouldn't say punk defines me.

JL_LI likes this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

found my way back to my roots and loving it..in the studio for a full CD and then on the road...Gibsons into Marshalls..hard rock..sorta tried to be who i was not for a bit and got lost... wanna rock before i am too old...guitar driven rock...

JL_LI likes this.
  11. flatcat

flatcat Tele-Meister

OHHHH no -
    nn-no no no no no no

JL_LI likes this.
  12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I started out with The Ventures mostly - so a lot has changed for me.

Mostly anything tasteful is what I try to play these days from country, ambient to rock and blues.

dobrojoe and JL_LI like this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ventures/Link Wray and surf/space/punk/rockabilly/post rock? Yes, yes I am.

Sollipsist and JL_LI like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah. In my high school days I played Wipeout, a passable Pipeline, Apache, Walk Don't Run, some Beatles and Rolling Stones and Rascals. None of us could sing well enough to attempt Beach Boys. It wasn't really in a garage band. We had to lug our stuff, including a Farfisa Combo Compact organ up and down the basement stairs. Garages were for storage. I don't remember one that ever had a car in it or a floor you could see. Thanks for triggering long forgotten memories!

thegeezer likes this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nope.
    The stuff I loved when I started trying to play in 1967 (yikes!) is now just a nice memory.
    I play all kinds of (mostly), uh, American music.
    The common stuff, country, rock, blues, and jazz (it’s still too smart for me).
    Radio rock is dead, or in the hospice.
    My favorite stuff is original songs, either mine or my friend’s.
    I almost never play with an overdriven tone anymore.
    I miss it, a little, but nobody seems to want to hear me play it.
    Here’s a funny, true anecdote.
    I was doing a gig with my friend Tracie recently.
    We had a decent crowd, and we were starting to engage them.
    She suggested I turn up, and rock out.
    I did, a little.
    The sound guy came out of his booth/lair instantly, and turned my amp down from 4 to 2.
    Rock and roll!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    JL_LI, asatfan and Teddyjack like this.
  16. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Sort of, but learning how things are put together limits me in ways I wouldn’t have understood when I was starting out.

JL_LI likes this.
  17. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Grew up with blues based music through the late 60's and into the 70's played in bands that did everything from Paul Butterfield to Queen, (quite the gamut). After my band days, I got into acoustic blues heavily, eventually got back into electric and it's still blues based but now I'm going for a more "uptown" sound ala Ford and Carlton.

Grant Austin and JL_LI like this.
  18. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Started off playing Grateful Dead covers almost exclusively, now play all originals. If I had to categorize what I write/play, it would be Americana with a tinge of hard-ish rock.

Ben-Zion and JL_LI like this.
  19. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nope. I've definitely changed throughout the past couple of decades. I started out fascinated by heavier rock, early metal, my dad's BB King records, and anything I saw on Hee Haw.

I played, almost exclusively, early blues for many many years.

Now it's mostly traditional jazz like Charlie Christian and some crazy country-jazz like Jimmy Bryant. Go figure.

Grant Austin, smartsoul72 and JL_LI like this.
  20. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Dramatically changed over the years...I'm actually pretty terrible now at playing what I used to play.

I learned to play guitar by watching videos of Kurt Cobain, over and over until I could mimic what he was doing. I took some lessons to expand upon what I was doing. I started a decent punk/grunge band and played with them until about 2002. I can't rock like that anymore, it just doesn't sound authentic.

I got really into singer/songwriter stuff, traditional folk, and jam band music. It's forced me to become a better player, playing in the jam band scene, you really need to have a good understanding of the fretboard and you really have to listen to the other musicians and pull interesting musical ideas out on the fly.

Ben-Zion and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.